Windows 10: SSD stops and freezes laptop

Discus and support SSD stops and freezes laptop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've had an odd problem going on for several months now, and am getting close to the root cause but need assistance in finally getting there.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DavidMiller36415, Sep 7, 2018.

1. DavidMiller36415 Win User

SSD stops and freezes laptop

I've had an odd problem going on for several months now, and am getting close to the root cause but need assistance in finally getting there.

Periodically, whether I'm using or not using my Dell 7275, it would freeze. The mouse would still move about the screen, however I was unable to select anything. I couldn't even use ALT/CTRL/Delete to reboot, would have to hard shut down. In instances when I wasn't using it, it would eventually BSOD, but there were never any associated dumps, nor were there any incidents in the event viewer. This happened before I updated to 1803, I updated hoping to resolve the problem, however the problem continued.

Finally I started watching the Performance Monitor until a freeze occurred, and discovered that all activity with the SSD would suddenly disappear from the Performance Monitor logs. Once that occurred, the mouse would move but not select anything, and I would have to hard boot. This leads me to understand why there were no events logged in the event viewer, nor any dumps, as the SSD had ceased functioning.

I have done several stress tests to the SSD, and it always passes with no error. All drivers have been updated.

Oddly enough, I found if I stream Pandora, the problem does not occur, and the system will run fine for hours on end. Once I quit streaming, the system will freeze within 2-3 minutes.

Please help, this has made my 7275 virtually unusable.

Thanks,

Dave

:)

DavidMiller36415, Sep 7, 2018
  2. LeRoyCreamer Win User

laptop freezes up

hi, my laptop is freezing up on windows 10 and i am wondering if there is any steps to stop this from happening cause it's keeps freezing up every time i try to download something thanks for your time!!

LeRoyCreamer, Sep 7, 2018
  3. grfft Win User
    Windows 10 Freezes; SSD's transfer rate goes to 100%

I have solved this issue - so far my SSD freezes have stopped.

I changed the SATA driver from the generic Microsoft one, back to the intel driver provided by ASUS.

I first had this issue when I clean installed windows 10.

Prior to this, I had upgraded my HDD to an SSD while on windows 8.1

after the upgrade to windows 10 I had no issues.

after clean installing windows 10, the SSD freezes began. I went back to a HDD and didn't have this issue, but returned to the SSD and still had this issue. the freezes are only about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I went to my laptop OEM page and downloaded the 2013 intel driver recommended for my laptop. After a restart, the SSD issue stopped and has not returned.

I propose that the generic Microsoft SATA driver is the cause of this issue, on my laptop. My SSD freezing issue occurred only after I started using the generic Microsoft driver, and stopped when I returned to the Intel driver that originally came with my
    laptop.

grfft, Sep 7, 2018
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD stops and freezes laptop - Similar Threads - SSD stops freezes

2. stop indexing with SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    stop indexing with SSD: Just installed a SSD and advised to stop indexing services. What is the difference between stopping indexing services via services.msc and disallowing the drive with the SSD from being indexed? 119326
  3. Laptop freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezes: Hi all im having problems with my laptop. When i turn it on and i login in to windows, i click on any icon or program it says not responding and irs frozen like that. Sometimes the screen just goes black while its frozen and other times it eventually comes back to normal...
  4. Laptop freezes, no bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezes, no bsod: Hello, my windows 10 laptop has been freezing a lot recently and requires me to hard restart it. I've had this problem in May but it went away and came back the beginning of this month, I have tried resetting the pc back to factory new and had no luck....
  5. SSD suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD suddenly stopped working.: Hi, one day I started my laptop and the SSD in it (MZ-7PC256D) suddenly stopped working. What options do I have to get it working, or atleast recover the data in it. I tried putting it in another laptop or checking in BIOS, it's simply not getting detected. EDIT:...
  6. Laptop "freezes" and stops completely working after a few days

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop "freezes" and stops completely working after a few days: Hello, I have this rather old HP Pavilion laptop that I use for one thing only, and that is to feed aircraft data to a website called Flightradar24.com I've not installed many programs on this computer. Except for the data feed software provided by Flightradar24 I have...
  7. After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

in Windows 10 Support
    After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?: Although I treat my laptop as a desktop and keep it running 24/7, this is kind of annoying. I had recently performed a clean reinstall when I upgraded my laptop to a Samsung 850 Evo, and ever since then I've had problems with sleep. If I initiate sleep, hibernation, or...
  8. Computer freezes and stops

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezes and stops: Hi, I was using Windows 8.1 and after upgrading to 10 I get regular freezes and the computer just stops sometimes. I think this is normally just after booting up. Do I need to wait five minutes for it to get going before I try and do anything?! This is not normal, my PC was...
  9. Random freeze of OS - SSD ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Random freeze of OS - SSD ?: Hello, I've recently build a new PC, but I'm having some issues. All components are new besides my SSD/HDD/GPU/DVD. I've updated all drivers + BIOS. My PC randomly freezes for like a minute, and then continues. I've stress-tested my RAM, SSD etc.. but nothing appears...
  10. Laptop Freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Freeze: This might be very typical I'm not sure, basically my laptop is having moments where I'm doing my own thing then it just freezes and I have to forcefully shut it down. Sometimes when I turn it back on it comes up with loads of code and works like normal after, but the other...