Windows 10: SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC

Discus and support SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have recently had a failure of BIOS and backup BIOS on my Gigabyte GA-H77M D3H rev1.0 motherboard, now I've purchased a 2nd hand Intel (branded), 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by snadge, May 7, 2020.

1. snadge Win User

SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC

I have recently had a failure of BIOS and backup BIOS on my Gigabyte GA-H77M D3H rev1.0 motherboard, now I've purchased a 2nd hand Intel (branded), 7 series board, to replace it, now in anticipation, I thought I would secure erase the SSD now in prep

now first I attached it using a SATA-to-USB3 converter cable into a 4 way powered port and it picked up and can be browsed, but isn't called SAMSUNG SSD - Micron TECH or something...first I installed the latest edition of SM which again picked it up as TECH as the name of the drive but could NOT do anything with it...so I directly plugged it into the laptop and the result was the same...one can access all files but SM can only see this as a "TECH" drive not Samsung 850 and ALL options a greyed out - now when it first happened I used my secure erase disc which I've used before on the same drive and this time it said the drive was "NOT COMPATIBLE"

so just now I installed version 4.5 of SM as I remember having issues with later versions but the result was the same... it could only benchmark and it benchmarked like and SD Card!!

can anyone tell me how to resolve this and check if the drive is broken? I hope not otherwise im gunna have to pull out more money

i got it in 2013 and on last check 0 problems and EXCELLENT health accord to an SSD reporting tool

mind the testing laptop is very poor 2Gb RAM, 2 core Celeron, 2Gb spare room on the built eMMC from 21Gb - nothing but chrome and office 365 installed - im loaning it until i get my PC fixed or replaced...

any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

snadge, May 7, 2020
  2. Dia01 Win User

Securely erasing old SSD - Ubuntu

Very inexperienced with Linux and have been playing around lately with Ubuntu 17.10 successfully recovering data from a bad HDD, quite impressed by it also.

First question is. I have an old OCZ Vertex 3 120GB that has been lying around forever and want to wipe it to factory settings and install Ubuntu on it (so I don't need to run Windows side by side on my current OS drive). I'm assuming the easiest way to do this is to do the following?
    • Boot Ubuntu from USB installer
    • Select 'Try Ubuntu before you install it'
    • Open the Terminal and
    • Use the Command-line to Simple Secure Erase i.e. hdparm --security-erase PASS /dev/sdX
    My second question is, if the above will work do I then need to format the entire SSD in ext4 or does the installer by default format/partition the SSD when 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu' is selected?

SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC 25d1eb9e8b23d55b-jpg.jpg

Dia01, May 7, 2020
  3. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, May 7, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

Samsung Magician Secure Erase

This blog details the meticulous steps, trials & errors, one person took to attempt to securely erase and then verify a secure erasure of various SSD erase operations.
    Ways to Securely Erase a Solid State Drive (SSD) | Ray Woodcock's Latest
    It's quite a read, and really helps to understand what's going on, as well as a bit startling as to some of the results he saw. Some of the comments are also eye-opening.

I also learned that TRIM does not work on a USB-connected SSD.

simrick, May 7, 2020
Thema:

1. SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC - Similar Threads - SSD wont secure

2. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Securely erasing a hard disc: Does Windows 10 have any functionality to securely erase a hard disc? I have a few external hard discs that I'd like to completely clean up before recyling. I've looked online a few times but I have yet to find an answer to this....
  3. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Securely erasing a hard disc: Does Windows 10 have any functionality to securely erase a hard disc? I have a few external hard discs that I'd like to completely clean up before recyling. I've looked online a few times but I have yet to find an answer to this....
  4. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Secure erase + password lock ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secure erase + password lock ssd?: Hi there. I need something that can secure erase my ssd and immediately lock it at the same time so nothing can access it without a password. (I’m dealing with a rootkit virus that spreads itself on every storage device) so i need some kind of tool that can erase it and lock...
  6. How to Secure Erase older Intel SSD for selling on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Secure Erase older Intel SSD for selling on: Hi Guys, I have an older Intel 320 series SSD that I no longer use, so I thought I'd sell it, OK, I know I won't get a lot for it but it will be some money. I tried to Secure Erase it whilst it was in the PC as a Master drive, of course you can't, so I thought I'd 'Google'...
  7. Problem booting USB Secure Erase Samsung

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem booting USB Secure Erase Samsung: This problem has been haunting me for 2 days now. I'm trying to secure erase my SSD to sell it and used Samsung Magician to create a bootable USB to do it. Didn't work. Then I've read that the Secure Erase feature only works with MBR, so I converted my 970 Evo disk from GPT...
  8. USB 3.0 disc drive wont work

USB 3.0 disc drive wont work: I recently purchased a disc drive off of Amazon for my laptop, an Asus ROG Strix. When I plug it in an attempt to open it, nothing. When I go to the USB in settings, nothing. The reviews on Amazon don't help as well as I got a completely different product then the one...
  9. Secure Erase SSD Samsung

Secure Erase SSD Samsung: I have a samsung SSD and a PNY SSD that I installed on my laptop. I get an error and fix complete when I boot up windows 10. I was told I should do a secure erase and reinstall windows 10. I have tired using samsung magician and make bootable USB but nothing happens. My...
  10. Securely wipe/erase SATA SSD hardrives via USB. How? Free app?

Securely wipe/erase SATA SSD hardrives via USB. How? Free app?: I thought Crucial's Storage Executive had the ability to do a PSID Revert , which effectively is a secure erase , not sure if it works with your particular Drive though? try the Crucial Forums , there has been a number of posts there over the last few years on the PSID...