Windows 10: SSD with a Windows installation isn't recognized as a boot drive

Discus and support SSD with a Windows installation isn't recognized as a boot drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone! Recently my HDD has failed due to a physical inconvenience. Normally, that wouldn't matter, as I had my Windows installation on a M.2 SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lycoder, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Lycoder Win User

SSD with a Windows installation isn't recognized as a boot drive

Hi everyone! Recently my HDD has failed due to a physical inconvenience. Normally, that wouldn't matter, as I had my Windows installation on a M.2 SSD drive, but the catch is that, when first building my computer, I didn't yet have that M.2 drive, and so, I had to install Windows on the HDD. I did format my drive when I got the SSD, and did a clean install on that SSD, but it seems that I didn't format the boot partition on the HDD ?, so when turning the computer on, the "Select an operating system" prompt comes up with two OSs popping up, "Windows 10 on Volume 7" SSD install and "Windows 10 on Volume 4" Previous HDD install. Right now I removed the HDD drive, leaving only the SSD in the system. It is correctly recognized by the BIOS, but its not bootable, it doesnt appear in the Boot menu list, even though I can access its files using a USB drive with a Windows installer inside made with the Media Creation Tool. Any clues on how could I at least boot that SSD Windows install thru a USB drive or something? Ideally I'd like to directly boot to it, but any help is appreciated!

:)

Lycoder, Nov 1, 2020

2. SSD as Boot Drive? How?

Well, I have Windows installed on the SSD, along with the drivers and browser. Now, I'm trying to install other stuff (Steam, games, etc.), but the mechanical drive isn't showing. I'm sure I missed a step?

Chosen Juan, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Printer isn´t working after latest update.

After the latest update from Windows, my Canon Pixma ip6600 printer isnt working. In Device Manager it shows up as working properly but when I go to print it isn´t listed as an option in any programs. Troubleshoot suggests it´s a USB 2 printer on a USB
    3 port and that that´s the problem but that cant be since it worked fine before the update. I´ve tried to uninstall and plug it back in but that doesn´t work either.

Sigurdur WilliamBrynjarsson, Nov 1, 2020
  4. SSD with a Windows installation isn't recognized as a boot drive

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

SSD with a Windows installation isn't recognized as a boot drive

1. SSD with a Windows installation isn't recognized as a boot drive - Similar Threads - SSD installation isn't

2. SSD Drive Not recognized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Drive Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it by a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launching on an already...
  3. SSD Drive Not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Drive Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it by a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launching on an already...
  4. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  5. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  6. Windows Installer not recognizing SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Installer not recognizing SSD: Just got this laptop with no OS, Asus VivoBook S 14" S433EQ with an intel ssdpeknw 512gb ssd Bios recognizes ssd, i can easily install linux and format said ssd on it, but the owner of this computer needs windows on it, only problem is that when i try to install windows on...
  7. Windows 10 isn't recognizing new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 isn't recognizing new SSD: Hi! I recently bought a Samsung SSD (860 EVO). I used the Samsung cloning software and cloned my laptop's native SSHD. I then replaced the native drive with the newly cloned SSD, and got the error "Hard Drive - Not Installed". I've tried everything I could to no avail. I...
  8. Disk drive isn't recognized

Disk drive isn't recognized: Hello. I am trying to use an external hard drive to free up some space on my computer. However, when I plugged it in via USB, there was no pop up window, and I could not find it in the documents. I am using a windows 10 laptop and a SP Silicon power drive. I read other...
  9. SSD Drive not being recognized

SSD Drive not being recognized: Hello. I recently reinstalled Windows after my laptop completely stopped working correctly (got the Automatic Repair loop and accidentally messed up Windows). Anyways, I got my laptop fixed and reinstalled Windows, but the only drive being recognized is my HDD (as the C:...
  10. SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer: Recently I've purchased a SSD (Crucial MX200) as replacement for the original HD of my laptop (Lenovo ideapad s510p). The problem is that my bios doesn't recognize the SSD, even though the manufacturer (Crucial) guarantee the total compatibility of the device with my system...