Windows 10: SSD Won't boot up, Windows might be corrupted.

Discus and support SSD Won't boot up, Windows might be corrupted. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I bought an SSD (Samsung 850 evo 500GB) and I've installed Windows 10 in it (I didn't clone it from another hard drive). At first, after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ClipEater, Jul 20, 2016.

1. ClipEater Win User

SSD Won't boot up, Windows might be corrupted.

Hello,

I bought an SSD (Samsung 850 evo 500GB) and I've installed Windows 10 in it (I didn't clone it from another hard drive). At first, after the installation, I was able to log in and I started to install programs, getting my files in there, that sort of stuff. In that same day, about 10-20 minutes after the Windows isntalation was complete, it froze (Windows stoped responding, I couldn't properly shut down, not reboot) so I had to force the computer to shut down (by pressing the power button for a few seconds).

After the "forced" shut down I tried rebooting it, but it didn't work, the screen stayed black untill, eventualy, there would be a message saying there was a Hardware or Software problem and I needed to repair Windows. I tried reparing it through the same process of the instalation (with a usb pen drive), but it didn't work, the SSD wasn't recognized anymore (sometimes no even in the Bios), because of that I cannot format, nor install Windows again. I even tried to run linux to try and format it, but it wasn't recognized.

I'm not sure what the root of the problem is, it might be a problem with the SSD, but that is unlikely (since it was brand new), it might be my computer, since I don't have any other computers to test it with, but I dought it (because it works fine with the hard-drive it had prior), or it might be just that Windows is corrupted, but it doesn't seem like that would make it do that the SSD was not recugnized by the system.

If anyone can help, I would be gratefull. And if any other details I might have left out are needed I will provide them.

Thank you, o/.

P.S. When the System recognizes the SSD (in the BIOS), it does recognize it as a Windows instalation.

:)

ClipEater, Jul 20, 2016
  2. AcoyZ Win User

How can I check in windows 10 if I have an OEM version of windows or a retail version?

Well, I might just have to use the clean install route again then, the Vista CD is long gone, the pc is over 6 years old so. Hopefully I won't have any problems and the SSD will boot up windows after the drivers are installed.

Thanks for all the help!

Kind regards,

AcoyZ, Jul 20, 2016
  3. Windows not booting? "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

So I recently replaced my 500 GB HDD with an Intel Pro 2500 240 GB SSD. This is on an Asus laptop

I cloned the HDD onto the SSD and the SSD booted up onto Windows. I started using it and it was working great but then the whole thing kept crashing after about 5 minutes of using the computer.

I wiped the SSD and reset my HDD(to minimize space consumption) I reckoned the HDD and now the SSD won't boot up it just says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

i changed my BIOS settings to disable secure boot and enable CSM. I made the SSD the first boot priority and it still gives me this message. I am starting to think that the problem is with the Windows I put on my SSD, is there anyone who knows what to do
    here?

ChristianAA, Jul 20, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

I would recheck SSD mounting and connection, no way any OS would detect it (or any other drive) if BIOS doesn't. Unlikely but possible that there's some incompatibility.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  5. ClipEater Win User
    I've already done it (before), that's not he problem. The SSD is, sometimes detected in the BIOS, and sometimes isn't (I'd say it is more often detacted than not), but it has never (after the isntalation of Windows) been sucefully detected by the windows installer.

Thank you for replaying tho, I apreciate it!

ClipEater, Jul 20, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    You could also check in which mode is SATA port, IDE or AHCI. AHCI is preferable for SSDs.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    If your SSD is not detected in the Bios, then it will not be detected in Windows. Try a Different SATA cable, try a different power plug from the PSU, try a different SATA port on the motherboard.

spunk, Jul 20, 2016
  8. ClipEater Win User

Thank you to everyone that replied trying to help me, you are deeply apreciated.

I've found the problem, and it is now fixed, it turns out the SSD came with a factory defect with the controler.

Once again, thank you!

ClipEater, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD Won't boot up, Windows might be corrupted. - Similar Threads - SSD Won't boot

2. Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted: Windows 11 PC crashed recentely and when I rebooted it, I was met with the following message:Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_Tried rebooting again and was met with the same message.Tried troubleshooting through...
  3. Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted: Windows 11 PC crashed recentely and when I rebooted it, I was met with the following message:Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_Tried rebooting again and was met with the same message.Tried troubleshooting through...
  4. SSD corrupted out of nowhere. Data lost. Windows won't boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD corrupted out of nowhere. Data lost. Windows won't boot.: Greetings. I had Windows 11 installed on my laptop and it was all working fine till yesterday. The computer suddenly was very slow since yesterday's boot-up. I couldn't do any of my work. A single click would take half a minute to go through. I thought, "screw it, let's just...
  5. SSD corrupted out of nowhere. Data lost. Windows won't boot.

SSD corrupted out of nowhere. Data lost. Windows won't boot.: Greetings. I had Windows 11 installed on my laptop and it was all working fine till yesterday. The computer suddenly was very slow since yesterday's boot-up. I couldn't do any of my work. A single click would take half a minute to go through. I thought, "screw it, let's just...
  6. DirectX11 might be corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DirectX11 might be corrupted: Last tuesday 15/03 I was running 'PCSX2' on my ProBook 4530s when it froze after I altered the emulation's settings while a game was open pretty dumb I know, I shut it down via power button and upon restart it froze right on <windows 7> startup sound. Starting it now on safe...
  7. DirectX11 might be corrupted

DirectX11 might be corrupted: Last tuesday 15/03 I was running 'PCSX2' on my ProBook 4530s when it froze after I altered the emulation's settings while a game was open pretty dumb I know, I shut it down via power button and upon restart it froze right on <windows 7> startup sound. Starting it now on safe...
  8. Some Windows Update might be corrupted?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some Windows Update might be corrupted?: Hi I had this problem on my lenovo Ideapad PC windows 10 where some of my settings are not working or letting me open. First notice when I can’t hear anything through my headsets and I saw there are no device detected even the built in speaker can’t be detected and I tried...
  9. SSD won't boot into windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD won't boot into windows: I recently bought a new ssd to replace my old hard drive, however, it won't boot. First i tried cloning windows over to the ssd, but then all it did was boot into safe mode and was unable to repair or diagnose anything. So i formated the ssd and tried installing windows from...
  10. Corrupt boot manager on ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Corrupt boot manager on ssd: I couldn't boot into windows and received the message 'boot manager is corrupted' Created a bootable windows 10 thumbdrive and booted from it, clicked on repair and it just stayed at the loading screen. Happened similarly if i tried to install windows 10. I confirmed it...