Windows 10: SSD won't boot after clone

Discus and support SSD won't boot after clone in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bglaze1, Dec 7, 2020.

1. bglaze1 Win User

SSD won't boot after clone

Hi all,
    I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium Reflect to a new Samsung SSD. And it appeared to clone everything correctly.
    I then powered off my computer and swapped out the hard drive replacing it with my newly cloned SSD on the same SATA connector. When I powered back on the system would show a black screen with the Dell logo and just get stuck there forever.
    So I was trying to figure out what I might need to do. I saw some posts on here when googling for solutions, so I thought I would try sharing my info and see if anyone can see something that I need to do to get things to work. I am using Win10 version 2004.
    I have the screen shots from macrium and from disk managment tool to try to help provide some more information.
    If there is anything else I can do or share to help, please let me know, I have been trying different things off and on for several weeks, and am about ready to give up and just say it won't work.

SSD won't boot after clone [​IMG]

SSD won't boot after clone [​IMG]

:)

bglaze1, Dec 7, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 7, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Dec 7, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

1. SSD won't boot after clone - Similar Threads - SSD won't boot

2. PC won't boot with cloned ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC won't boot with cloned ssd: Hi guys, I purchased a new 2TB NVME SSD to replace the 525GB one that is currently in the PC. I've tried both clonezilla and Acronis 2014 I have a license for that version and both do the same thing.When I swap the drive in the PC acts like it's going to boot but sits with...
  3. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  4. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, Apologies for this post, as I can see that many others have had this problem and have been given solutions, but the fix often involves writing some code in the command line and I'm not too familiar with this so don't want to try it without some help telling me what to...
  5. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, I cloned my HDD to an SSD I added to an M2 slot, but it won't boot. I have followed various guides to troubleshooting this without success. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS and checked it's in the right mode. I tried booting from a USB and using the Windows auto...
  6. Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot

Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot: Hi, I wanted to migrate entirely from my current boot drive (Samsung 950 EVO m.2 256 GB) to a newly purchased drive that I want to use a my boot drive (Samsung 980 PRO m.2 1TB) I first tried cloning with Macrium Reflect, not realizing the destination drive needed to be...
  7. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Cloned SSD Won't boot: I have recently purchased a 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD with the intention to make it my main boot drive and use my current HDD as extra storage. I connected the SSD to my PC using another SATA data and power cable. I proceeded to clone through Acronis and everything seemed to be...
  8. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: HP 17-G153US Laptop Windows 10 EaseUS Partition master 14 used to clone Here is a shot from EaseUs and my device manager. My cloned SSD wont boot when installed but will from usb connection. I have cloned hard drives without this much trouble in the past. Any help or...
  9. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD

Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD: Hi, I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop, and installed an SSD in the computer's m.2 port. I then cloned the existing HD to the SSD, changed the SSD to the default boot in BIOS, and then re-formatted the HD. Everything worked fine for the first few days - I...