Windows 10: Start and type feature not working with latest update

Discus and support Start and type feature not working with latest update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am running windows 10 x64 pro. There were recent updates that were installed. I am not stuck with an irritating problem. I am used to, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dinger, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Dinger Win User

Start and type feature not working with latest update

Hi,

I am running windows 10 x64 pro. There were recent updates that were installed. I am not stuck with an irritating problem. I am used to, and like, the feature where I can push the start key and then type what I wanted to run. For example I could push start and type chr and then chrome would be selected in a list and I could push enter and chrome would load. Since the update if I push start and type nothing happens. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

System:
    Windows 10 as above
    Gigabyte gaming 5
    intel i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz
    16gb DDR3 RAM at 1600Mhz
    2 x Geforce 980 in SLI

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Dinger, Jan 13, 2017

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Jan 13, 2017
  3. PatSeguin Win User
    Enabling "hey cortana" makes text search stop working

I've clean installed the Fall Creators Update 4 times in the past 2 days. I've been having all kinds of issues like typing in the cortana box not working, typing with start menu open to find apps not working, start menu not opening at all, and notification
    center not opening.

I came home from work yesterday and turned off "Enable "hey cortana"" and everything works normally now.

Is there some bug in this feature in the latest WIndows update?

When I have it enabled, my voice only sporadically works and then it just recognizes my voice but doesn't actually do any search.

PatSeguin, Jan 13, 2017
  4. Start and type feature not working with latest update

By any chance did you disable Cortana in any way? I ask because when I do what you said above the "Cortana" search box opens.

Create restore point, better safe than sorry.

Please also try the "Search and Index" troubleshooting tool. Start Control Panel, type troubleshooting in search bar. As your search may not be working switch out of Category view, select icons. Click on trouble shooting. When window opens, upper left, click view all. Find Search and Indexing, click, window opens, click on Advance, run as administrator, click next. I found if it finds problem it can't fix, at least in Updates, I run again.

Caledon Ken, Jan 13, 2017
  5. Dinger Win User
    Dear Caledon Ken,

Thanks for your help.

I am based in South Africa, and Cortana isn't enabled here. I definately don't have a cortana service in my list of services accessed from control panel --> administrative tools.

I have tried restarting the search service, ensuring that it is on automatic start.

I have run the troubleshooter in admin and normal mode and it did not find anything.

I have also done sfc and dism image repair, both of which reported no error.

The only other suggestion that I have seen is going to the indexing service and telling it to rebuild the index, which seems like it's going to be quite time consuming. I will start this now

I would appreciate any further help.

Thanks,

Dinger, Jan 15, 2017
  6. Dinger Win User
    There was a problem with the windows search service, which I have fixed by changing the launch and status in services.msc

Dinger, Jan 15, 2017
  7. Are you now able to start typing once you click start?

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start and type feature not working with latest update

1. Start and type feature not working with latest update - Similar Threads - Start type feature

2. Latest feature update is broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest feature update is broken: Somehow the update gives a MAJOR slowdown on older computers. It brings the GPU up to 100% usage, and the same applies to SSD usage. For some reason I've found the problem on my GF's computer that has Razer Game Service that made the computer spike up in usage. Turns out the...
  3. Latest Feature Updates not available

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Latest Feature Updates not available: My small Lenovo Thinkpad X230 laptop appears to be stuck on W 10 version 1909. I keep getting the message that the May 2020 feature update (2004) is on it's way but it never arrives. Is this because my machine lacks some component which is necessary for this update? I'm not...
  4. Latest Feature Updates not available

Latest Feature Updates not available: My small Lenovo Thinkpad X230 laptop appears to be stuck on W 10 version 1909. I keep getting the message that the May 2020 feature update (2004) is on it's way but it never arrives. Is this because my machine lacks some component which is necessary for this update? I'm not...
  5. Updated to the feature update but it doesn't have the latest features

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updated to the feature update but it doesn't have the latest features: So I've updated my laptop to the latest version and was exited to see the new/better start menu but here's the twist, it looks exactly the same as before, no, I'm not tripping, I'm 100% sure. The ugly square around every icons is still there. And I tried to test if it has...
  6. Photos App Not Working After Latest Features update

Photos App Not Working After Latest Features update: The title says it all. I installed the latest feature update yesterday morning. Now, when I double click on a JPG image, I get a white screen and no image. I also tried to open the image by right clicking it and selecting "Edit with Photos." Again, the image doesn't open. Is...
  7. Latest Feature update

Latest Feature update: I have noticed for a while that the latest feature update has been available to be to download. I do not want to be too quick off the mark in case there are bugs in it. Is it possible that it will download at some point without my intervention?...
  8. Latest feature update

Latest feature update: Are others having problems getting homepage and other sites to open? At times my PC just freezes. I have uninstalled the new Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8, version 1903 and reinstalled it. I'm still having the same problems. Does anyone have a fix?...
  9. the latest feature update 1809

the latest feature update 1809: Hi , I've been wanting to update my Windows 10 to the latest version 1809 and when this update was completed 100 downloads https://a.top4top.net/p_1135qrkc81.png He told me to do a restart for the device, and when the machine restarted I opened the update program again and...
  10. Windows latest feature update.

Windows latest feature update.: So I recently switched over to Widows 10 from 8.1 and now it's updating. Every other updates were installed but the feature update isn't downloading and it's stuck at 0 %. Please help a brother out....