Windows 10: SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...

Discus and support SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Title is title submitted by /u/6_or_9 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/6_or_9, Jan 14, 2021.

1. /u/6_or_9 Win User

SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...

/u/6_or_9, Jan 14, 2021

2. How Cloning HDD to SSD disc Win 10

Can I old HDD with Win 10 / 64 bit somehow Direct coping, cloning, etc. to SSD disc, from which tools or App, or do I have Beckup win 10 to some blank HDD and Restore it to new SSD disc!?

AndjelkoGotalWP, Jan 14, 2021
  3. RobM77 Win User
    Copying files from HDD to SSD - not enough space error

My PC has a 500GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB HDD for data (both NTFS). The 1TB HDD has about 750GB of files on it. I've just successfully upgraded to a 1TB SSD (quick formatted as NTFS and showing in Win Explorer as having 1TB free) and I want to copy all
    the files from the 1TB HDD to the 1TB SSD. I've tried a straight copy/paste in Win Explorer, but it refuses, saying there's not enough space on the destination drive. This confuses me, as it's only at three quarters capacity. How do I copy the files?

RobM77, Jan 14, 2021
  4. SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...

Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from Download Windows 10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...

1. SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data... - Similar Threads - SSD HDD connect

2. Reinstall win 11 and data hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall win 11 and data hdd: Hello all. I hope this makes sense. I’m using win 11 on my ssd.c drive I also have 2 internal HDDs spare D & emergency back up F holding data only plugged into the MB. I need to do a fresh install of win11. If I unplug my 2 data hdd’s from the MB. Then reinstall win 11 onto...
  3. Reinstall win 11 and data hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall win 11 and data hdd: Hello all. I hope this makes sense. I’m using win 11 on my ssd.c drive I also have 2 internal HDDs spare D & emergency back up F holding data only plugged into the MB. I need to do a fresh install of win11. If I unplug my 2 data hdd’s from the MB. Then reinstall win 11 onto...
  4. Copy data from HDD to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy data from HDD to HDD: I need to copy 1.5TB of data (audio/video) onto a new 4TB drive and wondered if anyone had recommendations. I need to keep the data on the source drive. Free is good. I did read a post here that suggested Robocopy, but that seems a bit daunting for an old fogie like me....
  5. Copying HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copying HDD to SSD: Is there an easy way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-hdd-to-ssd/740b1582-9387-463e-abeb-a4323fc65270
  6. New win 10 istall on ssd, hdd detcted, but no data (partitionned?)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New win 10 istall on ssd, hdd detcted, but no data (partitionned?): Hi all, I had a computer running on Win 7, I upgraded the hardware including buying a new ssd and installed win 10 on that ssd. I left all disks plugged in while doing that, so I now have: 1) My main ssd with Win 10, running great 2) my old ssd that had the win 7 partition,...
  7. Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD: I bought a laptop from a pawn shop ( old one was dying ). The "new" machine has very small SSD ( 110gb ) and I want to replace it with an HDD ( 1TB ) I recently purchased? The following image is the output from a Powershell command I found here on the forums. It's a retail...
  8. Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?: I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer. If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I have to delte Win 10 on the HDD first? I guess it is not allowed having two Windows 10 on the same computer (both...
  9. Win 7-to- Win 10 + HDD-to-SSD in what order?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7-to- Win 10 + HDD-to-SSD in what order?: I have a nice 4-year old laptop with a 7500 hybrid HDD running win7. 32GB RAM + Intel i7-4700 2.4GHz + NVIDIA graphics processor. I'm currently using 250GB of a 1TB drive I want to upgrade to Win10 in part, because I have an intractible error every time I create or...
  10. can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?: i just bought new hdd and i want to install win 10 on it. i have a working win 10 and win 10 iso, can i just install win 10 to my other hard drive without usb or dvd? 23799