Windows 10: SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker?

Discus and support SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone: I'm trying to build a new desktop PC and I'm wondering if you can suggest which SSD (and motherboard) do I need to purchase to have it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ahmd, Sep 5, 2018.

1. ahmd Win User

SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker?

Hi everyone:

I'm trying to build a new desktop PC and I'm wondering if you can
    suggest which SSD (and motherboard) do I need to purchase to have it
    support hardware based full disk encryption with Windows 10 via
    BitLocker?

I'm currently settling on Intel Core i9-7900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.3
    GHz CPU that has to go into the Intel X299 Chipset motherboard.

So I was checking, for instance "Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD".

But will it support hardware based full disk encryption? And if no, which one will? I'm looking for faster M.2 drives.

:)

ahmd, Sep 5, 2018
  2. xfridrich Win User

Bitlocker & Hardware encryption on Samsung EVO 850

I have SSD of
    Samsung 850 EVO
    , it support hardware encryption.

On SSD drive I have multiple partition, one for SYSTEM (CSSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker? :) and one for DATA (DSSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker? :).

I want use hardware encoding with bitlocker for both partition. Actually i'm set bitlocker only for system. Hardware encryption for System is ok where
    manage-bde -status.

For second partition on same drive hardware encryption is not supported. Why? If try set bitlocker for DATA partition, so system use software encryption, not hardware. If I run command in cmd

manage-bde -on D: -fet Hardware

I get error code 0x803100b2 - The drive specified does not support hardware-based encryption.

Its possible some fix it for use hardware encryption on multiple partion on same drive? I can format full drive again.

xfridrich, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Not Able to Enable Hardware Based Bitlocker Encryption On Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10 Pro)

Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything Microsoft, right? SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker? :)

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?

A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted

B) Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)

C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to slower performance)

How?

We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box. No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain. The only modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)

*Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)

*Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:

When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive. From all of the literature I have read, this prompt indicates Software Encryption. When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt.
    Again, from my reading, Hardware

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:

What am I missing? Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4? Is this an OS issue? Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at? Again, these are stock units, fresh out of
    the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):

Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs

How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs • Helge Klein

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive

Encrypted Hard Drive

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker

Site Unavailable

Tags Bitlocker, Encryption, Windows 10 Pro, Hardware Encryption, 1511

PhillyPhotogMagee, Sep 5, 2018
  4. SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker?

(BUG) BitLocker eDrive hardware encryption

Hi,

I did a clean install of Windows 10, and tried to use hardware encryption via BitLocker on my eDrive compliant 850 EVO ssd.

First it just would not use the hardware encryption (asks if I want to encrypt whole drive or only used portion) but I found that Intel rapid storage was conflicting with the process (version V14501081)

When I uninstalled IRST, the setup went right, but after the first reboot/system check, BitLocker has just dissapeared. It can't be found in the Control Panel (see screenshot), trying to open it via search doesn't work and it's not listed when right clicking
    the system drive, but when right clicking my second HDD there is an option to enable it, this brings me to the initialization screen, the BitLocker settings still can't be accessed. There's also no lock icon on the system drive, but BitLocker does ask for
    a password on bootup (don't have TPM).

When typing manage-bde -status C: in the command prompt, I get an error (see screenshot)

screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JiHCu3K.png

This worked perfectly on Windows 8.1 for me.

Edit: Now BitLocker suddenly started working properly. The lock sign is there and the settings are back, still this is strange behaviour.

Thomas Debie, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker?

1. SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker? - Similar Threads - SSD support hardware

2. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker - Hardware encryption: Hello,I trying to enable hardware encrypted disks with bitlocker. We have laptops different models - Dell 6420, Lenovo T470, Lenovo T14 gen 1 and gen 2, Lenovo Carbon X1 gen 9 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 witch all current updates. And different SED disks WD SDBQNTY-256G, Samsung...
  3. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker - Hardware encryption: Hello,I trying to enable hardware encrypted disks with bitlocker. We have laptops different models - Dell 6420, Lenovo T470, Lenovo T14 gen 1 and gen 2, Lenovo Carbon X1 gen 9 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 witch all current updates. And different SED disks WD SDBQNTY-256G, Samsung...
  4. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to check if your computer supports hardware bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to check if your computer supports hardware bitlocker encryption: In powershell, how can I determine if the computer support's bitlocker hardware encryption?I want our install powershell script to auto enable bitlocker. I'd love to default to hardware and fallback to aes.So far, I can only find commands to see which method your hard drive...
  6. Bitlocker full encryption issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker full encryption issue: hi all i have encountered a problem setting up an external hard drive and bitlocker. using full encrypt, after the process is finished and the drive is removed and plugged in again, i get the error that my system is not compartible with the bitlocker version used for the...
  7. Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...

Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...: I’m part of a Microsoft 365 Home family plan. Is there any way to implement full disk encryption using Bitlocker in this scenario? Or is Bitlocker FDE exclusively available to Windows 10 Pro editions? Device encryption isn’t enough for my use case - I need to be able to...
  8. Full-disk encryption of an SSD with Bitlocker. Over-provisioning? Does TRIM work?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Full-disk encryption of an SSD with Bitlocker. Over-provisioning? Does TRIM work?: Hello everybody, I wonder if it is advisable in the case of a complete encryption of an SSD using Bitlocker, to create an unencrypted partition in the size of x percent to give the controller free space in addition to the factory over-provisioning for maintenance tasks like...
  9. Bitlocker hardware encryption

Bitlocker hardware encryption: Im thinking to setup bitlocker but I still dont fully understand how it works. The software encryption part seems simple but how does bitlocker works with the SSD's hardware encryption? There are some articles about how bitlocker trusting the SSD's encryption that had...
  10. New SSD Bitlocker status shows Hardware Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New SSD Bitlocker status shows Hardware Encryption: Just got a new SSD and very impressed. I enabled Bitlocker and the Manage-bed status shows that Bitlocker is using hardware encryption. Why is this? SSD is a Crucial MX500 2.5 inch and the box does not even state that it’s a encrypted SSD. I am so confused. Should I leave...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Hardware-based full disk encryption

2. windows bitlocker SSD support hardware based

3. enable bitlocker edrive during os install windows 10