Windows 10: start button and task bar icons are missing

Discus and support start button and task bar icons are missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My task bar is missing its icons including the start/windows button. The windows key does not work either. I tried the sfc/scannow and was told there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by colorfulcolorado, Mar 26, 2020.

1. start button and task bar icons are missing

My task bar is missing its icons including the start/windows button. The windows key does not work either. I tried the sfc/scannow and was told there were some corrupt files and it told me to open the cbs file log which I did but I do not know what to do with it. Do i find the corrupt files among this file? Also my minimized windows are down in the left hand corner on the screen above the task bar that is only a color strip without the icons. Sorry I am not sure of the specific terms. Also, I tried to open powershell through the start new task and it would try to open and disapppear.

:)

colorfulcolorado, Mar 26, 2020

2. No Icons visible in task bar, Win 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with icons in the Task bar after November update, do let us know the following:

• Is this issue confined only with icons in the Task bar?
    • What happens when you try to click on those icons?
    • What exactly do you mean by: "they are there but not visible"?

Method 1: If you are referring to showing up of different icons in Task in System tray, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key from the Keyboard, type
      Turn system icons On or Off
      and select it.
    • Try to turn on the icons that are visible.

Method 2:

Step 1: If not, I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode and check if the icons are visible to access.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: This issue might have occurred due to corrupted or missing system files after the update. I suggest you to place the computer in normal mode and try to perform SFC scan.

Steps: Place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter
    • In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Perform SFC scan, System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue with required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    battery icon on task bar

Hi Pete,

Windows 10 has a feature to personalize your task bar icons. To retrieve the missing battery icon on your taskbar, kindly follow the steps below:

• Right click on the taskbar and select Settings.
    • Under Notification Area, click Turn system icons on or off.
    • Look for Power and toggle Power to On. Your battery icon should appear in the system tray again.

Let us know if this worked.

Xylee Del, Mar 26, 2020
  4. start button and task bar icons are missing

Missing: task bar icons, search bar, etc

My wife was having some trouble this morning opening attachments, restarted her machine, but all icons on task bar are now missing, and she started randomly hitting buttons. The task bar is there: start button, task view, ^ to see missing icons, etc.

If I right click on search from the start button nothing happens.

If I ask for settings, that window comes up with only the "gear" in the middle. Nothing happens when I click left click the gear or "settings" at the top. If right click 'restore" is grayed out.

System restore has only one choice dated 4 days ago, so I doubt I need to restore to prior to that.

Control panel > programs > unist... shows office 365. Internet explorer is nowhere to be found. Same with Word, Excel, etc.

Please help

NickTessChamp, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

start button and task bar icons are missing

1. start button and task bar icons are missing - Similar Threads - start button task

2. Task Bar & Start Button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  3. Task Bar & Start Button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  4. missing language icon task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    missing language icon task bar: Hi, when i apply this tips of Mr. John DeV to reste language issus: " Press Start then search PowershellRight Click then Run as administratorPaste the command below then hit Enter:$UserLanguage = New-WinUserLanguageList en-USAfter that, Paste the command below then hit...
  5. START button on the task bar is not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    START button on the task bar is not working.: This happened this evening. No updates were running in background. I was surfing internet on Microsoft Edge and then suddenly found that Windows START button was not responding. All other buttons of the taskbar are responding as it is. I did a restart but that didn't help...
  6. Task Bar & Start Button Probs

Task Bar & Start Button Probs: I can no longer see my log in page and am having a black screen to log in. When my screen desktop comes up, the search bar doesn't work and neither does the start button. I am using surface pro & windows 10 but I cannot find any windows files. Can anyone help in plain...
  7. Task bar missing Home Icon

Task bar missing Home Icon: Home icon on task bar since installing October 2018 feature update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-missing-home-icon/3266fd72-cc51-421e-89c7-78cfc84c4408
  8. missing icons on task bar

missing icons on task bar: Hello. I have tried to fix this on my own but every solution i find online and on YouTube did nothing to fix my issue. My Microsoft icons for edge, store, and mail are all just black spots. The buttons are still there because if I click there the program opens. any help...
  9. Start button + task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button + task bar not working: Hi, Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning tools. After that the start button and task bar became unresponsive. I tried to google the issue and found out a sort of a...
  10. Start button and other icons in task bar will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button and other icons in task bar will not open: I downloaded Windows 10 several hours ago. Nothing in the lower task bar will open. When I left click on the start button, nothing happen. When I right click, I get a menu but nothing will open. When I click in the "Search" area, no cursor appears. I don't know how to get to...