Windows 10: SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information

Discus and support SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So guys, I'm currently facing an issue where 1 of my installed SSDs didn't appear on EFI BOOT Selection, yet IT'S READABLE in BIOS INFORMATION! As for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MonsieugarDaddy, Sep 6, 2021.

1. SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information

So guys, I'm currently facing an issue where 1 of my installed SSDs didn't appear on EFI BOOT Selection, yet IT'S READABLE in BIOS INFORMATION! As for the detailed information, here's the timeline I can trace:1. Bought a new ThinkBook 14s Yoga with 512GB Hynix NVME SSD & Win 10 Pro onboard2. Later, I added my WD 1TB NVME SSD on the 2nd available slot3. At first, both are visible & readable on BIOS SETUP & BOOT MENU without any issues4. I tried to install Windows 10 Pro on my WD SSD, yet NO DRIVES CAN BE FOUND due to Intel's VMD5. I disabled the VMD & turn the AHCI controller ON

:)

MonsieugarDaddy, Sep 6, 2021

2. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

Try setting the BIOS boot mode to "Legacy".

What method did you select to clone the disk?

Could it be that you cloned the damaged system partition onto the SSD?

Does it have an active boot partition?

Frederik Long, Sep 6, 2021
  3. A Monell Win User
    confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Sep 6, 2021
  4. SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information

Windows 10 will only boot if selected from the BIOS boot menu.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• You mean to say, every time you need to make changes to Boot Order in BIOS, to start your computer correctly?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suspect that the problem might be due to outdated BIOS update
    or with Boot Configuration data. Suggest you to check for the latest BIOS update and Chipset drivers for your device hardware on Manufacturer website. If you find a new one, try to update the same to see if it correct
    the issue. If problem still persist, then I suggest to rebuild Boot Configuration Data to see if it makes any difference.

Let us try to repair your computer by creating a Windows 10 Bootable media (I.e. USB or DVD) using
    Media Creation Tool.
    Use your computer or some other connected to Internet for creating a Bootable media (Windows 10 ISO image file). Once you're ready with Bootable Media, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media, and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically
      • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
      • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order,
        Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.
      • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order
        sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
      • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click
      Next
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select
      Advanced Options > Command Prompt
      under Advanced Options.
    • Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press
      ENTER.
      This command will rebuild boot configuration data if in case any issue with Boot files causing this issue.

Once you done with the above steps, see if the problem still persist.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Sep 6, 2021
Thema:

SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information

1. SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information - Similar Threads - SSD won't show

2. Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?: Hello! I'm Mike and I've been working for the past 4 days on attempting to copy my files to my newly installed M.2 Solid state drive, and then setting that drive as the boot drive to enhance the performance of my Dell Alienware 17 r4 laptop. I've done an array of things,...
  3. Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?: Hello! I'm Mike and I've been working for the past 4 days on attempting to copy my files to my newly installed M.2 Solid state drive, and then setting that drive as the boot drive to enhance the performance of my Dell Alienware 17 r4 laptop. I've done an array of things,...
  4. Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios: I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My...
  6. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios: I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My...
  7. SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu: Hello everyone, my laptop came with windows installed in HDD. I decided to buy SSD and install Windows in it. With the help of USB boot device, I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows on SSD, but forgot to format the reserved partition of HDD. Now SSD doesn't show up...
  8. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS: I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I...
  9. Win10_Pro_15031 won't boot with "UEFI" selected in Asus Bios

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10_Pro_15031 won't boot with "UEFI" selected in Asus Bios: I have a home built desktop with an Asus Maximus V Gene mob with a Intel 3570k CPU running UEFI on Win 10 Pro 15031 preview. All updates have been applied and I have the latest BIOS from Asus. I have 3 SSD's, each with a separate OS: (1) Win 7 HP 64 bit (2) Win 10 Pro...
  10. SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.: My wife purchased a Dell 8700 XPS with i7 4790 processor,16GB ram. and Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB and a 2 terabyte hard drive. She also purchased a Kingston HyperX 120 GB SSD. I used a popular software to migrated Windows 8.1 Home to the SSD from the HDD. This seemed to work...