Windows 10: Ssd too small for system image.

Discus and support Ssd too small for system image. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it. I was going to do one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tomfromoz, Jan 6, 2019.

1. tomfromoz Win User

Ssd too small for system image.

I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it.
    I was going to do one of three things.
    Option 1. Insert new drive and use 3rd party software to clone the drive with the OS
    Option 2. Make a system image and use that on the new SSD.
    Option 3. Extract license and install fresh copy of Win 10.

While waiting on the new drive to arrive I made a system image. Since then the old drive has failed completely. That rules out options 1 and 3.
    I installed the new drive and tried to run system image on it. I get this error "Error details: The disk that is set as active in BIOS is too small to recover the original system disk. Replace the disk with a larger one and retry the restore operation."

Is there any other option I might try? I did read somewhere that system image will take a snapshot of partitions etc and restore that so you need a drive that is equal to or greater in size for this to work. Is this correct?

TIA

:)

tomfromoz, Jan 6, 2019

2. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Jan 6, 2019
  3. System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Jan 6, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Transfer System disk image to SSD

Here's my suggestion: Connect the SSD to the PC.

1. Download: Macrium Reflect Free and install then run.
      IMPORTANT: click on the 1st icon on the top left to create a Macrium Rescue disk (using USB or DVD)
    2. Open Disk Management and make sure the SSD is disk 1.
      From Admin Command, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 1
      clean
      exit
      exit
    3. From Macrium, The disk with Windows currently running will have the partitions as shown in your screen shot above. Click on Clone this disk...
      A Windows popup, click on select a disk to clone to...
      Click on the SSD
    4. Select the 100MB "System Reserved", drag and drop to the destination (SSD)
    5. Select the 60GB "C Drive", drag and drop to the destination(SSD) next to the System Reserved
    6. Click Next->Finish
    7. Once done, shutdown, disconnect the HD and connect the SSD Only
    8. Boot up with the Macrium Rescue disk created in step 1.
    9. Once booted, click on "Fix Windows boot problems" and follow the instruction to complete.
    10. Remove the Rescue disk and reboot.

topgundcp, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Ssd too small for system image. - Similar Threads - Ssd too small

2. Photo editor - image too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo editor - image too small: HiIt is very hard to edit a photo since the latest update of photo editor as the image is too small. I am trying to edit screenshots with information on them and the image is now so small on the screen it is very difficult.Any suggestions? Thanks...
  3. Photo editor - image too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo editor - image too small: HiIt is very hard to edit a photo since the latest update of photo editor as the image is too small. I am trying to edit screenshots with information on them and the image is now so small on the screen it is very difficult.Any suggestions? Thanks...
  4. System Image restore to original disk finds the disk too small!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image restore to original disk finds the disk too small!: I am trying to restore system image to the original drive on original hardware and it fails to complete with errors about the disk being too small.^The disk that is set as active in bios is too small to recover the original disk error 0x80042407."This is the original disk,...
  5. System Image restore to original disk finds the disk too small!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image restore to original disk finds the disk too small!: I am trying to restore system image to the original drive on original hardware and it fails to complete with errors about the disk being too small.^The disk that is set as active in bios is too small to recover the original disk error 0x80042407."This is the original disk,...
  6. Desktop icon images too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon images too small: The icons on my desktop have been normal for a week, but suddenly one of them has gone smaller.I am not using any third party software other than Wallpaper Engine. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance....
  7. Desktop icon images too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon images too small: The icons on my desktop have been normal for a week, but suddenly one of them has gone smaller.I am not using any third party software other than Wallpaper Engine. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance....
  8. Desktop icon images too small

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Icon Images too small

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icon Images too small: [ATTACH] My icons recently became much too small. I am at 125% zoom but before they scaled correctly. Its only system things too (only happening to spotify, nahmic, xbox, etc.) Sorry if this is a common issue....
  10. Ssd too small for system image.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Ssd too small for system image.: I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it. I was going to do one of three things. Option 1. Insert new drive and use 3rd party software to clone the drive with the OS Option 2. Make a system image...