Windows 10: SSL certificate locations when using an Xampp localhost setup

Discus and support SSL certificate locations when using an Xampp localhost setup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Background: Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, OS build 18363.1082 with a Wordpress website (copied from a running on-line site) running on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by fordtman, Sep 15, 2020.

1. fordtman Win User

SSL certificate locations when using an Xampp localhost setup

Background: Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, OS build 18363.1082 with a Wordpress website (copied from a running on-line site) running on an Xampp/Apache localhost environment.

I am trying to implement a secure localhost environment (because I copy my secure online website to my localhost environment) and it works fine in non-secure mode (HTTP://) but does not work in secure mode (HTTPS://). I get the deadly "your connection isn't private" message using HTTPS:// on Edge. To get rid of this message I have created a self signed Certificate Authority and added it to the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store in Windows. I also created a Private Key (localhost.Key) and issued a new local certificate (localhost.crt) using the Root SSL certificate I created but I am not sure where localhost.key and localhost.crt go in the localhost configuration. Do I add them to httpd-ssl.conf, openssl.cnf or somewhere else? This part of the process does not appear to be covered on the internet sites I have looked at, and there was a lot of them. Actually I am also at a bit of a miss as to how SSL works in a local host development environment and how it ties into a locally installed Wordpress website (with SSL plugin installed).

Any help in finishing off this project would be appreciated.

:)

fordtman, Sep 15, 2020
  2. jFax Win User

XAMPP on Windows 10

You can change the port of apache:

• Go to C:\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.
    • Find by combination Ctrl+F line #Listen 12.34.56.78:80 and change the 80 to any you like for example 81
    • The same with Listen 80 change to 81
    • The same with ServerName localhost:80 change to 81.
    • Go to C:\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts and change 80 to 81
    NameVirtualHost *:80 here

VirtualHost *:80 and here (two times)

• Restart apache
    To enter your web page type:
    http://localhost:81/index.html

3. franz777 Win User
    Localhost not working after solving start problems on apache Xampp

Recently I encountered problems on Xampp 3.2.4 where my Apache shutdown unexpectedly. So I did change the configurations of port and ssl on configuration settings. So it is now working. When I tried to login on my localhost I change the localhost address with the new port from 80 to 8080. Ex. localhost:8080/Wp-admin but can't login. I encountered an error saying "HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found". I hope somebody can help me with this so I can get back on track with my project.

In solving problems on my apache, I did follow this link: . Yes it is working but unfortunately, I can't login with my localhost since I change the port.

Appreciate your help. Thanks

franz777, Sep 15, 2020
  4. SSL certificate locations when using an Xampp localhost setup

ssl certificates

Hi Richard,

This error message SSL certificates could have happened due to several reasons like browser security certificates or outdated browser. We would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• Have you tried deleting and clear the cache?
    • What browser are you using?
    • Have you tried using another browser?
    • Have you tried contacting your software developer?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Anthony Gal, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

SSL certificate locations when using an Xampp localhost setup

1. SSL certificate locations when using an Xampp localhost setup - Similar Threads - SSL certificate locations

2. Corrupted SSL Certificates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted SSL Certificates: I moved my Windows 10 Boot M.2 SSD Drive from my laptop to a mini PC. All went well with new drivers and all except the SSL Certificates seems to be messed up. I get hundreds of Event ID 15300 and 15301 warnings every time I boot up. All Google searches say to ignore those ID...
  3. Corrupted SSL Certificates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted SSL Certificates: I moved my Windows 10 Boot M.2 SSD Drive from my laptop to a mini PC. All went well with new drivers and all except the SSL Certificates seems to be messed up. I get hundreds of Event ID 15300 and 15301 warnings every time I boot up. All Google searches say to ignore those ID...
  4. Corrupted SSL Certificates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSL Certificate Signed Using Weak Hashing Algorithm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSL Certificate Signed Using Weak Hashing Algorithm: Tenable Scan provides the below report but i dont see any certificate with MD2, MD4, MD5, or SHA1. Could you please advise the fix for this case?An SSL certificate in the certificate chain has been signed using a weak hash algorithm.The remote service uses an SSL certificate...
  6. SSL Certificate Signed Using Weak Hashing Algorithm

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSL Certificate Signed Using Weak Hashing Algorithm: Tenable Scan provides the below report but i dont see any certificate with MD2, MD4, MD5, or SHA1. Could you please advise the fix for this case?An SSL certificate in the certificate chain has been signed using a weak hash algorithm.The remote service uses an SSL certificate...
  7. SSL Certificate Signed Using Weak Hashing Algorithm

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Renew SSL certificates on Win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renew SSL certificates on Win10?: Hay, every now and then I get the hint while surfing that the https certificate is invalid. I have also checked and found that certain certificates have expired. How can I have them renewed? Have read where since Win10 2004 something has changed. Auf Win10 SSL-...
  9. Localhost not working after solving start problems on apache Xampp

Localhost not working after solving start problems on apache Xampp: Recently I encountered problems on Xampp 3.2.4 where my Apache shutdown unexpectedly. So I did change the configurations of port and ssl on configuration settings. So it is now working. When I tried to login on my localhost I change the localhost address with the new port...
  10. Application using expired SSL Certificate on my computer...

Application using expired SSL Certificate on my computer...: Well - it has come to this. I throw myself at the mercy of the smarter masses. Here is the situation in as best I can describe it. Understanding that I do not know how certificates work and I am not a OS Guru - just a plain user who is now stuck like deer in headlights....