Windows 10: Start a fresh backup in Windows 10 using file history: impossible?

Discus and support Start a fresh backup in Windows 10 using file history: impossible? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I spent many hours trying to do something very simple. 1. Take off my old file history USB drive and retire it. 2. Connect a new, larger USB drive. 3.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mbk88888, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Mbk88888 Win User

Start a fresh backup in Windows 10 using file history: impossible?

I spent many hours trying to do something very simple. 1. Take off my old file history USB drive and retire it. 2. Connect a new, larger USB drive. 3. Back up everything anew on the new USB drive.

Step 3. fails. The drive just won't start a backup. After fiddling for while, it would eventually do a backup but only 1/4 of the data got covered. Any time I disconnect the drive and choose a different one in an attempt to reset the process, it would also reset my choice of folders to be backed up to some motley crue collection of folders that were not my choices. It won't save my new choices for folders to be backed up.

From digging around the internet is appears that file history is somehow unusable to do proper backups. It seems as if file history just can't be convinced to back up everything because deep down in the belly of the operating system, it has determined that most of my files have been backed up on my old drive already and have not changed since, therefore it doesn't back them up.

Obviously I want the NEW drive to have all the information FRESH and in a single place, in case the OLD backup drive fails, which it nearly did (I revived it but I don't trust it now, hence the new backup drive).

Is there a workaround to reset file history to zero as if my data had never been backed up, or do I have to buy some expensive 3rd party solution.

Thank you.

It is amazing btw that backups seem to have been easier in the 1980s than they are now. Every year there is a new development that makes safe and seamless backups impossible. On year they destroy backup completely because OneDrive. Next year they recreate it as file history but it doesn't work the same way. Then Onedrive suddenly becomes barely optional, after having been near mandatory just a year earlier. Year later, whoops, no more fresh backups and of course, no more system images either, unless you revive Win7 backups which had just been destroyed couple years earlier. What an unholy mess, as usual from MS of course but hey, we're stuck with the industry standard, seemingly forever... unhappy customer for about 30 years now, no escape from moloch. /rant over

:)

Mbk88888, Oct 27, 2018

2. File History

If that does not help, clear older versions of files under File History and start a fresh backup. Follow the steps:

Zackary Vanosdol, Oct 27, 2018
  3. MesaMark Win User
    File History Backup starts but doesn't do anything

My File History completed a backup to my external HD once before, but now it won't. I formatted the ext HD and set it to Autoplay settings for Backup File History. I can open File History, I can click on "Back up now", it says my files are backing up and
    30 seconds later it stops and says your files are not backed up. Re-tried it several times with the same result. I deleted the File History folder so as to start fresh, but no luck with that change either. Suggestions, please and thanks.

MesaMark, Oct 27, 2018
  4. Ian_B_761 Win User

File History and Fresh Start

Hi,

I am looking at using the fresh start feature in windows 10 and would like to know if backing up my personal files using the File History is enough?

Thanks for the help!

Ian_B_761, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Start a fresh backup in Windows 10 using file history: impossible? - Similar Threads - Start fresh backup

2. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  3. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: For the first time in a long time, I cannot backup my files. I have Windows 10. I am using Backup using File History. In the Overview, it states 0 bytes on my external hard drive even though this is not true. Total space is 1.81 TB. I have tried "stop using the drive" and...
  4. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  5. backup File History not starts automatically

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup File History not starts automatically: Hi I created a backup using Files History in W10 1903. The problem is that it never starts automatically. I recreated few times from scratch and set it to Daily, every 12 hours... It works fine manually, when press the button Backup Now. The backup is configured to copy...
  6. Windows backup using File History

Windows backup using File History: The backup function does not appear to be working as it should. As can be seen in the screen shot, the last backup was on May 8th and today is May 19th. The utility is set to backup daily and keep files for one month. Question: Why is it not backing up daily? [ATTACH] I...
  7. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  8. Windows 10 backup using File History

Windows 10 backup using File History: I'm trying to set up Windows 10 bckup using File History. It won't let me add folders under C:/users/public for the backup. Any idea why/ how to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-using-file-history/8564780f-eded-40b6-b0d8-029789033448
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Backup using File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup using File History: Does File History (Libraries) Backups utilize the time schedule I created for Automatic Backups? 62035