Windows 10: SSD Speed halved when running outside of Safe Mode

Discus and support SSD Speed halved when running outside of Safe Mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I'm running into an issue with a particular SSD when benchmarking it outside of Safe Mode. I've been trying to disable various startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PrototypeV3, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SSD Speed halved when running outside of Safe Mode

Hi there,

I'm running into an issue with a particular SSD when benchmarking it outside of Safe Mode. I've been trying to disable various startup services and processes to determine the cause, but to no avail.

When fresh installing a 2015 version of Windows 10 Professional with no further installations of drivers or updates, I've achieved scores in Crystal Disk Mark matching expectation. Running the same fresh install in safe mode yielded even higher results, but this discrepancy is understandable due to background system processes that may exist in Regular boot of even a fresh installation.

That said, after running windows updates and nothing more, 4KiB results are halved or worse in Normal boots. Safe Mode restores this performance to around 80% of expectation.

I've performed the above tests with Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Professional (both to current latest release updates), Windows 10 Professional (2015 installation, no updates), Windows 10 Professional (2015 installation, full updates).

With the exception of base installation 2015 Windows 10 Professional (no updates), all benchmarks result in ~40% 4KiB speeds (tested via both CrystalDIskMark and AS SSD) while running in Normal boot - base installation, no supplemental programs/drivers added on.

My conclusion at the moment is that this may be caused by some kind of Windows update/patch/windows provided drivers. Given that safe mode yields excellent results in all tests, the base drivers from a fresh installation should work just as well for a Regular boot (to my knowledge). Do also note that the 2015 run in Regular boot also ran nearly matching Safe Mode results - I imagine this points to a recent Windows update causing this issue.

I have tested this same SSD across multiple laptops and desktops (all running windows 10 Professional - up to date) - all yielding the same pattern of performance drop in Regular boot vs Safe Mode.

For reference, the primary system configuration:

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Xtreme
    Intel i9 - 9900k

EVGA 1080 TI SC2 Hybrid

Intel Optane SSD 905p 1.5TB - Add in Card (This is the SSD that is causing the aforementioned issues)

Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2 SSD x2
    Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200MHz - 16GB x 4
    Corsair AX1600i PSU

I've contacted Intel to no avail, being referenced datacenter articles for a different line of SSDs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

Best regards,

Andi

:)

PrototypeV3, Dec 12, 2018

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Dec 12, 2018
  4. SSD Speed halved when running outside of Safe Mode

Safe mode problem

Hi,

To get better clarity on the issue, kindly answer the questions below:

• By saying that you have a "Safe mode problem," did you mean to say that your computer is stuck in Safe mode or are you unable to boot it to Safe mode?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted to resolve your concern?

If this is caused by recent programs installed on your computer, then we suggest you to run
    System Restore to revert your system files to an earlier date. To run System Restore, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • On the run command box, type "RSTRUI.EXE" and hit enter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure that you choose the restore point date when your computer was working fine. Please be advised that programs and applications installed on your computer after the restore point will be removed.

Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

SSD Speed halved when running outside of Safe Mode

1. SSD Speed halved when running outside of Safe Mode - Similar Threads - SSD Speed halved

2. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet speeds outside safe mode: So, we just moved my partners computer over to my place and setting up internet. His speeds are just garbage.I get 80/80 speed, he gets tops 20/0.5 No matter if we switch network cables. The speed is consistent. So it seems located to his computerIn safe mode, he gets good...
  3. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow internet speeds outside safe mode: So, we just moved my partners computer over to my place and setting up internet. His speeds are just garbage.I get 80/80 speed, he gets tops 20/0.5 No matter if we switch network cables. The speed is consistent. So it seems located to his computerIn safe mode, he gets good...
  4. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC can't run outside safe mode.: God Day, This issue just happened right this moment. My pc suddenly can't run outside safe mode. When I boot up my pc normally, it just shows a black screen. I don't know how to fix it yet but I hope I get an answer very soon.PC Specifications:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4770...
  6. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC can't run outside safe mode.: God Day, This issue just happened right this moment. My pc suddenly can't run outside safe mode. When I boot up my pc normally, it just shows a black screen. I don't know how to fix it yet but I hope I get an answer very soon.PC Specifications:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4770...
  7. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Upload speed is halved. 2004 19041.450

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upload speed is halved. 2004 19041.450: So I am having this weird issue for like 10 days now. Upload speed doesn't go above 50mbps in Windows. Checking with beta.speedtest.net . It hovers around 48mbps. (Checked with multiple browsers and servers) My connection speed is 100 mbps up and down. I checked same...
  9. Slow speed in normal mode fast speed in safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow speed in normal mode fast speed in safe mode: Hi, I tested my speed (PC connected by Ethernet cable) and a couple of days ago i noticed it had dropped to 20 Mbps (i usually get 60+) so having searched online i found it could be a conflict, a few threads pointed to AMD quick stream so i uninstalled it and it made no...
  10. Internet speed halved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet speed halved: Hello, i have installed windows 10 about a week ago when i saw that my internet speed is 41 mbps (connected with cable, i don't use wifi) although when i was using windows 7 i had 100 mbps. To be honest i can't really tell the difference but i would like it to be up to full...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd speeds halved