Windows 10: Ssd's

Discus and support Ssd's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI all just to ask yall what do yall think is the best ssd just a good solided one. It dont have to be the fasted just a good long lasting one .Its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ocir, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ocir Win User

Ssd's

HI all just to ask yall what do yall think is the best ssd just a good solided one.
    It dont have to be the fasted just a good long lasting one .Its for the os only

:)

2. SSD

Thank you very much for the interest shown to my query.

"If you have a partition(s) dedicated to large media and/or archive files, max out the cluster size when formatting (use command-line Format, not the GUI based one) and, if the files aren't difficult to restore in case of
    an error, use FAT32 for lowest overhead. While you're messing about with that, you might as well try to figure out how to line up your clusters with the physical sectors of the SSD's."

• For my files, I have a dedicated 2TB WD hard disk. Almost half of it is used up in discreetly named folders.
    • These files and system are regularly backed up every month using Macrium Reflect or Acronis True image.
    • Please let me know how to format using command prompt ? [(use command-line Format, not the GUI based one)]
    • Does Fat 32 format have any advantage over NTFS ?
    • Please also clarify "while you are mess..............SSD's"
    with best regards

Dr. K. A. Rasheed

Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., Feb 22, 2018
  3. 'RickT Win User
    SSD

Hi again doc,

You seem to be a bit of an enthusiast, enjoying efficient performance for its own sake. I am too, so I threw a couple of my own tips into the ring. Pretty basic.

- For things like commercial CD tracks burned to disk (quite legal here if you own the CD), easily replaceable generic reference material, etc. I'd suggest FAT32 over NTFS because of the lower operational overhead. If it's important and/or unique data then
    you'll find that NTFS is the better choice. There are many articles comparing the file systems on the Web.

- For data that consists pretty much entirely of huge files, a large sector size is more efficient (regardless of file system).

- SSD's at the hardware level have huge physical sectors, so lining up the beginning of partitions and files with these boundaries will mean less wasted seeks and writes. I'm still working on that, myself.

- I recently read in these forums where the option for the larger sector sizes have been deprecated from the GUI Format command. I imagine that's to keep people from applying 256k sectors to an OS partition and then blaming Microsoft for how bloated their
    installation is. Format2

Got any of your own tips to share ?

'RickT, Feb 22, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Ssd's

Check out Les Tokar's excellent website TheSSDReview.com. You'll find reviews and ratings for most every SSD known to man available there. What kind of SSD are you looking for? SATA, mSATA, m.2 or NVMe? That will make a big difference as to what gets recommended.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 22, 2018
  5. ocir Win User
    Just a sata i have a intel 520 ssd for the c drive os now but she is getting old. I just want to clone to a new drive
    i also have 2 samsung evo's and 2 wd,blacks for every thing else

6. EdTittel Win User
    I'm a big fan of (and used to write for) Tom's Hardware. Here's their latest take on this stuff: Best SATA SSDs (for 2018). They still like the Samsung 850 EVOs, FWIW (and so do I).
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 23, 2018
  7. ocir Win User
    you like it better thin the 860 evo

8. AddRAM Win User
  9. Word Man Win User
    I've been very happy with Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB SATA III) over last 2.5 years. Not sure of difference moving to 860.

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Ssd's

1. Ssd's - Similar Threads - Ssd's

2. Windows 11 clean install on brand new SSD. Error message saying 'The PC can't run Windows 11'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install on brand new SSD. Error message saying 'The PC can't run Windows 11': Hi all,I bought a brand new Windows 11 home Pro USB to install on a brand new SSD. However, it say 'The PC can't run Windows 11' after keying in the product key.I have flashed my MB with the latest Bios, enabled TPM, enable secure boot..... However, when I enabled secure...
  3. Windows 11 clean install on brand new SSD. Error message saying 'The PC can't run Windows 11'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install on brand new SSD. Error message saying 'The PC can't run Windows 11': Hi all,I bought a brand new Windows 11 home Pro USB to install on a brand new SSD. However, it say 'The PC can't run Windows 11' after keying in the product key.I have flashed my MB with the latest Bios, enabled TPM, enable secure boot..... However, when I enabled secure...
  4. Why is my 2tb SSD formatted to only 500gb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my 2tb SSD formatted to only 500gb?: So, I bought a new computer IBUYPOWER RBY slhbg227 about half a year ago and I just realized that even though it says I have a capacity of 1.9tb in the task manager, it also says that only 466gb of it is formatted??? When I go into files it also says I only have 466gb of...
  5. Why is my 2tb SSD formatted to only 500gb?

Why is my 2tb SSD formatted to only 500gb?: So, I bought a new computer IBUYPOWER RBY slhbg227 about half a year ago and I just realized that even though it says I have a capacity of 1.9tb in the task manager, it also says that only 466gb of it is formatted??? When I go into files it also says I only have 466gb of...
  6. Windows not letting me partition my SSD past 2GB.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not letting me partition my SSD past 2GB.: Hi so I am trying to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu on my 256GB SSD. I have 120GB free and I am trying to partition 40GB of it to install Ubuntu 24.04. I have read other forum posts about this and it said to Optimise the SSD. I have tried this and it hasn't worked. I am willing...
  7. Windows not letting me partition my SSD past 2GB.

Windows not letting me partition my SSD past 2GB.: Hi so I am trying to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu on my 256GB SSD. I have 120GB free and I am trying to partition 40GB of it to install Ubuntu 24.04. I have read other forum posts about this and it said to Optimise the SSD. I have tried this and it hasn't worked. I am willing...
  8. A Windows 10 Pro OS license how can be used as a VM installation from external ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Windows 10 Pro OS license how can be used as a VM installation from external ssd: Hello,I have A Windows 10 Pro OS license OEM key, how can be used as a VM installation in VMware Workstation Pro 17.x, or VirtualBox 7.x…?In other words if the VM is being used in a host PC Windows 10 Pro, from an external SSD drive, can used or transferred to a secondary...
  9. A Windows 10 Pro OS license how can be used as a VM installation from external ssd

A Windows 10 Pro OS license how can be used as a VM installation from external ssd: Hello,I have A Windows 10 Pro OS license OEM key, how can be used as a VM installation in VMware Workstation Pro 17.x, or VirtualBox 7.x…?In other words if the VM is being used in a host PC Windows 10 Pro, from an external SSD drive, can used or transferred to a secondary...
  10. A Windows 10 Pro OS license how can be used as a VM installation from external ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade