Windows 10: SSD with USB interface for Storage Spaces

Discus and support SSD with USB interface for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces (pull down the top item): "You can use a variety of types of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FormUser, Mar 2, 2019.

1. FormUser Win User

SSD with USB interface for Storage Spaces

According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces (pull down the top item):

"You can use a variety of types of drives with Storage Spaces, including USB, SATA, and SAS drives."

However, when I wanted to use a USB flash drive to create a storage pool, the Storage Spaces Control Panel said: "No drives that work with Storage Spaces are available."

Will a SSD with a USB interface work for Storage Spaces?

:)

FormUser, Mar 2, 2019
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

Why some unaccesible space is reserved in a storage?

Much like qubit said, for powers of 2, yes. But lately you are seeing SSD's with 120GB or 240 GB capacity, etc. They are automatically reserving the extra space, so a 240GB SSD now has the same storage space as one listed as 256. They've just set aside 16GB for wear levelling, etc.

rtwjunkie, Mar 2, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Conflicting information on my Storage Space...

From disk management, it does report the same storage and used space as from explorer.
    May I ask did you try to create a storage pool or something ? if so, you should not mess with this.

Is this disk an external disk connected via USB ? WD or Seagate branch ?

I have the feeling that this disk is formatted with GPT type using 512K emulation so Windows get confused. To verify:

1. Right click on Disk 6 ->Properties->Volumes. What does it show on partition styles ? GPT ?
    2. Download Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free, install then run. What does it show on disk 7 ? MBR ?

If step 1 shows GPT and step 2 shows MBR then definitely the disk was formatted using 512K emulation. The reason they did this so that it would be recognized by WinXP or if you connect it to a TV.

Windows Updates failed is another problem you have. First, it tried to updates from 1703 -> 1709 and failed so any subsequent updates to 1803 also failed.

topgundcp, Mar 2, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

SSD storage keeps filling up on its own

Hi Ash,

There's a possibility that the files are just hidden. As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps below on how to display hidden files that's eating space of your SSD:

• On the Search bar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives,
      and then select OK.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD with USB interface for Storage Spaces - Similar Threads - SSD USB interface

2. Storage space issue with the windows store and my SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage space issue with the windows store and my SSD: The problem I am having is that my SSD is full yet it won't display the files that are apparently taking up all the space. I would be extremely grateful if someone could show me how to get rid of the files and free up the space. I became aware of this problem the other day...
  3. Low on storage space on SSD

Low on storage space on SSD: My laptop 2 years old, if that has a 100GB SSD drive C:Drive and a 930GB D:Drive conventional disk drive, which is pretty common these days. Windows OS is on the SSD and the computer is now prompting me to create space on the SSD as it is 90% full. Windows OS and c:users...
  4. Storage Spaces: SSD Tiering

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage Spaces: SSD Tiering: I'm building a volume with 10 HDDs and an SSD. If I configure it through the UI will it automatically tier the SSD or does that still need to be done via powershell? Windows 10 Enterprise (latest build, forget exact number) submitted by /u/DirkEdgewoode [link] [comments]...
  5. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  6. USB interface

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB interface: Windows 10 up to date with vers 1803. Will interface with USB memory sticks and other external devices but has now stopped interfacing with mobiles phones, Huawe and Samsung, when plugged into any USB port....
  7. storage space

storage space: hi, I have a problem when I try to install an app in says storage full clear up some space. the problem is I don't want to delete any thing. so is there's a way to increase my storage play without deleting any thing ?...
  8. SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device: Hello About a week ago my laptop stopped working, because my 512gb Samsung ssd 840 Pro series hard drive failed somehow. I moved the drive to my desktop pc, and found that it had had its partitions deleted somehow. I downloaded multiple applications to save some of my...
  9. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  10. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...