Windows 10: SSD Won't Install Windows/Won't Initialize

Discus and support SSD Won't Install Windows/Won't Initialize in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently got a new SSD to fix a problem with my old HDD but really the problem was my motherboard. I then ordered a new PC and the computer techs put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 21brad17, Feb 12, 2017.

1. 21brad17 Win User

SSD Won't Install Windows/Won't Initialize

I recently got a new SSD to fix a problem with my old HDD but really the problem was my motherboard. I then ordered a new PC and the computer techs put my 1 month old SSD in the new PC. Yesterday I bought Windows and went to install it via a USB flash drive. On the 2nd step of the installation it was stuck at 0% for 30mins so I cancelled it. I then couldn't see the drive when I went to install Windows again
    SSD Won't Install Windows/Won't Initialize [​IMG]

I connected the SSD to another PC via a USB to SATA connection and I see this when I look at my disks
    . It will not initialize with either option I try.

At one point it entered read only mode and I saw this
    . I managed to change the read only attributes but currently I am seeing the previous picture when I look at my disks.

It appears that it created the partitions when it was installing Windows but that was it. I can see it in Explorer with 0 capacity and 0 space remaining.

Also when I check my drivers i see there is error Code 10. I tried updating the drivers but they say they are already up to date. If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreaciated. There's nothing on the SSD so completely restoring it would be perfect.

Thanks,

Brad

:)

21brad17, Feb 12, 2017

2. Windows 10 Pro Version 1511,10586 won't install

Windows 10 Pro Version 1511,10586 won't install. It downloads, but gets to 25% of install and stops and states it won't install. Gives me a pop up to fix issues. I do and still won't install.

I've cleaned the disk, emptied trash, rebooted. Nada.

System is MSI Board 64 AMD, 500 gig SSD, and 1TB doc drive. Only programs and the operating system run off the SSD.

Bob Callard, Feb 12, 2017
  3. Beehe Win User
    SSD is not initializing

The issue is I have a SSD, it shows up how ever it won't initialize. I have tried the normal initialize and nothing happens or received the "This operation cannot be completed because the disk management is not up to date...". Any ideas?

Beehe, Feb 12, 2017
  4. SSD Won't Install Windows/Won't Initialize

Hi 21brad17

Not sure if you made any progress since original posting.

If you want to reset SSD here are some quick instructions. You might want to reference our Clean install tutorial. Watch BIOS settings. Are you installing as Legacy (MRB) or UEFI (GPT). You mentioned new PC so I assume UEFI boot so SSD should be GPT.

Windows 10 - Clean Install

Boot from your media. On the first screen, with SSD installed in new PC and no other storage connected, press shift+F10 to get a command prompt.

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

I borrowed these commands from another post by NavyLCDR. They should reset your SSD. Notice the convert to GPT command as I assume you are booting UEFI in BIOS.

Caledon Ken, Feb 12, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    After diskpart and before select disk 0 you can run the command "list disk" without quotations. That will tell you if the computer is even recognizing that the SSD is connected in the Windows environment.

NavyLCDR, Feb 12, 2017
  6. 21brad17 Win User
    My new PC does now appear to be recognizing it...

21brad17, Feb 13, 2017
  7. Excellent.

Post back when you're installed.

Caledon Ken, Feb 13, 2017
  8. 21brad17 Win User

I apologize. That was a typo. It does "not" appear to be recognizing it.

21brad17, Feb 13, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What type of interface is it on? Is it SATA or m.2? If it is SATA make sure your BIOS/UEFI setting for SATA is set to AHCI and not RAID.

If it is m.2, there may be additional drivers required. I would recommend converting your Windows 10 installation USB flash drive to boot into Kyhi's recovery tools and see if the SSD shows up then. See my quote in the middle of the OP here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD Won't Install Windows/Won't Initialize - Similar Threads - SSD Won't Install

2. Nee SSD won't instalize.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nee SSD won't instalize.: Hello, I recently bought a sebramt 1tb SSD internal when trying to instalize it, an error message show *the specic driver selected does not exist* this ssd is being detected but when I try to instalize it, it just disappears.I saw in the property menu that *the device is not...
  3. New ssd won't install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New ssd won't install windows: I have a laptop and just got a new ssd and i wanted to install windows on it so its faster so i formated the hdd so the old windows is deleted but when i tried to install windows on ssd it goes into this screen: Recovery The device cannot be accessed 0xc000000e and it also...
  4. Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD won't work.

Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD won't work.: I have a Lenovo ideapad 300 15isk and I damaged my hard drive so replaced it with a 250GB Samsung EVO 850. I downloaded Windows 10 onto a USB which came on the laptop when I bought it. I went into my BIOS at startup and changed the Boot Mode to Legacy Suppprt and the Boot...
  5. Whatsapp won't launch after initial installation and launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whatsapp won't launch after initial installation and launch: I've been using Whatsapp desktop on Windows 10 for a few months now with no problems. Then suddenly the desktop client stopped working - when I attempt to launch nothing happens. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, and Whatsapp always opens the first...
  6. AirPods won't initially connect

AirPods won't initially connect: I just bought a pair of AirPods and have been trying to connect them to my Windows 10 PC. The device shows up when I click "Add a Device," but then says "connecting..." for about a minute before saying "We didn't get any response from the device. Try connecting again." I...
  7. Windows 10 won't install to my SSD's partition.

Windows 10 won't install to my SSD's partition.: Hey all, I'm real inexperienced with tech stuff but I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my PC's new internal drive (using USB installation media) and ran into a snag. I've formatted the drive (a Samsung 860 EVO) for GPT and NTFS, but when I click the primary partition in...
  8. SSD won't boot into windows

SSD won't boot into windows: I recently bought a new ssd to replace my old hard drive, however, it won't boot. First i tried cloning windows over to the ssd, but then all it did was boot into safe mode and was unable to repair or diagnose anything. So i formated the ssd and tried installing windows from...
  9. Windows won't install on SSD?

Windows won't install on SSD?: I've upgraded my computer enough to where a fresh install is needed and now I cannot get my windows to install on my new boot drive which is a 256gb Gigabyte m.2ssd. It was formatted on my old system and I went through the disk manager in the command prompt to get it off of...
  10. The computers initial screen won't show

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The computers initial screen won't show: Usually when you start up your computer, the initial screen with the manufacturers logo and options to enter the bios, etc... But on my computer, that won't show up, and windows just instantly appears without the previous screen. Without it, I can't get into the BIOS or the...