Windows 10: Start button and other icons in task bar will not open

Discus and support Start button and other icons in task bar will not open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded Windows 10 several hours ago. Nothing in the lower task bar will open. When I left click on the start button, nothing happen. When I right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by feber16, Aug 9, 2015.

1. feber16 Win User

Start button and other icons in task bar will not open

I downloaded Windows 10 several hours ago. Nothing in the lower task bar will open. When I left click on the start button, nothing happen. When I right click, I get a menu but nothing will open. When I click in the "Search" area, no cursor appears. I don't know how to get to my pictures or documents.

Why is my start button (or anything else in lower task bar) not working?

Also - I use Avast security protection. Since I downloaded Windows 10, my firewall is turned off with Avast. I clicked a button to turn it on, but I am not being allowed to do so. Do I need to change something in the Windows 10 settings. First I need to learn how to pull up the settings since the start button is not working.

Thanks.

:)

feber16, Aug 9, 2015

2. Windows 10: Task Bar/ Start Menu and other Icons not working

Hi Haroon,

Thank you for posting your response.

Glad to know that the information was helpful to you. We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Windows 10: Task Bar/ Start Menu and other Icons not working

I bought my new laptop. It had windows 8 and it worked fine.

I updated to windows 10 earlier today but It seems like I cant open the start menu. Left click works but not the right.

Same thing with icons like Wireless networks, Date and time, Notifications, search etc.

I looked around but nothing helped. So whats the solution or IS THERE A SOLUTION?

HaroonAhmad169, Aug 9, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Make sure that Avast! is updated to its latest version.

And have tried restarting. That may fix a weird problem like this. After restarting, if the buttons are fixed, make sure that Windows is up-to-date by checking for updates in Windows Update!

If don't feel like restarting the computer, restarting Windows Explorer may help. (these instructions are for 8, but ignore that) Restart the Windows Explorer Process in Windows 8

Thema:

1. Start button and other icons in task bar will not open - Similar Threads - Start button icons

2. task bar icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    task bar icons: The battery indicator (icon) of my task bar disappears time to time.The solutions that are provided by Micro Soft at the first stage do not work. Please help me to overcome this problem....
  3. Task bar Icons

Task bar Icons: Why do icons in my task bar show at several different levels at bottom of screen? They all used to be in one line. How do I realign them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-icons/7eba5fc4-cb50-4913-8a7c-0894a9ae651b
  4. My Start button and Task Bar do not respond

My Start button and Task Bar do not respond: Any suggestions /obviously cannot add question mark https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-start-button-and-task-bar-do-not-respond/cf5e8380-c786-49ff-8b05-9caeeed98bfa
  5. Task Bar icons

Task Bar icons: Hi there. Can someone please tell me how to change back my taskbar icons to those little squares. Because now every time I open an icon, it is like this rectangle in my task bar. And for those who do not understand what I am talking about, it is those icons at the bottom of...
  6. Windows 10 Start Button and Task Bar Issues

Windows 10 Start Button and Task Bar Issues: On my NEW Lenovo desktop, the Windows 10 start button and task bar stopped functioning. This seemed to happen after the PC suddenly launched into what seemed to be an "automatic update," that I did not initiate! Now I'm wondering if this, itself, was a bug??? I have tried...
  7. start button not working ..blank task bar

start button not working ..blank task bar: Hello after the latest update what is going on now my laptop is not working properly after your update WHERE is the update to fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working-blank-task-bar/a34f96c0-a4f5-455d-92ae-eb27def2faab
  8. Start menu button and task bar not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu button and task bar not working: Start menu won't function and all pinned apps have disappeared from task bar. On my task manager it shows 99 Windows processes operating but no IE or Windows icon on task manager. I was shopping on Amazon after an update yesterday when I believe I encountered malware. Help...
  9. Start button and task bar can not left click to open items

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button and task bar can not left click to open items: Hi Have a weird issue I have experienced in the past. First this was all working fine earlier no issues then all of a sudden I tried to open my weather channel app which I had been pulling up fine all day just stopped where it would open and then close immediately. I...
  10. Start button + task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button + task bar not working: Hi, Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning tools. After that the start button and task bar became unresponsive. I tried to google the issue and found out a sort of a...