Windows 10: Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

Discus and support Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RaviDarji, May 23, 2022.

1. RaviDarji Win User

Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My ssd also not visible in bios option only hdd is showing, so please explain me how my ssd become primary device and visible in bios menu.

:)

RaviDarji, May 23, 2022

2. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, May 23, 2022
  3. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

Try setting the BIOS boot mode to "Legacy".

What method did you select to clone the disk?

Could it be that you cloned the damaged system partition onto the SSD?

Does it have an active boot partition?

Frederik Long, May 23, 2022
  4. zbook Win User

New SSD is not an option to boot from

The new drive only displays one partition with 99% free.
    Please comment on the steps made for:

" I loaded windows on to that one"

zbook, May 23, 2022
Thema:

1. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios - Similar Threads - Ssd showing boot

2. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  3. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  4. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  5. SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!

SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!: I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, and upgraded to a SSD last week. Installed Windows 10 on it through media tool via usb and now i can't seem to see it on my bios boot order except my HDD! Although i can still see it in the information tab. I need help...
  6. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios: I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My...
  7. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios: I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My...
  8. SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS: I have an SSD that I want to use as my boot drive. I recently cloned my 250GB HDD to my 240GB SSD with Macrium Reflect (I want to put the operating system on the SSD and use the HDD for storage of videos, large games, etc.) This SSD shows up in task manager, but when I go...
  9. SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu: Hello everyone, my laptop came with windows installed in HDD. I decided to buy SSD and install Windows in it. With the help of USB boot device, I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows on SSD, but forgot to format the reserved partition of HDD. Now SSD doesn't show up...
  10. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS: I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I...