Windows 10: Standard user can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission

Discus and support Standard user can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hi, Win10 Pro computer join to AzureAD and in windows there is one local admin user and one standard user. user login as standard user but can install... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by RockyMondal, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Standard user can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission

Hi,

Win10 Pro computer join to AzureAD and in windows there is one local admin user and one standard user. user login as standard user but can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission. When we run setup file to install application its asking for admin credential but if we install app from Microsoft store its installed and no asking for admin credential.

Could you please explain why this happen and how to restrict to install apps from Microsoft store for standard user.

Thanks,

Rocky

:)

RockyMondal, Aug 7, 2020

2. Why do apps from the Microsoft store not require admin permission to install?

I noticed today when installing an app from the Microsoft store on my computer running Windows 10 that the app did not need administrator permission to install.

Normally when installing apps/programs from downloaded executables or installers the UAC window pops up to request my admin password before it is allowed to proceed. Even program updates often involve the UAC pop-up. I prefer things this way since my computer is occasionally used by people who I trust enough to use it, but not enough to install things or change important settings.

This question covers how to prevent users from installing apps from the store, but that's not what I'm wondering.

What is different about installing an app from the Microsoft store versus other methods that allows the app to install without admin permission? Is it that the installation process is different for those apps, or does the Store itself has special permissions?

BarbalatsDilemma, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Ramhound Win User
    Why do apps from the Microsoft store not require admin permission to install?

The group policy that defines this behavior only applies to legacy desktop applications.

This is only true if the process requires permissions the user does not already have. Even installing legacy desktop applications can be granted to a user within the User usergroup.

Universal Windows Programs (UWP) are sandboxed. The permission to install and remove these programs are handled by a different group policy.

The ability to launch Windows Store, install/remove UWP already installed on the system, is indeed its own permission seperate from your ability to install a legacy desktop WIN32 application.

Ramhound, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Standard user can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission

microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Standard user can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission

1. Standard user can install apps from microsoft store without admin permission - Similar Threads - Standard user install

2. Stuck without Admin Permission to install Microsoft 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck without Admin Permission to install Microsoft 365: I need some help. I think I might have mess up with some settings and now I cannot install Microsoft 365. How can I be able to fix this?PC is two weeks old, and I also do notice that there is a second user profile....
  3. Stuck without Admin Permission to install Microsoft 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck without Admin Permission to install Microsoft 365: I need some help. I think I might have mess up with some settings and now I cannot install Microsoft 365. How can I be able to fix this?PC is two weeks old, and I also do notice that there is a second user profile....
  4. Microsoft store installing game without permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store installing game without permission: So i recently tried to install Halo from Microsoft store.But then i changed my mind and cancelled the installation.But it just doesn't seem to stop.no matter ehat i do,it still shows up.it is not downloading...it's just there and hogging my local disk c space...i have tried...
  5. Microsoft store installing game without permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store installing game without permission: So i recently tried to install Halo from Microsoft store.But then i changed my mind and cancelled the installation.But it just doesn't seem to stop.no matter ehat i do,it still shows up.it is not downloading...it's just there and hogging my local disk c space...i have tried...
  6. Microsoft store installing game without permission

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  7. Microsoft store installing apps without my permission

Microsoft store installing apps without my permission: Good day,Microsoft store installing apps without my permission even when Update apps automatically is tuned off. It just downloaded "Photos Media Engine Add-on" of 93MB and I have limited internet data!Any advice to stop this from happening?Fran...
  8. Admin User duplicating files from Standard User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin User duplicating files from Standard User: Hi all, I recently logged in into the Admin User on my PC and while cleaning some stuff up I noticed that C:\Users\admin\Documents had certain folders corresponding to my Standard User account. I checked these folders inside and they have the same files! For example, the...
  9. Installing apps without microsoft store

Installing apps without microsoft store: Hello, My company just recently purchased some tablets for our staff and we have some software that we need to install without using the Microsoft store. Can someone give me steps on to how to successfully add this. The software that we are trying to install is Virtru in...
  10. How to prevent standard users from installing apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to prevent standard users from installing apps: H guys, Currently i have a laptop with 1 admin and 1 standard user account. I want to prevent standard users account from installing any programs and also prevent them from messing around with the settings like changing the wallpaper or themes or any other settings. my...