Windows 10: SSD's use more battery power than HDD?

Discus and support SSD's use more battery power than HDD? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Tom's Hardware article: The SSD Power Consumption Hoax What got me considering this was actually not about runtime duration performance, but battery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cytherian, Aug 23, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

SSD's use more battery power than HDD?

Tom's Hardware article: The SSD Power Consumption Hoax

What got me considering this was actually not about runtime duration performance, but battery drain during cold shutdown..

One HP notebook I have (Envy M6) is getting a bit old and I was noticing that when completely shut down, it would lose about 50% power in about 10 days. I recently upgraded the HDD to an SSD (Samsung Evo 850). And now? I have the laptop shut down completely for 5 days and when I go to start it up, it's dead as a door nail. I don't know if this is coincident with some kind of battery erosion, but it seems very odd. Unfortunately it's not easy to swap for testing, because it doesn't have a separate door for the storage device -- have to take off the entire bottom.

Has anyone else here been noticing some battery duration issues after switching to an SSD?

:)

cytherian, Aug 23, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 23, 2018
  3. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Aug 23, 2018
  4. SSD's use more battery power than HDD?

Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

SSD's use more battery power than HDD?

1. SSD's use more battery power than HDD? - Similar Threads - SSD's more battery

2. SSD used space is more than i really use

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD used space is more than i really use: i got a new SSD which is 931 GB size and iam only have 1 game on it which is 47 GB but when i open my SSD properties its used space is 63 GBany help would be appriciated...
  3. SSD used space is more than i really use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD used space is more than i really use: i got a new SSD which is 931 GB size and iam only have 1 game on it which is 47 GB but when i open my SSD properties its used space is 63 GBany help would be appriciated...
  4. SSD used space is more than i really use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using SSD or HDD

Using SSD or HDD: I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro installed. It came with a 512 Gb SSD and 1 Tb HDD. It automatically has been storing all of my data on the SSD. I am not a game player and have only one game downloaded. My data totals only 24 Gb's so far and adding more...
  6. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  7. Battery not charging more than 60%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery not charging more than 60%: Battery is not charging more than 60%. It's a brand new ASUS Rog. I already tried. 1. Rebooting 2. Factory reset 3. Reinstalling drivers It's a new laptop. So I don't think any issue with battery or charger. Something to do with windows settings....
  8. Battery cannot charge more than 74%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery cannot charge more than 74%: Good day team. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 Model. I just updated it from version 1903 to version 1909 yesterday. Before this update, it charges to 100% i.e both the internal battery and the external battery. After the update yesterday, it can no longer charge up to...
  9. Laptop battery not charging more than 60%

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop battery not charging more than 60%: Laptop Asus X507 UA; all updates to OS are allowed automatically. I rightly or wrongly opted for 'best battery life' in the battery settings. It charges battery to 60%. There are a lot of power cuts where I live and I cannot work for longer period as I have to conserve...
  10. Using SSD and HDD

Using SSD and HDD: I have a hard drive and an SSD. I want to use the SSD for booding and the hard drive for storing everything else except a few apps (ex. chrome and frequently used ones). I am new to windows. How do I do this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what uses more power ssd or hdd

2. do hdd take more battery than ssd

3. does ssd or hdd use more battery

4. which uses more power hdd or ssd