Windows 10: SSD wont boot into OS & PC Boots to black screen with a single character (The Letter b)

Discus and support SSD wont boot into OS & PC Boots to black screen with a single character (The Letter b) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I have Two Issues here Issue 1 My friend has been having issues with his boot drive (a SanDisk 120GB SSD) and has spent the better part of 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OhItsPhant0m, May 19, 2019.

1. SSD wont boot into OS & PC Boots to black screen with a single character (The Letter b)

So I have Two Issues here

Issue 1

My friend has been having issues with his boot drive (a SanDisk 120GB SSD) and has spent the better part of 4 days trying to get it to boot into windows, even using a windows 10 boot USB I had created, this didn't work and doesn't want to lose the data (his uni projects are on there so a clean install wouldn't work, and apparently the USB boot drive couldn't fix the drive).

Issue 2

So today he hands me the drive and this is where the second issue of this thread occurs, my friend asked me to attempt to try and retrieve the data if possible, and then reset the drive, I attempted to do so and when booting into my OS, the screen stayed black and only showed the letter b in the top left of the screen (i plugged in my HDD after this and it booted into the OS just fine, also booted without the HDD. This was repeated on another pc and the same result occurred).

Anyone know what is up here?, personally, I believe the OS drive has either a bad sector or a corrupt system file but I can't quite explain the letter b showing up upon boot from every other PC except my friends PC.

any ideas welcome in aiding to fix the issue.

:)

OhItsPhant0m, May 19, 2019
  2. KBD
    KBD Win User

Comp wont boot..

i would guess video card. I dont know how a PC with a bad CPU would behave but i assume it wont boot at all. My advice would be this, disconnect everything from the board but the PSU, 1 stick of RAM, GPU and try to run it. If it still wont boot up try putting GPU in another slot or try another stick of RAM. If that wont help use known good components (RAM, GPU, PSU) and see if it will boot. Also make sure heartsink is seated properly as the person above said.

3. Windows 10 wont boot black screen.

Hi Joel,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

If you see the black screen try the below steps:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
    • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.

Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video

• Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
    • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
    • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 19, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

SSD wont boot into OS & PC Boots to black screen with a single character (The Letter b)

Windows 10 wont boot

Hi,

To resolve this issue, we suggest that you start your PC in safe mode from the boot options menu. Follow the steps below:

• Restart your computer until you reach the boot options menu.
    • Select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use safe mode. Select
      Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
    • After your PC restarts, select 5 or F5 to restart you PC in Safe Mode with Networking.

If you are unable to start in safe mode from the boot options menu, you can start your PC in safe mode using an installation disc or USB. Refer to the following link:

Troubleshoot black screen problems

For steps on how to start your PC in safe mode using an installation media, select
    No, I'm not signed in > No, I don't have a recovery drive in the troubleshooting
    walkthrough.

Once you are in safe mode, kindly use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. For steps on how to run the System File Checker tool, check the following link:

Use the System File Checker tool

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, May 19, 2019
Thema:

SSD wont boot into OS & PC Boots to black screen with a single character (The Letter b)

1. SSD wont boot into OS & PC Boots to black screen with a single character (The Letter b) - Similar Threads - SSD wont boot

2. Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected: Hello I bought a new ssd to use for storage. Pc works and boots fine without it but when I turn the pc on when connected it boots to a black screen, then flashes to another black screen and sits there. I’ve tried many methods so far and can’t seem to figure out why it would...
  3. Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected: Hello I bought a new ssd to use for storage. Pc works and boots fine without it but when I turn the pc on when connected it boots to a black screen, then flashes to another black screen and sits there. I’ve tried many methods so far and can’t seem to figure out why it would...
  4. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  5. PC Boot to black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Boot to black screen: I tried to boot my computer this morning and it sits at a black screen with a solid white dash shown. I tried restarting and the screen doesn't activate now. This PC has worked great for 2 years now after I built it, and was running fine last night. What could have caused...
  6. PC Boot to black screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Boot to black screen: I tried to boot my computer this morning and it sits at a black screen with a solid white dash shown. I tried restarting and the screen doesn't activate now. This PC has worked great for 2 years now after I built it, and was running fine last night. What could have caused...
  7. PC Boot to black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. PC wont boot past logo, stays on with black screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC wont boot past logo, stays on with black screen: My friend's computer won't boot past the windows logo, he can only go into the BIOS, other than that the pc stays on with a black screen. Would it be possible to find and download an official Windows 10 recovery image to load from a USB? This way we could try to repair the...
  9. Pc boots to black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc boots to black screen: When I start my pc, all i see is a black screen without a cursor that never goes away. The keyboard connected to the pc lights up. I have tried to reset the CMOS but that didn't help....
  10. Os wont boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Os wont boot up: Hello i have a bit of a problem my hdd wont boot up on gateway fx6800 pc. It works on my other pc but for some odd reason it doesnt. I installed other hdd and it booted up fine but those where about 40gb and 150gb the one im trying to upgrade to is about 500gb wd and my pc...