Windows 10: SSD

Discus and support SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; do I have to format a new ssd to install or copy old drive onto it.?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rkfjr, Dec 29, 2018.

1. rkfjr Win User

SSD

do I have to format a new ssd to install or copy old drive onto it.?

:)

rkfjr, Dec 29, 2018
  2. Kursah Win User

SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile SSD :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Dec 29, 2018
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Dec 29, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

SSD

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

SSD

1. SSD - Similar Threads - SSD

2. Is 4GB of RAM and an SSD enough to be able to play League of Legends and have chrome open?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is 4GB of RAM and an SSD enough to be able to play League of Legends and have chrome open?: I'm looking to buy a laptop and, within my price range, I found one that has an I3-8250U with 4GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, however, I'm unsure if it could run the aforementioned programs properly. Besides that, I intend to use it for school work. submitted by /u/Manyzard...
  3. External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows.

External SSD randomly disconnects with out warning. Not due to a loose port but Windows.: I have a SABERENT external NVME enclosure holding a Evo 970. After a while it will just disconnect. When I click on the hidden icons thing it will appear for a second then disappear and give a windows malfunction error. I have tested it on another Windows computer and a Mac...
  4. Bitlocker Is locking my main hard drive and deleting applications after ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Is locking my main hard drive and deleting applications after ssd upgrade: Hey all, I was hoping to see if anyone would be able to help me with my current predicament. Recently I cloned over my Windows 10 OS and files from my smaller 256gb ssd boot drive to a much larger 500gb ssd. I store all of my main applications on my hard disk drive 1tb....
  5. Windows 10 still defrags ssd's instead of optimizing!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 still defrags ssd's instead of optimizing!: When I run automatic maintenance from the security & maintenance screen windows 10 defragments my samsung 960 pro M.2 c: drive instead of optimizing it. I thought windows 10 was smart enough to not defragment ssd's under any circumstance? If I have the optimize drives window...
  6. freezing for second after change my ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    freezing for second after change my ssd: hello after i change my ssd to new one xpg sx6000 pro 512 gig some times my laptop freezing for a second and then everything runs good what am i should do that responding and never appear these that say not responding. my laptop model is asus pro n580vd cpu corei7...
  7. Problems installing windows on new ssd

Problems installing windows on new ssd: I wiped my old hard drive, but left windows on it just in case, and I tried installing windows 10 on the ssd from a usb stick. I get to the install page, where I put in my preferred language and I choose my ssd as the destination. But after it's done installing, it says it...
  8. Windows 10 freezes with new SSD. Help/Advice?

Windows 10 freezes with new SSD. Help/Advice?: submitted by /u/DevdattNair7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvgbln/windows_10_freezes_with_new_ssd_helpadvice/
  9. Windows 10 Clean Install - "Could not reinitialize the deployment engine". SSD failure?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Clean Install - "Could not reinitialize the deployment engine". SSD failure?: Hello all, for the past couple of days I have been trying to revive my dead PC that I bought pre-built about a year ago and am by no means an expert so I am trying to learn all this as I go along. -PC Specs- OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core...
  10. Windows 10 has taken up too much space on my SSD.

Windows 10 has taken up too much space on my SSD.: I have a laptop which broke down. Whenever I tried to switch it on, it showed an error 'insert boot media'. So yesterday, I used the Microsoft Creation tool to load a boot of Windows 10 onto a USB. I plugged this into the broken laptop and managed to install a fresh copy of...