Windows 10: SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down

Discus and support SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a desktop with C: as an SSD . . . It's totally quiet, which is great. I see an obvious reason to "Shutdown" a spindle drive (the sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mb1280, Mar 30, 2018.

1. mb1280 Win User

SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down

I have a desktop with C: as an SSD . . . It's totally quiet, which is great.

I see an obvious reason to "Shutdown" a spindle drive (the sound stops), but how important is that with an SSD?

Would you say that you should just do a Restart once per week, but Standby is fine the rest of the time?

:)

mb1280, Mar 30, 2018

2. My computer won't shut down

Is there a big difference between a computer shutting down and being put to sleep? I mean, is it wearing down the computer if it's in sleep mode vs. shut down mode.

liannawright, Mar 30, 2018
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Sleep vs Hibernate vs Shut Down

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much. If you use Sleep for extended periods of time you're wasting energy; Sleep puts the computer into a low-power state but it keeps consuming electricity. Hibernation consumes some disk space but generally
    not very much. The Fast Startup feature of Windows 10 (which is on by default) is a sort of hibernation, and using it will get you to your desktop from power-on pretty quickly--about thirty seconds for me. As far as "life and performance" of the computer
    is concerned, as I said, it doesn't matter much.

JimWynne, Mar 30, 2018
  4. SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down

I assume by "shutdown," "restart," and "standby" you are referring to the Windows commands on the start menu.

When you go to standby your hard drive completely powers off, regardless of whether it's an SSD or a mechanical drive. So this is no different than doing a shutdown.

There's no need to periodically restart your computer for the sake of the hard drive. But you'll probably be forced to by a Windows update anyway.

PolarNettles, Mar 30, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    If you mean to just stop disks after set time period, I'm against it in desktops that are never hibernated or set to sleep. For SSDs it doesn't make much difference because they wake up instantly. Another reason for mechanical HDDs is that it takes a lot more power for them to start up and puts a strain on motor while heads have to make multiple passes at each wake up event to find right track and every time they do it's POST routine. All that helps them wear faster. Also introduced noticeable delay in accessing them. With SSDs it's a bit different story, Only controller is active all the time and rest only when accessed so even power savings are in mW so even in battery powered devices are not a problem.

CountMike, Mar 30, 2018
  6. swarfega Win User
    If you're on a fast SSD, then it doesn't make much sense to use hibernation, the SSD is fast enough. Mine usually takes around 6 seconds to boot to the desktop

swarfega, Mar 30, 2018
  7. My desktop has an SSD and two HDDs.
    It's on 24x7.
    The only thing that approaches a shutdown is a Windows update/reboot.
    Or a power failure.
    No worries.

My last computer ... same thing ... for seven years. One HDD failed ... a Seagate (of course!), and it was replaced.
    The box still works, but who wants a seven-year-old computer?

I see no harm in sleeping it when not in use, instead of running 24x7.
    But either way ... no worries at all. It's just an appliance.

margrave55, Mar 30, 2018
  8. SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down

Hi,
    Computers make pretty good filter filters
    Running one 24/ 7 and 365 just increases dust collection.
    [youtube]XQS9Tb8Wsdw[/youtube]

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down

1. SSD: Standby vs. Shut Down - Similar Threads - SSD Standby Shut

2. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  3. Shut down while in standby?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut down while in standby?: Sorry if this is obvious...How do I shut down my laptop while it’s in standby? I’ve created a feedback loop and whenever I turn it on again it’s really loud!!! I know how to sort it but need to restart or turn it off......
  4. Update and restart/shut down vs. just restart/shut down - no matter what, updates anyways

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and restart/shut down vs. just restart/shut down - no matter what, updates anyways: My work laptop occasionally gets non-critical updates, where the menu offers me the opportunity to update and restart, restart, update and shut down, or shut down. However, when I choose just “update” or “restart,” ie NOT one of the “update and” options, it ignores that...
  5. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.: Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-button-vs-shut-down-button-on-screen/b9c98a3c-b0d5-4436-8acd-39788bab7209
  6. Wifi and bluetooth are shut down after standby mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi and bluetooth are shut down after standby mode: Dear community, When I put my Asus UX310UQ in standby mode for more than 10 minutes, the wifi and bluetooth are shut down. All drivers are up to date. For the wifi, I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device..." But nothing works. (Windows 10 Pro 1809) Thanks...
  7. Laptop shutting down when put into standby

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop shutting down when put into standby: Hey guys, hope you're having a nice day.... I'm having a weird problem with my HP Elitebook 8560w where it will shut down after either closing the lid or pressing the power button. In power options I have it set so that when these actions are performed, the laptop goes into...
  8. Bugcheck 9F Computer Shutting Down Instead of Standby, ndis.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bugcheck 9F Computer Shutting Down Instead of Standby, ndis.sys: Long time reader, first post. Recently, Ive noticed my computer shutting down instead of going into standby. This seems to have started a few weeks ago, but I cannot pinpoint the root cause. The bugcheck report lists the error as: BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffe0005473b060,...
  9. RE : sleep vs shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    RE : sleep vs shut down: For 10 years I have been setting my laptops to go to sleep when closing the lids. I did that because a) laptop went back to desktop a lot faster, and b) I was told years ago that "hard shut down" using the power butter was not "healthy" for the computer. In any event,...
  10. Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down: [Note: I am running Windows 10 on the new Retina MacBook via Boot Camp] I've been a Windows user for 20 years so I know the differences between each of these. But in Windows 10 I am experiencing significant battery drains that are not consistent with the performance from...