Windows 10: SSD Setup

Discus and support SSD Setup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Wonder if they make a Sata3 Controller that will work on my board? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zplugger, Feb 3, 2016.

1. zplugger Win User

SSD Setup

Wonder if they make a Sata3 Controller that will work on my board?

zplugger, Feb 3, 2016
  2. Word Man Win User

Don't know. Maybe others here do.

How happy are you with it at SATA2 speeds? Does the benchmarking really mean anything?

Word Man, Feb 3, 2016
  3. zplugger Win User
    zplugger, Feb 3, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

SSD Setup

jds63, Feb 3, 2016
  5. zplugger Win User
    Thanks for info jds63, just ordered Two SATA3 Ports SATA III 2 Port Internal 6Gbps PCI Expre Card ASM1061 Chipset | eBay . Not sure if it will help much,but will give it a try. Going to build new system next year,just getting by for now. Problem I have now is one SSD and one HDD in the computer. Have a switch that can power on and off each drive,but the HDD will not boot if bios mode is AHCI ,but get better performace from SSD when in AHCI mode. Hard to do this stuff with older system.

zplugger, Feb 3, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    I am not familiar with doing this, was learning more myself by reading. Sure will not be worse then what it is just from researching it.
    Guess was something needed to know before buying a SATA III SSD, having only SATA II controller on the board. Since Samsung are not the cheapest SSD. Good luck and your welcome.

Correct AHCI drivers will help to.

jds63, Feb 3, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    You've just switched to AHCI mode. Make sure TRIM is enabled, from Admin Command prompt and run:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

If not, run this:
    fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  8. zplugger Win User

SSD Setup

Just want to thank everyone for all your help,up and running with all drives without problems. Set my other two sata drives to AHCI, guess this should have been done when I installed windows10. The Sata drives are for backup and storage,only power them up when needed. Have switches on front of computer to control power to the drives,why have it spinning if not needed. Still running my Samsung on Sata2 port because of being older system,but see a little difference in performance over sata drives. Maybe it time to push forward on new build.Did order a Sata lll pci express card for my system,not sure if it will help any. Will post back after I install it.

zplugger, Feb 4, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    Yeah, usually AHCI is enabled before hand and drivers are installed before the OS. To get the best out of what you have with SATA II it's best to have it enabled. Not sure understanding parts on powering up & down the SATA drives, no need to do it for a SSD, a HDD you can use settings in Power Options to shut down drive after certain time rather then what you are doing.

Always use Samsung on new system, so not a loss there. Welcome, good luck on whatever you choose to do from here.

jds63, Feb 4, 2016
  10. zplugger Win User
    Hello jds63
    Power Options to shut down drive? Are you telling me if I have 3 hard drives in a computer I can power down two of them in options. I learn something every day and want to learn a lot more, can you explain this better.

zplugger, Feb 4, 2016
  11. jds63 Win User
    Yes, believe it works for spinners (HDD) only. Set from default of 20 min. to never spin down. I do not like idea of spinning up and down i think does more damage then just leaving this option set to off or never.

SSD Setup [​IMG]

In control panel select Power Options then select change your Plan settings, see Change Advanced Power settings choose that to get here.

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

SSD Setup

1. SSD Setup - Similar Threads - SSD Setup

2. Would installing windows on a SSD affect my dynamic harddisk setup? Can I delete Individual...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would installing windows on a SSD affect my dynamic harddisk setup? Can I delete Individual...: I had set up Dynamic HDD without knowing what it was in the past and now I have the need to Install windows, the setup is something like this https://i.imgur.com/bnwThjd.png The forum is not accepting my images for some reasonI reinstalled windows and none of the drives...
  3. Would installing windows on a SSD affect my dynamic harddisk setup? Can I delete Individual...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Would installing windows on a SSD affect my dynamic harddisk setup? Can I delete Individual...: I had set up Dynamic HDD without knowing what it was in the past and now I have the need to Install windows, the setup is something like this https://i.imgur.com/bnwThjd.png The forum is not accepting my images for some reasonI reinstalled windows and none of the drives...
  4. How do I get windows setup to see my SSD 980 pro? Which used to be from a ps5.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get windows setup to see my SSD 980 pro? Which used to be from a ps5.: So my ssd m.2 shows up in BIOS as Samsung SSD 980 pro 1t this was originally from a ps5 and when I try to install windows off a disk with a product key the SSD does not show up in the drives. I do not have any other drives to use so, How do I fix this?...
  5. How do I get windows setup to see my SSD 980 pro? Which used to be from a ps5.

How do I get windows setup to see my SSD 980 pro? Which used to be from a ps5.: So my ssd m.2 shows up in BIOS as Samsung SSD 980 pro 1t this was originally from a ps5 and when I try to install windows off a disk with a product key the SSD does not show up in the drives. I do not have any other drives to use so, How do I fix this?...
  6. How do I get windows setup to see my SSD 980 pro? Which used to be from a ps5.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How can I stop BSOD on Windows Setup after Fresh Install onto SSD from USB.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop BSOD on Windows Setup after Fresh Install onto SSD from USB.: I followed this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html in order to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Home onto my SSD from my hard drive.Now I am experiencing BSOD when attempting to set up Windows. Specifically during the pin setup, Cortana...
  8. How can I stop BSOD on Windows Setup after Fresh Install onto SSD from USB.

How can I stop BSOD on Windows Setup after Fresh Install onto SSD from USB.: I followed this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html in order to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Home onto my SSD from my hard drive.Now I am experiencing BSOD when attempting to set up Windows. Specifically during the pin setup, Cortana...
  9. How can I stop BSOD on Windows Setup after Fresh Install onto SSD from USB.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. BSOD during setup of Windows on SSD from USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during setup of Windows on SSD from USB: I followed this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html in order to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Home onto my SSD from my hard drive.Now I am experiencing BSOD when attempting to set up Windows. Specifically during the pin setup, Cortana...