Windows 10: SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled

Discus and support SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the SSD in my Win10 desktop set to TRIM weekly, but it isn't running as scheduled. Any idea why? [img] 154593 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nikki605, Apr 18, 2020.

1. nikki605 Win User

SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled

I have the SSD in my Win10 desktop set to TRIM weekly, but it isn't running as scheduled. Any idea why?

SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled [​IMG]

:)

nikki605, Apr 18, 2020

2. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

As I understand, optimization is either defrag (HD) or trim (SSD), depending on the disk type. And if I understand Trim, it does not operate independently of the O/S; garbage collection is done sporadically without assist of the O/S, but Trim must be operated
    through the O/S. And, again, if I understand, Trim and garbage collection are not the same thing. If Trim was not able to be scheduled or if Trim did not need to be scheduled, then Microsoft would not have included it in their Optimization Center for SSDs.
    But Microsoft did include it, and appears to not be running it for SSDs even when included in a schedule.

I was asking why this was so, and if there was a solution to it.

As Microsoft appears to have no solution, I will look for a third-party Trim that can be scheduled outside of the Optimization Center.

Thx. ITG

ITgreybeard, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Why is it, that in Windows 10, I can trim an SSD manually via the optimization center, but the scheduled Trim is not happening? The SATA drive is set up as an ordinary NTFS drive, is recognized as an SSD (just as my disk drives are recognized correctly)
    and it is included in the choice of drives to optimize (daily). Windows defragments the disk drives on the daily schedule, but the calendar for SSD optimization via TRIM just starts racking up the days since the last manually stimulated occurrence. Howcomezit?

BTW, I would search Windows events for the optimization, but Microsoft forgot, for the umpteenth time, to include a full search mechanism in the Event Viewer.

Oh - with regard to categorization of this question, is this topic considered one related to devices or to storage?

%-\

ITG

ITgreybeard, Apr 18, 2020
  4. SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled

Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Optimization for HDD is only defragmentation, optimization for SSD may be TRIMming or defragmentation if SSD is too fragmented.

One may say TRIM is OS dependent because there must be someone to send SSD information about file deleting. So, e.g. Windows XP does not support TRIM and one have to install additional programs for TRIM functionality.

Garbage collection is SSD internal mechanism, it works much better if SSD gets TRIM information.

To determine does TRIM works or no there are some third party programs. But please note, even if SSD have got TRIM information this does nor mean it will use it immediately. It may delay it for sometime even for day or more if it have a lot to do due to garbage
    collection.

Igor Leyko, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled

1. SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled - Similar Threads - SSD TRIM Running

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  5. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  6. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  7. Can't run TRIM on PNY CS900 SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't run TRIM on PNY CS900 SSD: I just upgraded my hard drive (MBR) with a PNY SSD on a HP p6640f running Windows 10 v 1909 and everything went well. The new SSD is recognized in Device Manager with no flags. I went into Windows Optimize Drives and my Wind C: shows a ss drive however it states "optimization...
  8. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  9. SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.: Hey guys, So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also...
  10. SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.: Hey guys, So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also...