Windows 10: Start a program from USB

Discus and support Start a program from USB in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to start automatically a program o script when i plug-in an USB even if the user is not logged (ctrl+alt+canc screen). Autorun doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by epulone, Nov 30, 2017.

1. epulone Win User

Start a program from USB

I would like to start automatically a program o script when i plug-in an USB even if the user is not logged (ctrl+alt+canc screen).

Autorun doesn't work.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

:)

epulone, Nov 30, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Nov 30, 2017
  3. cant instal a program from a usb pen

hi there,

I am trying to install Adobe light room from a usb drive but my laptop does not let me (windows 10), it says that this installation package could not be open and to verify if its a valid windows installer package, the odd thing is that I can run it normally
    on my other pc also on windows 10, any one could help please

thank you

PedroMCPereira, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Start a program from USB

You can create a task "at startup" or even better with"on an event".
    You just have to figure out, which event it is related to. Like this:
    windows - Starting scheduled task by detecting connection of USB device - Super User

For the reference, this is for logged users: AutoRunnerX/U - USB Autorun for Portable Apps

TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

it can be done via so called "Portable apps" - however these could be considered a security risk and some businesses won't allow people to connect external USB devices unless encryption is enabled.

The main advantage is that no registry settings are done or "C" drive not written to.-- most corporate computers also are in Lockdown so users can't install their own programs and often the "C" drive is locked against write as well..

There are a few portable apps out there so Google a bit more for what you want to see if someone has already created one you want.

Here's a place to start with --- note ensure you aren't using pirated software or breaking EULA by using these.

PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable, and cloud drives

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start a program from USB

1. Start a program from USB - Similar Threads - Start program USB

2. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  3. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  4. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Delay on starting programs from tiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delay on starting programs from tiles: Steam and Origin are big offenders here, but they're not alone. I click to launch, the start menu stays open and nothing happens. After about a ten second delay, the start menu closes and the program launches. It happens with numerous custom tiles I've created, including...
  6. uploading programs from usb port

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uploading programs from usb port: I need to upload a software program onto my laptop using a usb port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uploading-programs-from-usb-port/b6f38aa6-871e-43f5-8d47-97e417a48cf1
  7. Program missing from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program missing from Start Menu: I'm running windows 10, build 1607 (work machine, *I* can't update it) A while back, I was trying to create a shortcut to Outlook and accidentally MOVED the shortcut out of the start menu folder. (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) I've re-added it, but it...
  8. Some programs not loading from Start screen

Some programs not loading from Start screen: About half of my tiles on the Start screen are not functioning. If I find the *.exe they will load from that file. I have tried a Restore but it would not complete even in Safe Mode. I have run a fix on the Power Shell and reinstalled Metro/Modern apps. The screen shot shows...
  9. Start a program from a batch file

Start a program from a batch file: I'm trying to create a batch file that should - call another batch file - start a program and then wait for the program to close - call another batch file My goal with this is to work around an issue in Windows 10 where the screensaver won't work when I have my game...
  10. Start a program from a batch file

Start a program from a batch file: 4 Apps of mine run a batch file that -tries- to call/start and EXE program. These Batch files need to work with OS XP thru Win 10. Win 10 has a pop-up window asking user if its okay to run/execute my EXE. No other Win version does this and thus I suspect a timing problem....