Windows 10: SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience

Discus and support SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; My 2 oldest are from 2008. That makes it 8 years for these OCZ. They never failed. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 24, 2016.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience

My 2 oldest are from 2008. That makes it 8 years for these OCZ. They never failed.

2. JazzSus Win User

I had so many crashes but non of them related to SSD My first one was X25-M 80GB and still running without problems

JazzSus, Feb 27, 2016
  3. The first SSD I bought was an Intel 510 - 120 GB SSD when I built my system 5 years ago. That SSD started life with Win 7 Ult, upgraded to Win 8.0 then 8.1 and is still running the Win 10 Insider Previews with only 94% Media Wearout with 3.01 TB host writes.

IownAmoneyPit, Feb 27, 2016
  4. tinmar49 Win User

I am using a Corsair Force 3 120gb for this tp build, it has 3.4gb writes, and 2.5gb reads, I am starting to retire this capacity simply because larger ones are so much cheaper now. I have Corsair 120's, Kingston 120's and 240's, Sandisk 240, OCZ 60, Samsung 840 pro 128, 850 pro 256, 850 evo 500, Verbatim 128, none of which show any signs of problems. As for spinners, I have had 4 fail. Of course, none of my ssd's have had a lot of use to wear them out.

tinmar49, Feb 27, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    It's funny. I have that one too. It still works.

6. MUGEN02 Win User
    I've been using SSD's for 7 years now in my PC and the only problem I had was running 2 corsair performance 256gb(samsung based ssd) in raid-0 deteriated performance after about 9-12 months of use as a OS drive/main storage. I've switched over to a samsung 850 pro 512gb a year and a half ago and haven't had any problems with it. I also have 850 Pros in my PS3/PS4*Wink

Ps. for cheap Samsung SSD prices check out jet.com with a 10-20% off first order promo code.*Party

MUGEN02, Feb 28, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    The only SSD I've lost in around 6 years of using them was when I left one in a pocket in a pair of jeans and then put the jeans into a washing machine.

I didn't actually dare try using it -- it didn't look too bad but I just slung it away.

Otherwise never a problem with SSD's --- come to think of it too I haven't really had any problem with HDD's either -- probably 2 in the whole time I've been using computers (> 25 years). In any case decent BACKUP resolves any failure whether HDD or SSDS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 28, 2016
  8. SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience

It will be many years before that happens.

I'm expecting something like ReRAM to be readily available, before Flash based SSDs become as cheap as HDDs.

Given the dodgy way SSD memory cells work, I'm not surprised at all (there was an earlier story about SSDs losing data if they are unpowered too long).

Ironically, they probably last longer if they are "lightly" used.

How are you getting such a small quantity of write operations?

When I'm using the Internet, my page file size is constantly oscillating (up and down by ~1MB/s).
    I currently have 9 GB of RAM spare too. *Mad

lehnerus2000, Feb 28, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Feb 28, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Be careful though when downloading -- don't click the wrong arrow - these sites can be a little confusing unless you watch carefully before pressing the download button.

The tool though is a good one.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 28, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Major Geeks is quite safe place to download from just got to read program description as they warn if there's any added "feature" with it, something like "Add Supported".

CountMike, Feb 28, 2016
  12. brummyfan Win User
    *Thumbs Yes, top site for downloads, my first choice site.

brummyfan, Feb 28, 2016
  13. dencal Win User

First purchased a Crucial C300 128gb in 2010, cost £230 with cloning software.
    Have used this on every insider update after many years service prior to that, with never any problems.
    Astonishing to think how much SSD,s have reduced in price since they first became available.

dencal, Feb 28, 2016
  14. RonCFL Win User
    I have 2 Transcend 512GB SATA III and 2 Crucial MX200 250GB SATA III .
    going over 2nd years now .... so far so good ..*Smile

RonCFL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience - Similar Threads - SSD reliability real

2. What's world's longest lasting SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What's world's longest lasting SSD: I want to buy SSD or NVMe for my PC, what is world's longest lasting SSD? 183994
  3. New profiles experience in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    New profiles experience in Google Chrome: If you're one of the many families who share a computer in your home, or someone who uses their computer for both work and personal browsing, these stories may be familiar: You spent the previous day hand-picking your favorite browser colors and theme, only to discover that...
  4. Real-world practices to optimize Windows 10 update deployments

in Windows 10 News
    Real-world practices to optimize Windows 10 update deployments: Since the initial launch of Windows 10 in 2015, many of you have sought release-over-release efficiencies to ensure that the devices and users in your environments remain protected and productive. Based on discussions with, and feedback received from enterprise customers...
  5. Real-world weather static & Real-world weather update every 15 minutes DON'T WORK

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Real-world weather static & Real-world weather update every 15 minutes DON'T WORK: My Friend has Flight Simulator X an I just put his copy on my PC an Both Computer's are connected to the Internet an we keep getting this message " An error occurred while downloading Real-World Weather. Please check your Internet connection and configuration and try again."...
  6. Real world maximum wifi transfer speeds?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Real world maximum wifi transfer speeds?: A question out of curiosity, not need or a problem. It seems to be pretty well known that the fastest internet transfer speeds come through a connection using an ethernet cable, and for various reasons including signal processing overhead, a wifi connection can not reach...
  7. Windows Update for Business & Windows Analytics: real-world experience

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update for Business & Windows Analytics: real-world experience: Over the past two months, we have shared insight into how Windows Update for Business leverages diagnostic data to monitor servicing channels and quickly address issues. We also provided suggested configuration guidance around setting up automatic updates, managing feature...
  8. No colored circle with Real World Cursor Editor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No colored circle with Real World Cursor Editor?: Using the app: Real World Cursor Editor (realworld cursor editor - Google Search), I have been trying to get a colored circle around my cursor. I am able to color the cursor and to establish a "hot point," after selecting "Circle," I can't get the circle to be colored....
  9. Real-world JavaScript performance in Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    Real-world JavaScript performance in Chrome: The V8 JavaScript engine is a cornerstone of fast browsing in Chrome. Over the course of the past year, the V8 team has developed a new method for measuring performance against snapshots of real web pages. Using insights from real-world measurements, the V8 team improved the...
  10. Kroll Ontrack on field SSD reliability

in Windows 10 News
    Kroll Ontrack on field SSD reliability: How likely are you to lose data from an SSD failure? According to Kroll Ontrack's survey of almost 2,000 people, pretty likely: 24 percent of respondents had lost data due to SSD failures. Here's what you need to know. Kroll's online survey found that just 5 percent of...