Windows 10: SSD transfer questions

Discus and support SSD transfer questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am new to installing windows. I think I want to move Windows10 to a SSD. The thing is I don't have the budget for a large SSD, and my HDD is 500GB.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sekramer10, Jan 24, 2020.

1. SSD transfer questions

I am new to installing windows. I think I want to move Windows10 to a SSD. The thing is I don't have the budget for a large SSD, and my HDD is 500GB. I'm going to get a 120GB SSD, because my PC is getting slow. As I understand it, right now, the OS, my programs, their data, and my files are all on the HDD. Can I just move the OS to the SSD? If I do this can I still run the programs that are on the HDD? Do I have to move the programs onto the SSD to run them? Do I have to re-install any programs anywhere after moving the OS to the SSD? Just curious how this works. It seems like I could also move programs from the HDD onto the SSD and they might be even faster? Do I have to format the HDD after moving the OSS to the SSD? I'd rather not. I just want the OS to work from the SSD I think and have everything else the same, unless moving programs to the SSD will make them faster too. Can I have programs run from the HDD and the SSD after moving the OS?

Many questions,
    Thanks.

:)

sekramer10, Jan 24, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile SSD transfer questions :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 24, 2020
  3. xpac5896 Win User
    Transfer OS from 512 to 1tb SSD

I'm in the process of building a new rig. I would like to transfer the OS from my current 512 SSD to a 1tb SSD. My Os is already linked to my MS account and I printed out the steps about using the troubleshooter after a significant hardware change. The Question is: Can I clone the 512 to the 1tb or does it require a clean install? OS is Win 10 Pro.

xpac5896, Jan 24, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

SSD transfer questions

Transfer System disk image to SSD

Here's my suggestion: Connect the SSD to the PC.

1. Download: Macrium Reflect Free and install then run.
      IMPORTANT: click on the 1st icon on the top left to create a Macrium Rescue disk (using USB or DVD)
    2. Open Disk Management and make sure the SSD is disk 1.
      From Admin Command, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 1
      clean
      exit
      exit
    3. From Macrium, The disk with Windows currently running will have the partitions as shown in your screen shot above. Click on Clone this disk...
      A Windows popup, click on select a disk to clone to...
      Click on the SSD
    4. Select the 100MB "System Reserved", drag and drop to the destination (SSD)
    5. Select the 60GB "C Drive", drag and drop to the destination(SSD) next to the System Reserved
    6. Click Next->Finish
    7. Once done, shutdown, disconnect the HD and connect the SSD Only
    8. Boot up with the Macrium Rescue disk created in step 1.
    9. Once booted, click on "Fix Windows boot problems" and follow the instruction to complete.
    10. Remove the Rescue disk and reboot.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

SSD transfer questions

1. SSD transfer questions - Similar Threads - SSD transfer questions

2. SSD question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD question: Hello, I have a question. I have bought a 1TB SSD from crucial.com Crucial MX500 1000GB 2.5 inch SSD. My SSD that Is installed on the computer is a 250GB SSD. Should I get rid of the 250GB SSD and go ahead and buy a new Operating System Windows 10 Home which is the cheapest,...
  3. ssd to ssd windows transfer

ssd to ssd windows transfer: I have a prebuilt pc, and I want to buy a new ssd and have windows on that, my current ssd that has windows I do not want the other stuff on it or to copy it, I just want windows on my new ssd....
  4. SSD question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD question: Windows 10 20H2 has been writing 3x more than reading on my SSD, I don't even write that much data myself. It's averaging about 50GBs a day everyday since I bought it and it's chopping the life off my SSD. I've had S.M.A.R.T bullshit me before but I think that's not the case...
  5. Transfer Windows to SSD

Transfer Windows to SSD: Hello I have a new laptop with 2 disks : 1 HDD GPT disk 930.88 GB partition C ; 99MB EFI System partition ; 529MB Recovery partition and 1 SSD 119.23 GB. The SSD initially came as MBR disk, having a partition with HPfiles, 1 with some system files and 1 unallocated....
  6. Transfer SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer SSD to HDD: Is it possible to transfer all the data from my SSD to my HDD? I've been looking for a way to this, but haven't found a way to do so. submitted by /u/Sl0thZombi3s [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpzv4w/transfer_ssd_to_hdd/
  7. Transfer license question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer license question: I currently have a retail version of Windows 10 Pro. I have my digital license connected to my Microsoft account. If I want to transfer to a new PC, would I have to deactivate my product key on my old PC in order to use it on the new one?...
  8. TRANSFER WINDOWS TO SSD

TRANSFER WINDOWS TO SSD: i am using a HP Laptop which was purchased 1month ago and has active warranty Details of the laptop is given below Model : HP 15S-DU0094TU SN# CND9244LC0 PRODUCT ID : 7NH61PA Microsoft Windows Product ID : 00327-35847-94668-AAOEM I want to add an extra internal...
  9. SSD question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD question: Samsung Magician isn't Win 10 ready. Can I uninstall it? Will Win 10 properly manage my SSD without Magician? Sometimes my PC will not shut down. It powers off, but a few seconds later reboots. I suspect Magician and Windows incompatibility. Early reports of Win 10...
  10. License Transfer question

in Windows 10 Support
    License Transfer question: I have a new HP envy 17.3" laptop that came with W8.1. I have upgraded to W10. I also have an older laptop, Toshiba Satellite P755/P750 that previously had W7 but was upgraded with a retail version of W8 then updated to W8.1. This was the Pro edition. I upgraded to W10...