Windows 10: Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front

Discus and support Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there, I have an issue where, randomly & periodically, new windows and existing windows refuse to come to the front when created / selected.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Andy Nick, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Andy Nick Win User

Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front

Hi there,

I have an issue where, randomly & periodically, new windows and existing windows refuse to come to the front when created / selected.

This means I have to minimize other windows to access content stuck below them. Sometimes it's a file explorer or application, but it even extends to windows alerts.

I've had this problem for over a year, but finally got a fresh new machine at work.

After installing my usual workflow software onto it, (Evernote, StrokeIt, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker), the same problem began. I assume the problem is caused by 3rd party software, so now I'm looking at a full Windows reinstall. I've uninstalled the 3 programs listed above (most likely culprits), but am unable to do a full Windows wipe right now.

My question is whether or not there's a solution for this problem. I've seen other forum posts that suggest making changes to your registry, but that hasn't worked for me.

Someone, PLEASE help me solve this problem. It's incredibly frustrating and I have yet to get any helpful feedback.

Andy

:)

Andy Nick, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Andy Nick Win User

Window Stack Order

Hi Jeraldine,

I haven't heard back from you in 10 days, I suppose that's because you don't have any new information for me.

* UPDATE *

I went ahead and did a FULL REINSTALL of Windows 10 this morning. I formatted the drive and used the original "Operating System DVD Windows 10 Pro".

I started this process at 9am, and at 2:30 the Stack Order problem returned.

Jeraldine, I have now exhausted your suggestions.

Please advise my next step ASAP.

Andy Nick, Feb 8, 2019
  3. Andy Nick Win User
    Window Stack Order

Quick Update:

I have not had time to create a new user profile on my Windows 10 machine.

I have, however, been dealing with the Stack Order bug as if it's business as usual. I'm actually getting used to it - I just do one thing at a time and minimize any window I'm not using. It's like training yourself not to multi-task.

However, when I sense a window of opportunity, I'll try building a new profile. If that doesn't work, per your suggestion Jeraldine, I may try reinstalling windows.

Andy Nick, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front

Window Stack Order

Hi,

Please try the workarounds suggested by HVAS2016 and Gramma Mh on the thread below and check if it helps:

Windows 10 will not stack or show side by side.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you send a feedback using the Feedback Hub so that this will be addressed in future updates:

1. At the Search box, type Feedback Hub.

2. From the search results, tap the Feedback Hub app.

3. Sign in with your Microsoft account to use the app.

Rolando Vil, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front

1. Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front - Similar Threads - Stack Order front

2. skype comes front of the screen by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    skype comes front of the screen by itself: I have skype minimized, I am using like ms edge so the skype open automatically like come front by itself, i have no idea what makes it do so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype-comes-front-of-the-screen-by-itself/b7c53032-3aa9-4d2e-89ef-eb0c8d7efa33
  3. skype comes front of the screen by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    skype comes front of the screen by itself: I have skype minimized, I am using like ms edge so the skype open automatically like come front by itself, i have no idea what makes it do so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype-comes-front-of-the-screen-by-itself/b7c53032-3aa9-4d2e-89ef-eb0c8d7efa33
  4. Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop

Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop: Hello,I just setup a new laptop and Phone Link is not behaving like it did on my old laptop. Previously, when I received an Android cellphone messages notification in Windows in the lower-right corner where notifications show up, I would click on the messages notification and...
  5. Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop: Hello,I just setup a new laptop and Phone Link is not behaving like it did on my old laptop. Previously, when I received an Android cellphone messages notification in Windows in the lower-right corner where notifications show up, I would click on the messages notification and...
  6. Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it: Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it. Before I would click on a website or open a document and it would open in front. Is that a setting I can change?...
  7. Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it

Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it: Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it. Before I would click on a website or open a document and it would open in front. Is that a setting I can change?...
  8. Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. In order to make a window come to the front I have to minimize everything else and hit...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In order to make a window come to the front I have to minimize everything else and hit...: This started happening after last week's update. Of course the first thing I did was check to be sure Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control -> Panel\DesktopForegroundLockTimeout was still set to 0 and it was. What other things could be causing this and how do I resolve them?...
  10. Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front: Hello all, I just upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and so far (for the most part) it's working great! The only issue I have is that some windows won't focus and stay on top when I alt-tab to it or click it, like it did in all other versions of Windows. For example: I...