Windows 10: SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?

Discus and support SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I apologize if this thread appears a bit odd. I reconstructed this after deciding I shouldn't continue in another thread that is somewhat unrelated.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by W10 Tweaker, Sep 24, 2019.

1. SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?

I apologize if this thread appears a bit odd. I reconstructed this after deciding I shouldn't continue in another thread that is somewhat unrelated. That thread was located here;

Disk Optimization Turns Off...

Recently, I've noticed that my SSD is not getting trimmed on the same schedule as my HDD is defragged. I have my OS with a small reserved section for future use on an SSD and data on a HDD with the defrag schedule set to weekly.

The HDD (D: Data & F: old Windows) and the reserved section on the SSD (L: Linux) appear to get defragged or trimmed on a weekly schedule as configured although they appear somewhat staggered.

I have seen the same thing on my SSD. The small data section got trimmed on a weekly schedule same as the HDD, however; the OS section of the SSD did not get trimmed. It was necessary to run trim manually.

I am curious dalchina, on your SSD with partitions, was the area without the OS trimmed on the weekly schedule, similar to the HDD?

It appears that the OS section on an SSD is not being trimmed on schedule. Odd!

The mystery that I'm curious about is simply that it would appear that C: on an SSD gets trimmed on schedule when there's only the single drive installed. When more than one drive is installed, C: on the SSD does NOT get trimmed without manually running the trim action.

I have no great concerns, only curiosity. So far this seems to be happening on both 1809 & 1903. Has anyone else experienced this feature or anything different with trim behaviour?

:)

W10 Tweaker, Sep 24, 2019
  2. f14tomcat Win User

SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?

Then I am confused. Maybe Windows is simply reporting it wrong.

SSD in question. All below partitions in the Windows Optimize screen are on the same physical SSD.

SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why? [​IMG]

Before Optimize of the partition "Virgin RTM":

After Optimize of the partition "Virgin RTM":

I only optimized the one. Closed Windows Optimize app and re-opened.
    Shows the one I just did, time stamp is correct. Other two seemed to be untouched, unaltered.

f14tomcat, Sep 24, 2019
  3. NavyLCDR Win User

SSDs don't allocate physical sections of the drive to partitions the way that HDDs do. When an SSD is trimmed, the only command sent to the firmware is to run the trim process. Due to the way SSDs store data in the physical cells of the drive, it is impossible to specify only a single partition to be trimmed. Every cell that contains obsolete data must be processed and any cell in the drive can contain data from any partition.

NavyLCDR, Sep 24, 2019
  4. SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why?

COOL!

So it would appear that scheduling only applies to defrag and not trim on SSD's, interesting. Thanks for that tidbit Mooly.

W10 Tweaker, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD with a HDD installed not being trimmed automatically, why? - Similar Threads - SSD HDD installed

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  5. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  6. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  7. ssd trim

ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  8. Automatic Trim on SSD not being performed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Trim on SSD not being performed: For some reason, although enabled on my Windows 10 1803, it does not run automatically. Through an admin CMD and using "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" I get the expected "DisableDeleteNotify = 0", but for some reason, when I checked it its last execution happened...
  9. SSD Trim Question

SSD Trim Question: Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first...
  10. SSD trim on an MBR install

SSD trim on an MBR install: I currently see 3 drives in 'optimize drives' as follows: C: , System Reserved which I assume has the boot tables and stuff, and what appears to be a network drive displayed \\?Volume{8ebc5064-0000-0000- etc. In Disk Management I have the System Reserve partition and C:...