Windows 10: Standby memory and gaming dilemma

Discus and support Standby memory and gaming dilemma in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After experiencing frequent crashing with The Sims 2, I applied the standby memory fix, setting the Task Scheduler to clear standby memory every 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MickandLee, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Standby memory and gaming dilemma

After experiencing frequent crashing with The Sims 2, I applied the standby memory fix, setting the Task Scheduler to clear standby memory every 5 minutes. It solved my crashing, but it seems to come with the price of making the general Windows system hang and lag constantly (good example GIF here). So, while I'm not tech savvy by any stretch, I'm guessing things like folder icons and such are stored as standby memory (which now keeps getting wiped)? The strange thing is I can't find anyone else experiencing this, either through googling or asking fellow players.

Aside from having to disable/enable the task manually as needed, is there anything else I could do instead? Why does this not seem to be an issue for anyone else?

:)

MickandLee, Oct 25, 2018
  2. guigow Win User

[Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level

The situation is:

Why do i want 2gb of Standby memory when the game is paging file because it's lacking of free memory and not using that 'useless' resource?? I didn't pay for a 8gb to see windows locking 2gb for no reason.

There's a in-game graph monitor that shows that when there's no free memory the game runs badly. But when there's free memory (stolen from the useless standby) the game runs smoothly.. With no stuttering (no graph variations)

I'm using a standby cleaner already and the result is brilliant for gaming. I just need a better MODE of cleaning. To clean the standby only when needed (no free memory) and not every 5 minutes (most of the time won't be needed every 5 minutes maybe 10). But if i close the game it will keep cleaning every 5 minutes.

Thousands of Battlefield 1 players with very expensive computers were having problems with stuttering.. Doesn't matter if it was 16gb or a 8gb PC. The ram management on newer versions of windows 10 is badly planned.

On previous versions of windows 10 there were no issue like that. Microsoft failed badly.. It's a clear example of bad ram management..

It happens with tons of games not only BF1.

guigow, Oct 25, 2018
  3. LMiller7 Win User
    [Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level

Why do you think it necessary to free standby memory?
    The normal state for available memory is on the standby list, not free. Windows was designed to function optimally with zero free memory. I have often seen this with no issues of any kind. The ideal would be zero free memory at all times but we are not there yet.

I have tried a number of these memory cleaners (just for experimental purposes) and have been thoroughly unimpressed.

LMiller7, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Faith Win User

Standby memory and gaming dilemma

SuperFetch & Standby Memory Not Working Properly?

Updated Febraury 2018:

Just a small update on this. It is a Windows bug. I called Microsoft and got hold to a higher tier engineer working for tech support and he told me it's indeed an issue with how the os retrieves data on certain hardware configurations from standby memory. At least they acknowledge it, but he couldn't say anything about a fix or how long I need to wait for a new update... He only mentioned that I can use the feedback app and give sys info. Yup... I need to wait until April - May then for a new feature update in hopes that it resolves itself. If it doesn't then I need to live with turning off SuperFetch and clear my standby memory once in a while, or revert my os.

So there's a task called Superfetch in Windows that's supposedly should improve performance because it preloads applications in RAM. I read an article that games installed on a PC with 4GB or less memory may suffer from this due to its excessive load in/out behavior. My issue seems to stem from this service causing stuttering and overall bad performance in games, however I have 16GB of RAM... I can confirm this by either disabling the service or emptying my standby memory to free using empty standby list command. It looks like the task of fetching data from standby memory is more demanding than it should be for some reason. This can take a while depending on the game and how much free RAM I have, but usually the performance is good until Windows starts this bull.

I found the culprit in Windows 10, or more specifically the Creators Update - as Windows 7 and regular 10 didn't show the same symptom, even with SuperFetch running. I tried to reinstall the OS, do a complete rundown of clean drivers etc and the issue was still there. So, is this service broken in the Creators Update or what? I don't get it. Oh, and I have also tried diferent memory sticks, aswell as both dual and quad channels. More RAM will only postpone the issue.

Faith, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Standby memory and gaming dilemma

1. Standby memory and gaming dilemma - Similar Threads - Standby memory gaming

2. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  3. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  4. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. High Standby Memory usage

High Standby Memory usage: Standby memory cache is something that Windows is has from a lot of time, and actually increase performance a lot and is a good thing, but what is not a good thing is that on my 4 GB RAM, it dumps a lot if cache in memory. In resource monitor and in task manager, I see that...
  6. Filling Memory Standby list causes stuttering in games.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Filling Memory Standby list causes stuttering in games.: Filling Memory Standby list causes stuttering in games. Over time, games begin to stutter. ISLC utility helps. Judging by the comments in internet, Intel systems and AMD systems are also subject to this problem. This problem has been dragging on for several years. Does...
  7. Releasing Standby memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Releasing Standby memory: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop. I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say, they are total pigs. And it appears they've gotten WORSE in the current version. When the Adobe products are up and running,...
  8. Memory Standby High

Memory Standby High: For some reason, my standby memory is really high, and when I empty it using RamMap it comes back like a 100 megabytes a second. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-standby-high/3a6a7a74-f99f-435d-a9da-59d139caf7ff
  9. standby memory not releasing

standby memory not releasing: Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standby-memory-not-releasing/e5341242-acc1-4a88-927d-bf7842fd3a54
  10. Public Library Gaming Dilemma

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Public Library Gaming Dilemma: I am head of IT at a public library that runs about 30 computers. We recently installed Fortnite by popular request so the teens in our new Gaming Space could play. The only issue we are having is our public computers are set to not have administrator privileges. So, many...