Windows 10: SSD Spikes to 100% Usage and Completely Freezes PC Forcing Restart

Discus and support SSD Spikes to 100% Usage and Completely Freezes PC Forcing Restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is a very complicated problem that I have spent weeks trying to fix and I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. Any help is greatly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AiroXV, Feb 2, 2021.

1. AiroXV Win User

SSD Spikes to 100% Usage and Completely Freezes PC Forcing Restart

This is a very complicated problem that I have spent weeks trying to fix and I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm willing to redo things I've previously done just to be sure.

My pc started having issues where randomly while starting games or during games my pc would completely freeze up. I opened task manager and found out that it was NVIDIA Container from the Instant Replay function on GeForce Experience. I turned it off and all seemed to be fixed but a few days later it started happening without GeForce Experience even being installed. After looking up my issue, I found multiple videos and forum posts. I tried every single suggestion and after a week or so I came to a fix by disabling Search Indexing. After doing that, my pc no longer freezes up while playing games. I thought all was well until I tried to record my gameplay again. NVIDIA Container was once again spiking to 100% disk usage and freezing my pc. I waited for over 10 minutes to see if it would fix on it's own but it never did. I did a "keep my files" reinstall of windows but the problem persisted until I disabled Search Indexing and like the first time it only froze while recording. I did a complete wipe just to rule it out and it happened once again. I tried using other programs like OBS, but the problem still happens. I looked in Resource Monitor and Task Manager, but while using OBS and the SSD spikes to 100% there is absolutely no outstanding program showing up on both of them, not even OBS.

I have tried:
    chkdsks, updating drivers, changing power settings, BIOS updates, SFC scan, memory diagnostic tool, reinstalling windows, disabling defragmentation, checking for abnormalities on hardware/connections, reinstalling / removing GeForce Experience, probably more but I can't remember

During my research I found multiple reports of this happening with NVIDIA Container over the years, but this seems to be unrelated to the program itself and I still haven't found any conclusive fixes on that specific issue. I saw a suggestion saying to update the storage controller drivers, my SSD driver is up to date but I can't find anything on updating the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller driver. I tried looking in Event Viewer, I have no idea what to look for though as I have only used it a few times before.

Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section. I saw a post with a similar issue on this section from 2016 but it didn't seem to help.

:)

AiroXV, Feb 2, 2021

2. Windows 10 Freeze, and SSd usage spiked to 100%

Hi, after i install a new SSD my pc randomly freeze, when i check in the task manager my ssd usage is 100% but with 0 transfer rate.

DaraMilford, Feb 2, 2021
  3. why is win 10 spiking my disc usage to 100%

I am having the same issue. My hard drive goes to 100% and completely freezes the computer. I tried the steps above and they did not fix the problem. I notice that the disc usage spikes to 100% whenever I open File Explorer. What can I do to fix this
    problem?

BobNormalForm, Feb 2, 2021
  4. 1Dez Win User

100% Disk usage spike on Windows 10

Recently I have experienced that when running most applications (especially gaming) my Laptop would have a disk usage spike to 99% or 100%. when I check the task manager there is no specific program using the disk, its just at 100% usually forcing me to
    do a hard restart. baring in mind that when I run the programs the usually run smoothly and very randomly the disk usage spikes. this has only been happening since downloading windows 10. I have read many threads and applied many fixes such as disabling SuperFetch,
    BIT service and windows update. I have also disable cloud based protection which seemed to work for some people but not for me, any other suggestions?

1Dez, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

1. SSD Spikes to 100% Usage and Completely Freezes PC Forcing Restart - Similar Threads - SSD Spikes 100%

2. ssd usage spiking causing freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd usage spiking causing freeze: my ssd usage keeps spiking to 100 percent quite randomly and it causes the screen to freeze. it happens every 10 to 15 seconds as long as im doing an activity or moving around my cursor etc. i have reinstalled windows , my disc health is at 100 percent, i have done a clean...
  3. ssd usage spiking causing freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd usage spiking causing freeze: my ssd usage keeps spiking to 100 percent quite randomly and it causes the screen to freeze. it happens every 10 to 15 seconds as long as im doing an activity or moving around my cursor etc. i have reinstalled windows , my disc health is at 100 percent, i have done a clean...
  4. SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Usage Spikes to 100% When using GPU: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHZ Quad-Core ProcessorMemory: 16GB RamDISK: PNY CS900GB SSDGPU: Radeon RX 580 SeriesMotherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 MotherboardPSU: Corsair RM 2019 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power SupplyWindows Version: 21H2 OS...
  5. ssd spikes at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ssd spikes at 100%: My ssd keeps spiking at 100%. I have tried many methods and cannot find a solution. The method that works for most people here I cannot do as I seem to be missing the Standard SATA AHCI Controller:Also, through the use of Crystal Disk Info, I have found that the condition of...
  6. my pc keeps freezing and ssd c drive spikes up to 100 percent usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my pc keeps freezing and ssd c drive spikes up to 100 percent usage: Log Name: Application Source: ESENT Date: 2/22/2021 3:26:01 PM Event ID: 508 Task Category: Performance Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-NSLB0MM Description: svchost 3592,T,97 SRUJet: A request...
  7. Completely Random spikes of 100% disk usage

Completely Random spikes of 100% disk usage: I am having a lot of trouble due to 100% disk usage by 'system' and 'registry' processes even when it is idle. I have tried so many solutions from a lot of places but none worked for me like disabling prefetch, superfetch and search, stopping antivirus processes, my pc is...
  8. PC Crashing BSOD (SSD 100% Usage Spike)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Crashing BSOD (SSD 100% Usage Spike): [ATTACH] I have had my pc for quite a while and it has been working perfectly fine without any problems.Now every time I try to do anything special for more than a few minutes my pc stops for a few seconds then blue screens. Also sometimes when my pc crashes it goes to...
  9. Windows 10 Freeze, and SSd usage spiked to 100%

Windows 10 Freeze, and SSd usage spiked to 100%: Hi, after i install a new SSD my pc randomly freeze, when i check in the task manager my ssd usage is 100% but with 0 transfer rate. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-freeze-and-ssd-usage-spiked-to-100/decd61f2-94c8-4d3a-97c2-c6392efe9f04
  10. Windows 10 Freeze, and SSd usage spiked to 100%

Windows 10 Freeze, and SSd usage spiked to 100%: Hi my name is Kelvin, after i install a new SSD my pc randomly freeze, when i check in the task manager my ssd usage is 100% but with 0 transfer rate. my pc specs is: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1803 AMD Ryzen 1600x 8gb ram ddr4 2666mhz Gtx 1060 here's my driver: [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd 100 usage windows 10 freeze