Windows 10: SSD space disappeared

Discus and support SSD space disappeared in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, Looking at a friends laptop for them and they have no space left on their hard drive. It’s a HP with a 64Gb SSD and they recently taken it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Rule106, Oct 25, 2020.

1. SSD space disappeared

Hey all,

Looking at a friends laptop for them and they have no space left on their hard drive. It’s a HP with a 64Gb SSD and they recently taken it to Curries to have their screen replaced. When they got it back all the space has been used up. Before it went it was about half full.

I’ve been looking through the drive and can only see about 40GB of items maximum which are photos and a few apps, other than that it shouldn’t be showing that it’s full.

I can’t find anything else to look for. Any ideas what may be causing it to read wrong? Or where other data may be?

Thanks

submitted by /u/Rule106
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Rule106, Oct 25, 2020
  2. dgpretzel Win User

Disappearing SSD Syndrome

Thank you for the information. I have built a new system, and am struggling with a disappearing SSD.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for dealing with a disappearing SSD that is an M.2 device. That is, it doesn't have separate SATA data and power connection-- just the motherboard slot. I have a Plextor M6e SSD plugged in to the M.2 slot on an ASUS Z97 Deluxe 3.1 MB.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

DG

dgpretzel, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Disappearing SSD & failing Windows Updates

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. However, to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Which build version of Windows is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.

Method 1: Updating Storage drivers

It could be an issue with the drivers that is why the SSD is not getting detected after a restart. We can try updating the drivers and see if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below to update the drivers:

1. Press Windows key + X, to open Context menu.
    2. Click on Device Manager.
    3. Expand Disk drives.
    4. Right click on the driver and select Update driver.
    5. If prompted for restart, please restart the PC.

You can also go ahead and check for Storage drivers from the computer manufacturer’s website. If there are storage drivers available, please download and install them.

Method 2: Updating firmware for the SSD

This issue could occur if the latest firmware for the SSD is not installed. You can download latest firmware from the SSD manufacturer website and install it.

For update issue, I would suggest you to please refer the troubleshooting steps in the article

Fix Windows Update errors
    and see if that helps in resolving the issue.

Note: The above article has the steps to perform a clean install of Windows.
    You may take a backup of the data before performing a clean installation.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 25, 2020
  4. Anne Ros Win User

SSD space disappeared

SSD storage keeps filling up on its own

Hi Ash,

There's a possibility that the files are just hidden. As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps below on how to display hidden files that's eating space of your SSD:

• On the Search bar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives,
      and then select OK.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

SSD space disappeared

1. SSD space disappeared - Similar Threads - SSD space disappeared

2. SSD Disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Disappeared: Thought i'd set up some history first.When i bought my 870 QVO SSD i tried plugging it into my machine as per normal and register it just like the others. Easy right?Well it didn't show up..Well to be more specific it didnt show up CORRECTLY.It kept displaying as some LCD...
  3. SSD Disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Disappeared: Thought i'd set up some history first.When i bought my 870 QVO SSD i tried plugging it into my machine as per normal and register it just like the others. Easy right?Well it didn't show up..Well to be more specific it didnt show up CORRECTLY.It kept displaying as some LCD...
  4. SSD Disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. SSD Disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Disappearing: Hello, I recently installed a TEAMGROUP M.2 SSD. I'm able to get it working through various solutions. However, once I turn my computer off, then back on, it's gone again. When I go into Device Manager and turn on show hidden devices, the SSD is there. There is also a Code 45...
  6. SSD Disappearing

SSD Disappearing: Hello, I recently installed a TEAMGROUP M.2 SSD. I'm able to get it working through various solutions. However, once I turn my computer off, then back on, it's gone again. When I go into Device Manager and turn on show hidden devices, the SSD is there. There is also a Code 45...
  7. SSD space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  8. SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  9. SSD space

10. SSD disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD disappeared: [ATTACH] Hi, My SSD KINGSTON SA400S37960G apparently is not working properly. It is a seconday one, and was ok, configured on B unit. But, (probably after an windows update) the unit disappeared, the disk itself is still visible on disk manager, but with no option for...