Windows 10: Start button and other icons in task bar will not open

Discus and support Start button and other icons in task bar will not open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded Windows 10 several hours ago. Nothing in the lower task bar will open. When I left click on the start button, nothing happen. When I right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by feber16, Aug 9, 2015.

1. feber16 Win User

Start button and other icons in task bar will not open

I downloaded Windows 10 several hours ago. Nothing in the lower task bar will open. When I left click on the start button, nothing happen. When I right click, I get a menu but nothing will open. When I click in the "Search" area, no cursor appears. I don't know how to get to my pictures or documents.

Why is my start button (or anything else in lower task bar) not working?

Also - I use Avast security protection. Since I downloaded Windows 10, my firewall is turned off with Avast. I clicked a button to turn it on, but I am not being allowed to do so. Do I need to change something in the Windows 10 settings. First I need to learn how to pull up the settings since the start button is not working.

Thanks.

:)

feber16, Aug 9, 2015

2. Windows 10: Task Bar/ Start Menu and other Icons not working

Hi Haroon,

Thank you for posting your response.

Glad to know that the information was helpful to you. We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Windows 10: Task Bar/ Start Menu and other Icons not working

I bought my new laptop. It had windows 8 and it worked fine.

I updated to windows 10 earlier today but It seems like I cant open the start menu. Left click works but not the right.

Same thing with icons like Wireless networks, Date and time, Notifications, search etc.

I looked around but nothing helped. So whats the solution or IS THERE A SOLUTION?

HaroonAhmad169, Aug 9, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Make sure that Avast! is updated to its latest version.

And have tried restarting. That may fix a weird problem like this. After restarting, if the buttons are fixed, make sure that Windows is up-to-date by checking for updates in Windows Update!

If don't feel like restarting the computer, restarting Windows Explorer may help. (these instructions are for 8, but ignore that) Restart the Windows Explorer Process in Windows 8

Thema:

1. Start button and other icons in task bar will not open - Similar Threads - Start button icons

2. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  3. Task Bar & Start Button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  4. Task Bar & Start Button

Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  5. Start button and task bar buttons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and task bar buttons have disappeared: Yesterday my Dell laptop locked up. It has blue screened about once a day since doing an update in Windows insider win 11. Assuming it was about to do the same, I held the power button to power off the machine as no bsod had appeared after a couple of minutes.The machine...
  6. Start button and task bar buttons have disappeared

Start button and task bar buttons have disappeared: Yesterday my Dell laptop locked up. It has blue screened about once a day since doing an update in Windows insider win 11. Assuming it was about to do the same, I held the power button to power off the machine as no bsod had appeared after a couple of minutes.The machine...
  7. START button on the task bar is not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    START button on the task bar is not working.: This happened this evening. No updates were running in background. I was surfing internet on Microsoft Edge and then suddenly found that Windows START button was not responding. All other buttons of the taskbar are responding as it is. I did a restart but that didn't help...
  8. Task Bar & Start Button Probs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Bar & Start Button Probs: I can no longer see my log in page and am having a black screen to log in. When my screen desktop comes up, the search bar doesn't work and neither does the start button. I am using surface pro & windows 10 but I cannot find any windows files. Can anyone help in plain...
  9. start button and task bar icons are missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    start button and task bar icons are missing: My task bar is missing its icons including the start/windows button. The windows key does not work either. I tried the sfc/scannow and was told there were some corrupt files and it told me to open the cbs file log which I did but I do not know what to do with it. Do i find...
  10. Start button + task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button + task bar not working: Hi, Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning tools. After that the start button and task bar became unresponsive. I tried to google the issue and found out a sort of a...