Windows 10: SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

Discus and support SSD writing and defrag/trim issue in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Recently about 2 weeks ago I bought a 256 GB SSD and did a clean install on it. Is 327 GB of writes is normal? Does the auto optimization... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/farxhan, Sep 9, 2020.

1. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

SSD writing and defrag/trim issue Z2eswE6lhOdxYg0ybRQAG5oj7aQAdmdDxGWLoKkFzKo.jpg

Recently about 2 weeks ago I bought a 256 GB SSD and did a clean install on it. Is 327 GB of writes is normal? Does the auto optimization play the role here? I read somewhere that Windows actually "trims" not defrags the SSD. One weird thing is the program doesn't "remember" the last time I defrag and/or trim my drives. Right now I turn off that auto optimization. For additional information, I'm running Windows 2004 and only install few programs (Ms. Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, and AutoCAD with some UWP apps)

https://preview.redd.it/vs6bhnzd93m...bp&s=2f75ed8bc8f8ddde50f4dd660c71e134701ff243

submitted by /u/farxhan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/farxhan, Sep 9, 2020

2. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, Sep 9, 2020
  3. RDrewD2 Win User
    Defragment & SSD

No, it is not necessary to ever defragment your new SSD. Doing so would only add many needless read/write cycles to the drive that would reduce it's lifespan.
    TRIM (oversimplified), cuts down on the work required for the drive to write to
    previously-written-to sections by clearing out any old data beforehand.
    By doing this, the drive can start writing the new data immediately without having to pause and erase that section first, and keeps the SSD from having to maintain or re-write any useless junk data.
    Generally speaking, TRIM helps your new SSD to start writing faster and do less work while being more efficient.

RDrewD2, Sep 9, 2020
  4. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it

I have been using my 850 evo SSD as system drive for 3 years and I have always left Windows to optimize the drives. It's recognized as an SSD and everythin worked fine. Until recently, I noticed the drive's activity light is on when idle. Then I open up
    task manager and the default defrag app and wait. And it turns out Windows is indeed defragging my SSD as its current status shows "2% consolidated" instead of "X% trimmed" (and trimming usually takes only a few seconds). The SSD is nearly 100% active as well.
    I disabled optimization for my SSDs and leave it on for HDDs only for now. Why did Windows all of a sudden decide to defrag my SSD? Again, the SSD is not being recognized as HDD and Windows used to trim the SSD noramlly. Is there a way to fix it? Windows version
    is 1903. Thanks.

Desmonds99, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

1. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue - Similar Threads - SSD writing defrag

2. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?OS WINDOWS 11...
  3. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?...
  4. W10 Trimming/defragging at the same time with only 1 SSD?Bug?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 Trimming/defragging at the same time with only 1 SSD?Bug?: [ATTACH] 1 2 3 Noticed my pc "optimized my pc" but is this supposed to be normal?Are you supposed to get both confirmations when I only have 1 main SSD? submitted by /u/wiseude [link] [comments]...
  5. SSD defrag issue?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD defrag issue?: I'm using Auslogic Disk Defrag 9 I have an M2 SSD and have set 'Use only SSD defragmentation' and 'Use the TRIM feature' The analysis shows the drive as 17% defragmented but when I run the optimisation it finishes OK but the still shows 17% defragmented Am I missing...
  6. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch: OS: Windows 10 v2004 According to this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk, Microsoft has screwed up the defrag function in the latest update. What I found on my 4 Windows 10 PCs (all updated to Ver 2004) is that PCs with a combination of SSDs and...
  7. Win10 2004,SSD Defrag issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 2004,SSD Defrag issue: Hi I need a bit of help here. I saw this video on Youtube and I found he was talking about the latest version of Windows 10, 2004 which has the problem of defragmentation which as according to him is dangerous and might shorten the life of SSD drives installed. I also have...
  8. WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it: I have been using my 850 evo SSD as system drive for 3 years and I have always left Windows to optimize the drives. It's recognized as an SSD and everythin worked fine. Until recently, I noticed the drive's activity light is on when idle. Then I open up task manager and the...
  9. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  10. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...