Windows 10: SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break

Discus and support SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I've had this issue for over a year now and have tried asking other places with no luck. The issue is my Windows will randomly get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tristan USA, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break

Hello everyone,

I've had this issue for over a year now and have tried asking other places with no luck. The issue is my Windows will randomly get stuck on starting the SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" service. I noticed this because on random cold starts my PC would sometimes not be able to open chrome (it would show as running in the background in task manager), and if I ended the Chrome tasks I'd be able to open it once. Then I noticed downloads didn't work. If I try to download something from Chrome or other programs it would say it was downloading but it wouldn't actually be. It would just get stuck.

This same behavior also happens in Steam, which is based on Chrome I believe so that makes sense. It will hide in the background forcing you do end it's processes if you want to open it. What led me to draw the conclusion it was from this service is that I noticed these things occurred only when this service got stuck on "Starting". As well as one of the services that depend on it is related to displaying the Windows store app, and that shows as me having no connection when I try to open it. (See attachments)

This happens to me randomly, maybe 1 out of every 5 startups. It can also happen on restarts. I've tried just about every combination of options service properties has to offer for it and all related services to no avail. The only way I'm able to fix it is to restart my pc until it starts correctly. I'm not even able to force task kill it to restart it, I get the PID and force kill it, but it instantly returns to the broken "starting" state and changes its PID! Repeated attempts with the different PIDs yield the same result.

My PC is broken in this state now and I will keep it like this for troubleshooting purposes.

Please someone here hopefully can help me and end my windows woes. *Sad

TLDR; SSDPSRV stuck on starting- programs act like I have no connection and break until restart.

:)

Tristan USA, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Yu Huang Win User

SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Yu Huang Win User
    SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Dec 7, 2018
  4. SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break

updates messed up my network discovery and now my other network computers and hp printer not discovered

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you and We apologies for delay in responding.

This issue might occur due to incorrect settings. I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

Step 1: Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
    • For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices”
    Step 2: Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl
    • Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.
    • In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.
    • Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.
    Step 3: Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc
    • Base Filtering Engine(BFE)
    • Computer Browser(Browser)
    • DHCP Client(DHCP)
    • DNS Client(DNSCache)
    • Network Connection (NetMan)
    • Network Location Awareness(NLASvc)
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)(RPCSS)
    • Server(LANManServer)
    • SSDP Discovery (SSDPSrv)
    • TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LMHosts)
    • Workstation(LANManWorkstation)

Step 4: I would suggest you to run Home Group troubleshooter and see if that helps.
    • Click Start and type troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run HomeGroup troubleshooter.
    Let us know the update after you try the above steps.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break

1. SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break - Similar Threads - SSDPSRV SSDP Discovery

2. App Stuck at "Starting Download"

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    App Stuck at "Starting Download": After attempting to "Get" an app from the Microsoft Store, it has been stuck at "Starting Download" for several days. I am not sure where to go to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-stuck-at-starting-download/17a14ea3-5198-4faf-8187-64728bd59b1c
  3. App Stuck at "Starting Download"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App Stuck at "Starting Download": After attempting to "Get" an app from the Microsoft Store, it has been stuck at "Starting Download" for several days. I am not sure where to go to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-stuck-at-starting-download/17a14ea3-5198-4faf-8187-64728bd59b1c
  4. App Stuck at "Starting Download"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!

in Windows 10 Support
    Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!: Hello, I happened to have discovered from the last few months that there's some mysteriously unknown task schedule that happens to trigger Background Intelligent Transfer Service as well as SSDP Discovery to run in the background either at system start up or a few hours...
  6. App stuck on 'Starting Download'

App stuck on 'Starting Download': Hello! For the past few days I have attempted to download an app for my schoolwork. However, as I have stated in the title, it doesn't seem to pass 'starting download.' There is no error message whatsoever. I have tried everything recommended to me to my best ability. I have...
  7. SSDP messages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSDP messages: Windows 10 is sending multicast ssdp packets, on what purpose they are used and how to stop them? I have ssdp and upnp services disabled. From wireshark. ST: urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1\r\n USER-AGENT: Microsoft Edge/85.0.564.70 Windows\r\n [Full request URI:...
  8. SSDP discovery could not start

SSDP discovery could not start: When I try to start the SSDP discovery, shows Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start. What shoud I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssdp-discovery-could-not-start/e260d140-9318-4a54-a959-5fe97f7a834d
  9. Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service: Hello Everyone, Windows 10 1909 is stopping the SSDP Discovery service at random intervals, even if the service startup type is set to Automatic. This effectively makes my PC invisible to other PCs on the network. The only way I've found around this problem is 1. Access...
  10. HP Smart App download stuck on 'Starting Download'

HP Smart App download stuck on 'Starting Download': I am trying to download the HP Smart app from the windows store, however it doesn't get past 'Starting Download' when installing. I tried a few random apps on the store and they all downloaded fine so I don't know why it is just HP Smart which fails to download. I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssdp service stuck starting

2. ssdpsrv inbound