Windows 10: SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device

Discus and support SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello About a week ago my laptop stopped working, because my 512gb Samsung ssd 840 Pro series hard drive failed somehow. I moved the drive to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lomppu, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Lomppu Win User

SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device

Hello

About a week ago my laptop stopped working, because my 512gb Samsung ssd 840 Pro series hard drive failed somehow. I moved the drive to my desktop pc, and found that it had had its partitions deleted somehow. I downloaded multiple applications to save some of my personal data from the drive, with the intention of formatting the drive and reinstalling windows on it.

I formatted the drive succesfully and put it back in my laptop. I booted from my usb drive containing a windows media creation tool and installed windows on the ssd. However, my laptop refuses to boot from the ssd.

I ran diskpart on command prompt, and it shows my ssd as a "microsoft storage space device". Also the drive's type shows up as "spaces". My working ssd on my desktop pc shows up by its own name and its type is "ATA". I think this is why the drive can't be used as a boot drive, am I right? I really don't know.

I have run out of patience, please help me! I wan't to install windows on this drive.

Thank you!

:)

Lomppu, Jul 3, 2019
  2. efeman Win User

Windows 10 Storage Space doesn't show up on new install

I have a working Windows 10 install on a SATA SSD, with a Storage Space set up with several drives. Today, I installed Windows 10 on a new NVMe drive, and the Storage Space doesn't show up. The drives that make up the Storage Space do show
    up in UEFI, Device Manager, and Intel RST.

If I plug the old SSD back in and boot to the old install, the Storage Space shows up.

I've searched online and everything suggests that Windows should automatically detect the Storage Space. Looking for any guidance.

EDIT: I have a support case open with Microsoft. Level 1 techs couldn't figure it out, so I have a Level 2 tech call set up.

efeman, Jul 3, 2019
  3. esel Win User
    Windows 10 Storage Space doesn't show up on new install

I have a working Windows 10 install on a SATA SSD, with a Storage Space set up with several drives. Today, I installed Windows 10 on a new NVMe drive, and the Storage Space doesn't show up. The drives that make up the Storage Space do show up in UEFI, Device Manager, and Intel RST.

If I plug the old SSD back in and boot to the old install, the Storage Space shows up.

I've searched online and everything suggests that Windows should automatically detect the Storage Space. Looking for any guidance.

EDIT: I have a support case open with Microsoft. Level 1 techs couldn't figure it out, so I have a Level 2 tech call set up. One weird thing I noticed is that the old install shows an extra drive (5 instead of 4) in device manager, and an extra device called "Microsoft Storage Spaces Device" under Disk Drives.

esel, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Geosammy Win User

Show storage space in This PC

I can't get This PC to show the storage space bars for my drives and I've done all that's been suggested in this thread.
    Any ideas why I might not be able to make the storage space bars show?

Geosammy, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device - Similar Threads - SSD showing microsoft

2. Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?: I've been having a lot of issues lately with my computer, namely that one of the disks keeps clocking at 100%. I thought that the way to fix this would be to basically reinstall windows 10 and format my storage. It helped a little, but the issue still seems to be present.I...
  3. Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?: I've been having a lot of issues lately with my computer, namely that one of the disks keeps clocking at 100%. I thought that the way to fix this would be to basically reinstall windows 10 and format my storage. It helped a little, but the issue still seems to be present.I...
  4. Converting a Microsoft Storage Space Device back to a regular storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 970EVO SSD showing up as Windows Storage Space Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    970EVO SSD showing up as Windows Storage Space Device: 970EVO SSD showing up as Windows Storage Space Device instead of SSD970 Evo. I have two m.2 NVME 970 EVOs installed but I only see one of them correctly listed. I can see only 1x 970 Evo listed in samsung magician. I also have x4 enabled on my motherboard to get higher speeds...
  6. Microsoft Storage Space Device

Microsoft Storage Space Device: I am trying to play assassins creed origins but the drive have downloaded it to is a Microsoft Storage Space Device and this is causing the game to crash at launch. I have been through 2 different members of staff in thee support team who tried many things to help but with...
  7. Microsoft Storage Space Device

Microsoft Storage Space Device: I trying to change my Microsoft Storage Space Device to Basic Storage Space. How can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-storage-space-device/fca44645-3d3b-4e7a-b67f-96d682b622e5
  8. Microsoft storage space device?

Microsoft storage space device?: How to transform a Microsoft Storage Space Device into a normal Disk? it doesn't matter if it has to be cleared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-storage-space-device/d32733bf-e200-4659-8f4b-8a01d7137367"
  9. SATA SSD showing up as portable storage device after upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SATA SSD showing up as portable storage device after upgrade: I recently upgraded my system, moving from Intel (i7-7700K/Asus Maximus IX Formula) to AMD (3900X/Aorus X570 Master). In the process of updating the BIOS, drivers and whatnot, I also updated Windows to 1909. After I was done, I noticed that the icon to "Safely Remove...
  10. Microsoft Storage Space Device

Microsoft Storage Space Device: How do you convert Microsoft Storage Space Device to a Hard Disk because its causing problems https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-storage-space-device/2f6124d8-32aa-44ae-957c-61a039260dff"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft storage space device and samsung magician