Windows 10: SSD space problems updating windows 10

Discus and support SSD space problems updating windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Problems Updating Windows 10v1803 System · Asus ASUS TP200 Notebook PC · 2GB RAM, 64 bit · 28.8 SSD (nominal 30 GB) ·... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Russell1950AUS, Jun 10, 2019.

1. SSD space problems updating windows 10

Problems Updating Windows 10v1803

System

· Asus ASUS TP200 Notebook PC

· 2GB RAM, 64 bit

· 28.8 SSD (nominal 30 GB)

· Windows 10 Home

· 32 GB mini SD card

Problem updating to 10v1803:

When I try to update, the system hangs and tells me that I need to free up more space on my SSD (I get various estimates of the space required from 5-8 GB).

The situation:

Almost the entire hard drive is filled with Microsoft associated programs!! If I am lucky I have about 1 GB free. I store everything I can on a 32GB SD card. I do not download movies or music files. I do not run games. My use is primarily emails, plus some word processing and data analysis using Open Office (I removed Microsoft Office to save some space – did not really help). I also have Kaspersky anti-virus, VLC media player & Skype installed but these are not large programs.

Updating procedure:

I have tried to update several times but I invariably get the following:

(1) After some time, I get a message “Found Issues”. I then go to Details

(2) Another message: “Fix Issues” >> Message = Need at least 5 GB on C Drive

(3) Did Disk clean-up saved a few MB only

(4) Tried System clean-up, including “hidden” files but again not much use.

(5) Ran “System” on the computer and checked storage folders

· System 13.2 GB (System files=10.2 GB, Virtual memory=1.72GB, Hibernation=390MB, System restore=192MB)

· Apps and Games 6.2 GB (most of these seem to be required. NOTE: when I add all these up they only come to 2.7 GB - are there hidden files??)

· Documents 7 mB

· Pictures 0

· Music 0

· Video 0

· Mail 0

· One Drive 0

· Desk top 11 mB

· Maps 5 mB

· Other Users 0

· Temp files 1.1 GB

· Other 6.34 GB (have attempted to find out if I can wipe this!)

· Total 26.9 GB

I have also run WinDirStat to see if I could get a better idea of what I could remove. Unfortunately, I am not much the wiser. The analysis was quite similar to the “System” analysis above. It showed a very large >6 GB of unknown files.

To continue the process; a separate message advised me that if system clean-up did not work and removing unessential files (I have none) did not work, then I could attached a separate HDD which I did as follows:

(1) I attached a Seagate 1TB portable hard drive (heaps of space available).

(2) Selected the above HDD (drive E). Did Refresh.

(3) Message: “Ready to Download”.

(4) Closed window and allowed Download to start. This took about 15 minutes.

(5) This was followed by a message “Preparing to install updates”.

(6) The updating process stalled at 41%. New message “Some problems updating”

(7) Did restart but NOTHING, I still do not have enough storage space.

Where do I go now? It seems that there is nothing to be done except to install another operating system! Is there a “lite” Windows version that would work?

:)

Russell1950AUS, Jun 10, 2019

2. Microsoft blocks Windows 10 April Update for Intel SSD 600p Series

Microsoft is blocking some Intel SSDs from installing the April 2018 Update after discovering an incompatibility issue that causes performance and stability issues. In short, the problem was explained by Microsoft as: “When attempting to upgrade to Window 10 April 2018 Update select devices with certain Intel SSDs may enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly.” Microsoft says that this issue has no workaround and that those that have attempted to update Windows 10 to the Windows 10 April 2018 Update should revert back to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709.

Unfortunately, the announcement by Microsoft fails to list what specific Intel SSD models are having issues with the OS update. We contacted Intel and discovered that the Intel SSD 600p Series of client drives that was first introduced to the market in 2016 is the most popular drive that is having issues.

Source: Legit Reviews

biffzinker, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Perseides Win User
    Updating to WIndows 10 in limited SSD space.

Hello, need some advice on how to update a windows 7 to 10 on a Intel NUC with only 32gb of mSATA of SSD. The effective memory space of the SSD is about 28gb. I do have an USB external HDD which I use as a bootup disc/installer, but the limited SSD space in the NUC is a challenge.

Is there any suggestion on what is the best way to proceed? How much space do I have to free up in the old Windows 7 so the installation will proceed properly??

Perseides, Jun 10, 2019
  4. SSD space problems updating windows 10

space in hard dist for update windows 10

Hello ManolisTsitkanos,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you're getting when performing an update?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest following the steps in this article
    to help you free up drive space on your Windows 10 device.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

SSD space problems updating windows 10

1. SSD space problems updating windows 10 - Similar Threads - SSD space problems

2. SSD space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  3. SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD space: My ssd of 120GB in which I have my windows installed and some other programs too has a size of 81GBs filled in it, which means that I will have 30GB+ free space in my ssd but it shows that I have 9 GBs of free space only, why so?...
  4. SSD space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD problems with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD problems with Windows 10: Hi, yesterday I have updated my windows before turning my computer off, and I've been having problems with it today. First I should clarify that I have Windows 10 installed on both my HDD and my SSD, I have used my HDD as the boot drive until I got my SSD about a year ago....
  6. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  7. Can't update Windows due to space in SSD 32GB

Can't update Windows due to space in SSD 32GB: Hi, I have a Lenovo 120S Laptop with Windows 10 . It's been acting weird for long time. I tried to update it but there is no room enough in the memory card. I remove everything non essential, but still not getting free memory space required. Every time I start the Laptop,...
  8. Memory space problem for windows update

Memory space problem for windows update: Hello there.. I'm getting this error while doing an offline update. What's the memory space need for installing the update version 1909? Is 54 GB not enough for update? [ATTACH]...
  9. Space for Windows on SSD

Space for Windows on SSD: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home on a SSD in 37GB partition. Updates are taking space and I now have 11GB left. There is plenty of space on that drive, so I would like to know if it is possible to extend Windows partition without destroying the OS. The other, more...
  10. Updating to WIndows 10 in limited SSD space.

Updating to WIndows 10 in limited SSD space.: Hello, need some advice on how to update a windows 7 to 10 on a Intel NUC with only 32gb of mSATA of SSD. The effective memory space of the SSD is about 28gb. I do have an USB external HDD which I use as a bootup disc/installer, but the limited SSD space in the NUC is a...