Windows 10: SSD read speed for games?

Discus and support SSD read speed for games? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just brought a Samsung 869 EVO to run some games off. The particularly game I playing on reaches a peak of around 250 MB/s read speed while the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kol12, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Kol12 Win User

SSD read speed for games?

I just brought a Samsung 869 EVO to run some games off. The particularly game I playing on reaches a peak of around 250 MB/s read speed while the drive is capable of 570 MB/s. Wouldn't my game be loading faster if it was utilizing the maximum read speed of the SSD?

:)

Kol12, Mar 28, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 28, 2019
  3. maxp Win User
    Slow Read Speeds with new SSD In Mac Pro

Enabling AHCI (http://www.bladedmink.com/windows-8-ahci-support-on-macbook-pro/) upped the average speed from 180MB/Sec to 225MB/Sec.

Note the following steps are actually for a Macbook Pro (laptop), but worked a charm on my Mac Pro (desktop).

Edit:

Crucial steps from bladedmink.com incase it ever disappears - Note, read through all these steps before actually performing them.

• Login to Windows
    • Launch Regedit
    • Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\
      • Edit the ErrorControl Data value from 3 to 0.
    • Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride\
      • Edit the 0 Data value from 3 to 0.
    • Shutdown and boot into OS X
    • Download and run https://www.bladedmink.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/AHCI_Enabler.zip on the NTFS drive.
    • Shutdown and boot into Windows
    • Prey you don't get a BSOD.

I am using the Standard Microsoft AHCI controller driver.

I tried to to install the Intel Matrix AHCI drivers, but they actually ran a few percent slower. When I tried to uninstall (and checked the 'also delete drivers') from Device Manager I got a boot loop and had to install windows from scratch.

4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD read speed for games? - Similar Threads - SSD read speed

2. Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD: Why is my external SSD have quite low read speeds when loading a video game? I watch in task manager, reading speed is terrible and game loading takes forever. My motherboard supports 3.0 USB and ssd plugged into that port. I also enabled "better performance" via device...
  3. Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD: Why is my external SSD have quite low read speeds when loading a video game? I watch in task manager, reading speed is terrible and game loading takes forever. My motherboard supports 3.0 USB and ssd plugged into that port. I also enabled "better performance" via device...
  4. Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not getting advertised read speeds on new SSD. Windows problem or hardware problem?: I upgraded a HP Elitebook 8440p from HDD to SSD. Link to new SSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TNQXQ6N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And link to Laptop (I have the i5 version): https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c02030599 I then installed a...
  6. Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System: I am doing an upgrade on my laptop, increasing the RAM to 32GB and installing a 1 TB SSD and a 2 TB SSD. Both are Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 SATA III. I'm trying to figure out which one I should use as my OS Drive. The main purpose of the laptop will be for music production and...
  7. Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System: I am doing an upgrade on my laptop, increasing the RAM to 32GB and installing a 1 TB SSD and a 2 TB SSD. Both are Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 SATA III. I'm trying to figure out which one I should use as my OS Drive. The main purpose of the laptop will be for music production and...
  8. Read and write speed

Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  9. New SSD speed

New SSD speed: I have just swapped out a Hynix M2 drive that came with the HP 470 G5 Pro laptop with a Samsung 970 250GB EVO and the speed as measured with AS SSD is showing me only around half the claimed read speed of 3400Mbs although the bottom figure (see pic) is about double that which...
  10. SSD 4k read speed reduced after october update (win10 v1809)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD 4k read speed reduced after october update (win10 v1809): i am using transcend ssd220s 240 GB ssd in my acer laptop(2015 with sata 3 6 gbps) (windows 10 v1803) initially i had tested the drive with crystal disk mark only 4k read/write speed .....i got 27-28 MB/s but after 4-5 months of use and with windows 10 (v1809) ..i tested it...