Windows 10: SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh

Discus and support SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After refreshing my Windows installation and configuring a new drive I've noticed that the total host writes on my SSD had decreased. I am using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aka B, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Aka B Win User

SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh

After refreshing my Windows installation and configuring a new drive I've noticed that the total host writes on my SSD had decreased. I am using the program CrystalDiskInfo to get the values. I am using a different version of said program after refreshing the system so maybe there is a difference in how the versions calculate this value? I don't understand how total host writes can decrease. Below are reference images.

Before system refresh:

SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh 44768205-5ddf-40d8-acc6-33c2c715a5e0?upload=true.jpg

After system refresh:

SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh 0315c30f-2fa5-42b4-affd-d2688c197fc1?upload=true.png

Thanks!

:)

Aka B, Mar 13, 2020
  2. Clintlgm Win User

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

What are you talking about, I have Samsung 830 for 5 years and its still running great there is no issue with NTFS and SSD

To the OP all you have to do is use Macrium Reflect to clone your disk to your SSD you'll have to option to shrink your C partition before you start the actual clone check out this video
    it walks you through step by step

Clintlgm, Mar 13, 2020
  3. wanna123 Win User
    Clean Reinstall Windows 10 May Cause Problems to SSD

Hi Microsoft and friends,

Yesterday I clean installed Windows 10 10240 and upgraded to 10586 on my SSD and it caused unusually high Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads value on my SSD, for Total Host Writes value, it increased almost 1.2 times of my SSD size. I would like to post
    the process here and wonder if anyone of you can confirm the same experience as I had.

This is what I have done to clean reinstall Windows 10:

1. Install CrystalDiskInfo and record the Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads value

2. Insert Windows 10 10240 USB boot drive, choose clean install, removes everything on the computer, and the tip shows choose this option when you want to recycle the device.

3. Wait till Windows 10 10240 installation is completed

4. Get online and receive update of Windows 10 10586, and some other updates.

5. Restart and install CrystalDiskInfo, and record the new Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads value.

Here is the shocking part: The difference between Total Host Writes is about 1.2 times of the size of SSD, and the difference between Total Host Reads is about 0.3 times of the size of SSD. I did not install anything else.

So here is my testing data:

SSD Size / Total Host Writes Difference / Total Host Reads Difference

1 TB / 1170 GB / 312 GB

256 GB / 310 GB / 50 GB

Basically just to clean install the windows 10 10240 and upgrade to Windows 10 10586, it writes more data than I normally use for a whole year. It seems like it wipes out every bit of cells on my SSD and writes extra cells to install the system from USB
    drive. Imagine if I clean install several times, the SSD would be degraded very soon due to such a large amount of Writes and Reads.

This is the data from my experience and I might be wrong. I wonder any of you in this forum would be able to test on your own and post your data. I also wonder if Microsoft Windows Team would be able to test it too and to see if my SSD is problematic or
    it just works this way. If it works this way, then I think it should be a concern for all SSD users.

Thank you.

wanna123, Mar 13, 2020
  4. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

1. SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh - Similar Threads - SSD Total Host

2. SSD 100% active but not writing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD 100% active but not writing: Hi,SSD 100% active but not writing causing system to hangHave looked around and looks like AHCI control was the cause of this problem however, have followed reccomendations on adding AHCI option to power management and changing the settings with no success. The sytem still...
  3. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate W10 to SSD: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCurrently I have two HDD Drives W10 installed on one of them , the second one System image stored on it,Soon I will get another two SSD Drives "SATA or M2" , The question is how to connect both SSD Drives and HDD drives so I can restore system image to a...
  4. Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Total system writes on a SSD boot drive: I recently got a m.2 SSD as boot drive. While going through its SSD's toolkit recommended by the manufacturer, I noticed that atleast 1GB of data gets written on every boot sometimes 2 or 5. I checked the resources monitor, it showed the system that is doing all the writing....
  5. Totally un-responding W10 install

in Windows 10 Support
    Totally un-responding W10 install: I've been given a machine to look at for a friend but it has me stumped, and I'm quite techy! W10 Pro, booted it the other day and is now stuck at a blank desktop (personalised background image is there), with a totally unresponsive taskbar. Spinning wheel when you try and...
  6. Slow SSD Write Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow SSD Write Speed: Slow SSD Write Speed Windows 10 build 1909 Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From...
  7. Down loading W10 to a SSD or a HDD that is connected to a host pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Down loading W10 to a SSD or a HDD that is connected to a host pc: Hello, My hard drive crashed in my photography PC. I decided to upgrade the drive to a combination of a SSD for the OS, and the HDD for storage. I'm using my kids PC attempt loading W10 onto either of the drives...I need something manageable to get my system back up and...
  8. 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10: I have, with problems managed to install W10 on a NVMe disk, but my 2,5" SSD are nowhere to be seen. they are GPT disks and so I assume the NVMe also are (GPT are greyed out in diskmanager. So what can I do to get acess ? Finn ***Moved from Insiders forum***...
  9. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...
  10. W10 writes into my D: partition...?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 writes into my D: partition...?: Hello, I hope someone has some insight into this strange thing... I have for years had my HD split into two partitions, one C:\ for windows and D:\ for my own data, not the stuff that windows insists on writing to C:\Users\<myname>\ but files that I create myself and want...