Windows 10: SSD with Win 10 computer swap

Discus and support SSD with Win 10 computer swap in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I received a used computer from my cousin after the MB on one of mine failed. His was faster so I pulled the drive from MY failed computer and put it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Topcanadian, Nov 30, 2018.

1. SSD with Win 10 computer swap

I received a used computer from my cousin after the MB on one of mine failed. His was faster so I pulled the drive from MY failed computer and put it in what was previously his computer. I had been using his old computer as is for a couple months before I did this. After the swap my HD from my work computer failed, so I took the SSD from his old computer with Win10 and some programs installed and put it into my work computer, but it wont boot. I tried using a repair disk and what happens no matter which repair method I try is that it says the SSD is locked and I cant do anthing. Any suggestions on how to use this SSD and unlock it , or at the very least retrieve the activation code from Win10 so I can do a clean install?

:)

Topcanadian, Nov 30, 2018
  2. ddgm Win User

Swap SSDs between 2 PCs.

No. 1 PC i7 920 12 GB Ram 256 GB Crucial SSD Win 10 Pro Insider Fast Ring 1809 Ver. 17751.1 Originaly Win 7 Pro Retail

No. 2 PC i7 3770 32 GB Ram 256 GB Crucial SSD Win 10 Home Insider Skippy 1803 Ver. 18219.1 Originaly Win 7 Home Premium

I would like to have the Win 10 Pro on the faster machine, can I just swap the SSDs?

3. ddgm91 Win User
    Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers

After reading the supplied link, I went through the recommended steps and it shows " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" on both PCs.I guess I just have to have the fortitude to make the SSD swap. Still, a little leary of doing it. I suppose what I'm really looking for is confirmation that it's going to be fool proof.

ddgm91, Nov 30, 2018
  4. steve4CTL Win User

SSD with Win 10 computer swap

Upgrade from Win 10-32bit to Win 10-64bit using a new SSD boot drive

What are the steps to no cost upgrade to 64-bit Windows 10 while swapping out the boot HHD to a SSD. I have a Dell T3400 Precision Desktop computer with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor. My current boot drive is a WD Raptor and has already been upgraded
    from Win 7 Pro 32 bit to Win 10 32-bit. From what I've read so far the steps appear to be:

1. Clone the Raptor HHD to the SSD.

2. Install the SSD to be sure it works properly and windows is still activated.

3. Perform the Custom Install from the ISO media (DVD) and select keep no data (for a clean install).

Is this correct or am I missing something or is there s simpler way to do it?

steve4CTL, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

SSD with Win 10 computer swap

1. SSD with Win 10 computer swap - Similar Threads - SSD computer swap

2. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  3. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  4. Licenses and swapping SSD's with Windows 10 and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licenses and swapping SSD's with Windows 10 and Windows 11: I've got some questions about licenses and a clean install of Windows 11.I'm using a HP laptop that until recently contained an SSD NVMe M.2 let's call that SSD "SSD1" with Windows 10 Professional installed with an OEM license. Windows 10 was installed on this laptop when I...
  5. Licenses and swapping SSD's with Windows 10 and Windows 11

Licenses and swapping SSD's with Windows 10 and Windows 11: I've got some questions about licenses and a clean install of Windows 11.I'm using a HP laptop that until recently contained an SSD NVMe M.2 let's call that SSD "SSD1" with Windows 10 Professional installed with an OEM license. Windows 10 was installed on this laptop when I...
  6. Windows licenses swap Win 10 / Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows licenses swap Win 10 / Win 11: Hi all, I have a tricky question that I didn't managed to find a full answer to. As a short background, I currently have a desktop PC which runs Win 10 Pro activation key was bought separately and a laptop which already came with Win 11 Home installed. Note that the PC is not...
  7. Windows licenses swap Win 10 / Win 11

Windows licenses swap Win 10 / Win 11: Hi all, I have a tricky question that I didn't managed to find a full answer to. As a short background, I currently have a desktop PC which runs Win 10 Pro activation key was bought separately and a laptop which already came with Win 11 Home installed. Note that the PC is not...
  8. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping a HDD for an SSD: I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files. submitted by /u/VolphanGaming...
  9. Swapping to ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows 10 Editions - Swap Computers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Editions - Swap Computers: Hi Everyone. I have currently a desktop computer running Windows 10 Pro (32bit), I upgraded via GWX from Windows 7 Professional. I also have a laptop computer running Windows 10 Home (64bit), I upgraded via GWX from Windows 7 Home Premium. Both are currently...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd win10 swap....