Windows 10: start button don't work

Discus and support start button don't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; when i click on the start button, either right or left click, there is absolutelyno kind of response. i cannot get to the control panel, nor turn off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamjumbo, Nov 17, 2015.

1. iamjumbo Win User

start button don't work

when i click on the start button, either right or left click, there is absolutelyno kind of response. i cannot get to the control panel, nor turn off the laptop, nor anything else. the stupid thing is only two months old

what is wrong with it, other than it being windows ten?

:)

iamjumbo, Nov 17, 2015

2. Start Button and Cortina don't work

Usually it's a permissions problem, like a system folder lost rights, but that troubleshooter should find that. I'm not sure any more targeted approaches, but maybe instead of a refresh, just create a new user account, drag files to the new user's folder,
    and delete that problem account?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 17, 2015
  3. DougGVT Win User
    Start Button and Cortina don't work

Shawn -

I tried running the troubleshooter from the problem account and it wouldn't run, 'A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from Starting'.

I don't have anything of value in that account but I've tried deleting it and recreating it by inviting it into the Microsoft Family and it seems to do the same thing each time..... I'd like to create a new account but it seems that user accounts are now
    tied to Microsoft Accounts.

DougGVT, Nov 17, 2015
  4. pjmarkert Win User

start button don't work

Make sure windows is up to date

pjmarkert, Nov 17, 2015
  5. iamjumbo Win User
    how can i do that whn i can't get to anything?  i can't even shut down the laptop.  i wwanted to do a system restore, but i can't get to any function s

iamjumbo, Nov 18, 2015
  6. JohnC Win User
    System restore is turned off by default. Try to run the SFC command to check to integrity of the system files. Once you get everything working again turn on system restore and make a restore point. This is from the tutorial forum. SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums .

JohnC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

start button don't work

1. start button don't work - Similar Threads - start button don't

2. Start Button Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Button Not Working: For the past week or so, the start menu button has not been working. After searching online, I've tried basically everything I can think of besides resetting Windows. I've tried:- Rebooting - Adding EnableXamlStartMenu to the registry - Reinstalling all windows packages...
  3. Start button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button not working: I have an Hp laptop running version 20H (OS build 19042.928) and the start button is not working. This happened after I got remote support for a program that was returning some errors. The people who gave me support for said program have spend an entire week trying to fix...
  4. Start button is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button is not working: My laptop start button is not working correctly when IClick on it nothing happens, the windows key on the keyboard is not working aswell. If I move the pointer to the bottom left of the windowsbutton and click it opens up as if I have left clicked. I have tried restarting...
  5. Start Button not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start Button not working: Start Button not working after Windows 10 2004 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/3cfa7f07-9f20-4939-9365-2b4612d61a8a
  6. start button not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start button not working: start button stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/8227ba9a-2479-489f-b5bb-9d7c5237bb7a
  7. Buttons don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Buttons don't work: Help!!! My 't' and 'y' don't work properly. Occasionally they do work like they are now but usually, they don't work at all. My left shift and backspace don't work often either. I have a Dell Inspiron 13 (bought 6/2/2018) I do have insurance on my device but don't wish to...
  8. Start Button Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working?: What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working? 48746
  9. Start button, search and date/time on the taskbar don't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start button, search and date/time on the taskbar don't work: Right now, and for no apparent reason, when I click on the task bar on the start menu, the search function or the date/time, nothing happens.... This first appeared during a background Windows update (I realized later, during reboot, that Windows was updating. I was in a...
  10. Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 START and SEARCH buttons don't work: For some reason both my main Windows button and Search buttons don't work. Other buttons on the Task Bar work as usual. Right click on either button gives a white-on-black context menu. Anyone have a suggestion, please? 64872