Windows 10: SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows

Discus and support SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dear Community, Today I'm testing a ThinkPad X240 with a dual mSATA to SATA enclosure. Lots of fun. Not unexpected but Windows 10 is of the opinion... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Naxs_EU, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Naxs_EU Win User

SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows

Dear Community,

Today I'm testing a ThinkPad X240 with a dual mSATA to SATA enclosure. Lots of fun.

Not unexpected but Windows 10 is of the opinion that my two mSata SSD's are, in reality, hard disks. They are not. We talked about it, it did not help.

I tried the following:

Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "H/W RAID0" -MediaType SSD

This works, until I reboot. After this command, PowerShell reports 'SSD' as media-type instead of 'Unspecified'.

The 'Optimizes Drives' window, however, still reports a hard disk.

Is there anyway to permanently make Windows believe I do have an SSD in my ThinkPad?

Thank you!

:)

Naxs_EU, Jan 8, 2019
  2. robbyc Win User

RAID 0 SSD Windows 10 Disk Read Error

I bought two new SSDs to be used in a RAID 0 configuration with a Dell 9020 under Windows 10.

Before the drives I arrived I configured two old HDDs in RAID 0 and installed Windows 10 as a clean install. This worked perfectly.

Once the new SSDs arrived I configured these in RAID 0 and started a clean install. Windows correctly identified the disk with the correct capacity and the install completed without issue.

When the computer restarts I got a "A disk read error occurred" error.

If I boot from the installation media to a command prompt I can see that the Windows files have been correctly installed to the C drive of the RAID 0 array.

I try fixing the MBR but this does not solve the issue.

I also tried loading the RAID drive during Windows install but this made no difference, and if it was the driver causing the issue it would not have worked with my old HDDs.

If I open diskpart I see that the drive is not marked as boot, which it is when I check these details on the old HDDs in RAID0.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

robbyc, Jan 8, 2019
  3. M Gowen Win User
    Hard Drives (in Raid 0) showing as SSD in Optimize Drives, so can't defrag

I have a single SSD, boot with Windows / Programs etc, and two 1Tb Hard Drives in Raid 0 (with good backup schedule!) containing data. The SSD is visible as an SSD in the "Optimize Drives" dialog, but the Raid Array (divided into two partitions) are showing
    as two SSD drives. Hence, the optimize option to Analyse for defrag is greyed out.

All drivers are up to date. Upgraded to the latest Win8.1 Intel RST driver, but this didn't help.

Any help on changing their status would be gratefully received.

M Gowen, Jan 8, 2019
  4. SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows

Windows 10 Raid 0

Before my Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Installation, I went into my Motherboard's BIOS and set my two 2TB hard drives in Raid 0 formation. After my Windows 10 Installation, "this computer" sees my "C" drive as only 2TB. Windows 10 should recognize my Raid 0 "C"
    drive capacity as 4TB. Why is windows 10 listing my "C" drive as 2TB? Windows 10 should have spanned the Installation across my two hard drives in RAID 0 formation. Did Windows 10 install only onto one hard drive? How can I correct this Windows Installation
    to span across my two Seagate SSHD hard drives in RAID 0 formation?

Dune 10191, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows

1. SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows - Similar Threads - SSDs RAID marked

2. Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks: I am considering RAID 0 for the system disks of my next desktop build. The raid would be setup in BIOS. Does anyone knows if this is going to work with windows 11?...
  3. Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks: I am considering RAID 0 for the system disks of my next desktop build. The raid would be setup in BIOS. Does anyone knows if this is going to work with windows 11?...
  4. Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?: We got a new workstation shipped with a pair of 960Gb industrial calss SSDs for the Windows Pro partition.However, because of immediate shipment requirement, the supplier installed SSDs of different brands:Samsung PM883Micron 5300Different controllers, different NAND-memory,...
  5. Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?: We got a new workstation shipped with a pair of 960Gb industrial calss SSDs for the Windows Pro partition.However, because of immediate shipment requirement, the supplier installed SSDs of different brands:Samsung PM883Micron 5300Different controllers, different NAND-memory,...
  6. Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 stopped recognizing my secondary raid 0 hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 stopped recognizing my secondary raid 0 hard drives: I have 2 x Intel 2tb NVME drives set up in RAID 0 that have been working find for about 6 months. There is about 3.5 tb of data on these drives. Windows 10 File Explorer stopped seeing this drive D: this week. Device manager sees the drives, but I am unable to access the...
  8. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  9. M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?

M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?: ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 mobo Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVME PCIe SSDs M.2 drives in M.2 slots 1 and 3 on mobo Can a RAID 0 array be created with the 2 drives? Is it advisable to do so? (I have learned over the years that not everything that CAN be done...
  10. Raid 0 ssd drive

Raid 0 ssd drive: HI all Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures. I know that raid 0 ssd does not support trim on my p58 atx motherboard so if I delete a file I should be able to recover it? I deleted a...