Windows 10: SSD seems to have failed completely

Discus and support SSD seems to have failed completely in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Microsoft has streamlined activation over the years, your hardware is the 'key' now. In fact, if an OEM PC was built and supplied with W8 or W10 a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bree, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

SSD seems to have failed completely

Microsoft has streamlined activation over the years, your hardware is the 'key' now. In fact, if an OEM PC was built and supplied with W8 or W10 a product key would have been embedded in the firmware. If so, Setup should read this and not even bother to ask if you want to install Home or Pro, it will know which to install from the embedded key.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
  2. bombfrog Win User

Hi all,

I have been getting BSOD - UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION a few times a day this week and a few other errors in event viewer that seemed to point to HDD failure.

Each time it would go back in to automatic repair mode which would fail but after a few restarts it came back up each time. Today I tried to fix it and ran chkdsk /r c: . it took a while and when I came back into the room a couple of hours later it was back in automatic repair, which this time is stuck in an infinite loop.

I assume that it's new SSD time but I have no idea how to I stall WIN10 on the new one. I don't have a disk as it was a download upgrade from Win8.1

Any advice on how to get Windows onto the new drive, retrieve the old product key and preferably any data (very little as I use Dropbox) and old software keys and appdata would be life-saving at this point.

:)

bombfrog, Apr 10, 2018
  3. Computer unable to boot from USB

Yeah after making a new one and testing it on another machine it still failed to boot into the recovery or reinstall windows screen.

I've since then taken the SSD out and put it into a laptop which did show the recovery window but it failed on all the restores etc. and even failed to properly format the SSD and create the appropriate volumes when I chose to do a complete reinstall.

It seems that the SSD is probably not the only thing that has something wrong with it but is there anything that comes to mind that would cause the SSD to react in such a way?

Thanks

Danny H100, Apr 10, 2018
  4. SSD seems to have failed completely

Media Creation tool seems to have failed.

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade
    manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

How to download official
    Windows 10 ISO files

How to: upgrade
    from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Contact Chat support after the Windows 10 installation is complete, if setup did not complete on time. Click Start > All Apps > Contact Support. Explain your situation to the chat agent.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 10, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Other software keys may be a problem, depends on what the software is. But Windows 10 itself isn't a problem.

You don't need a key. The PC has a digital licence linked to the unique hardware ID of the PC and stored on Microsoft's activation servers. You just do a clean install of the same edition it had before (Home or Pro) and if asked for a key click the 'I don't have one' link. It then activates automatically from the digital licence as soon as it can contact the activation servers. The ssd/hdd is not part of the hardware ID, so you can replace it and still get activated.

These tutorials will help...

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Clean Install Windows 10

Once you have a working Windows 10 on the new SSD you may be able to put the old SSD in an external drive case and retrieve software keys and/or data from it. A lot depends on what exactly is the software you had.

6. bombfrog Win User
    Thank you, I had no idea you could do it with no product key.

bombfrog, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

SSD seems to have failed completely

1. SSD seems to have failed completely - Similar Threads - SSD seems failed

2. Windows 11 seems to have split between two SSD's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 seems to have split between two SSD's: After the update to Win 11 from 10 the pc will not run unless two drives connected.I have a 1TB SSD C:/ drive and another 1tb SSD as my G:/ drive both have lots of spare space.Windows will not load unless BOTH drives are connected. If I disconnect the C:/ drive it is...
  3. Windows 11 seems to have split between two SSD's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 seems to have split between two SSD's: After the update to Win 11 from 10 the pc will not run unless two drives connected.I have a 1TB SSD C:/ drive and another 1tb SSD as my G:/ drive both have lots of spare space.Windows will not load unless BOTH drives are connected. If I disconnect the C:/ drive it is...
  4. Failing SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing SSD?: Hi there, I've been having issues with my SSD having response times in the 1000s and very slow write speeds. I've tried a plethora of things to fix it, everything I can think of, and I just ran chkdisk and was confronted with this. Should I replace the drive considering these...
  5. Failing SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing SSD?: Hi there, I've been having issues with my SSD having response times in the 1000s and very slow write speeds. I've tried a plethora of things to fix it, everything I can think of, and I just ran chkdisk and was confronted with this. Should I replace the drive considering these...
  6. Bluetooth seems completely disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth seems completely disabled: Hi, my bluetooth isn't working. In the notification center, the bluetooth options gone missing, and in device manager, the bluetooth section was missing, but I pressed Show Hidden Devices, and then it turned up in device manager again, but bluetooth still wasn't working. I...
  7. Downloads keep failing before they have completed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads keep failing before they have completed: I have two computers running Windows 10 version 1909, both connected to the internet via the same router. On the laptop, downloads keep failing, but I do not have this problem on the desktop computer. I have had this problem on the laptop for a couple of days now. Before...
  8. Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete: I am running chkdsk P: /r on a new 8TB internal drive before putting it in service. I just noticed in the command prompt window, it seems to have stopped. The progress and ETA are not changing. I think it has been that way for at least 2 hours. I opened disk management,...
  9. Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete

in Windows 10 Support
    Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete: I am running chkdsk P: /r on a new 8TB internal drive before putting it in service. I just noticed in the command prompt window, it seems to have stopped. The progress and ETA are not changing. I think it has been that way for at least 2 hours. I opened disk management,...
  10. Win 10 upgrade seems to have crashed SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 upgrade seems to have crashed SSD: Hello All, My Toshiba Tecra W50 was running fine on Windows 7. Regrettably, I overlooked disabling the popup which automatically scheduled and performed the upgrade to 10. While just exploring a bit to decide whether to keep 10 or use the Settings app to return to 7, I...