Windows 10: Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working

Discus and support Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working in Cortana to solve the problem; For a few days, I have been unable to use the start button, Cortana, and search bar. Also, windows applications like groove music, photos, videos,... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by SaniaJoddar, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working

For a few days, I have been unable to use the start button, Cortana, and search bar. Also, windows applications like groove music, photos, videos, etc, are not working. I tried different tricks but none of them seem to work. I tried SFC scan, dism, and some more things from other answers and youtube videos. There's a message coming for the windows applications saying, 'file system error -2144927439.' I recently had my PC reset and I reinstalled Windows 10, my PC was actually windows 7. I need to use my PC for classes. Please Help.

:)

SaniaJoddar, Nov 24, 2020

2. Cortana Search Bar Not Working

Hi Kayla,

Software conflicts is one of the possible reasons why Cortana search bar is not working. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this

article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and give us an update with the result.

Marilou Ser, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Start button and search bar not working

Problem that start button and search do not work has NOT been resolved. I have tried the steps suggested in previous answers but this has not worked. Altogether very frustrating and a big turn off to my opinion of Windows 10. HELP!

Original Title: MikeKetley

MichaelKetley, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working

Please i need help my start button and the search bar is not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to find the best possible resolution to your problem.

Method 1:

Start button not working

This issue can be fixed by Windows Updates.Please refer to the suggestions by Sharath Srinivasa replied on January 23, 2015 in the link given below.

Start menu doesn’t appear

Method 2:

For search bar not working.

This could be due to some issues with the “Windows Search” service on the computer and due to which Windows is not able to start this service. Let me know, which troubleshooter you ran to find the root cause of the issue. Is it the “Search and Indexing”
    Troubleshooter? If yes, did you try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps?

If you haven’t tried the “Search and Indexing” Troubleshooter, then I would suggest you to try that first and let’s know the details. You may also try its suggestions and check the status.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 8.1 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Windows Search and Indexing settings. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Search and Indexing”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If that doesn’t help, then check the status of the “Windows Search” service from the Service Console. Please follow these steps:

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard to open the “Run” command box.
    • Type “Services.msc” in the “Run” command box and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Services” window, search for the Windows Search service, right click on it and the click on “Properties” from its context menu.
    • In the properties window, check if the service is started, if not click on “Start”.
    • Also, make sure that the “Startup Type” is set as “Automatic”.
    • Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
    • Now, check if the issue still persists.
    You can also refer to the suggestion by Paulsey from the following link and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...na-arent/5256ebee-2c77-4003-87be-1597ab10cb4d

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need help.

Regards,

Rajeshwari_Patil, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working

1. Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working - Similar Threads - Start Button Cortana

2. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar: Hi there, My PC is only about 3 or 4 months old. That being said, the most recent things that have happened were an update on my pc on the 19th of this month, and I moved my OS from my hdd to an ssd. I cant pinpoint exactly when the issues started happening, but it was within...
  3. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar: Hi there, My PC is only about 3 or 4 months old. That being said, the most recent things that have happened were an update on my pc on the 19th of this month, and I moved my OS from my hdd to an ssd. I cant pinpoint exactly when the issues started happening, but it was within...
  4. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  6. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  7. Start Button and Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Button and Search bar not working: Hi All, I have tried googling the above issues and took several steps to solve this to no avail. below are the steps which I took: 1 SFC scan - told me not issues. 2 Clean boot 3 Get-AppXPackage- Error: The database disk image is malformed 4 Start application...
  8. start button and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start button and search bar not working: dear sir respectfully i beg to say that after purchase of laptop i face many problem in window 10 i install program and after installation window not working properly. program running after installing and after restart program not work. 8 days working i want to solution...
  9. Microsoft Store, Cortana, Search Bar, Start Button DO NOT WORK

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store, Cortana, Search Bar, Start Button DO NOT WORK: For whatever reason the microsoft store has been deleted from my PC and I am unable to reinstall it. The search bar, start button, and cortana do not work either. The main issue is getting the microsoft store back but every last solution has failed. This is a problem...
  10. Cortana and Search buttons not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Search buttons not working: Recently I noticed Cortana had failed to operate when I hit the button. Then I noticed that when I hit search, again nothing happened. I think these problems may be related. 77278