Windows 10: start button Inoperative search partially working no rollback help

Discus and support start button Inoperative search partially working no rollback help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I foolishly upgraded to 10 from 7HP OA 64bit at the begining of the month and all appeared fine except for occasional unexplained desktop background... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aislingean, Aug 19, 2015.

1. start button Inoperative search partially working no rollback help

I foolishly upgraded to 10 from 7HP OA 64bit at the begining of the month and all appeared fine except for occasional unexplained desktop background changes until yesterday.
    Suddenly the start menu dissappeared and search did not work.
    On line info suggested this was common and suggested a fix using powershell
    Fix failed
    With no start menu I struggled to access restore or similar options
    Found access to restore and selected most recent retore failed and no boot
    Several Blue Screens later and promises to repair etc non of the restore points were viable. I had no boot
    Following on screen suggestions I tried Reset ...... Failed due to Cortana problem ???? said Boot device inacessable etc etc
    Eventually found access to safemode and managed to boot and restore worked on third attempt.
    Roll back to win 7 failed due to all folders in win old being empty or deleted by MS before the month was up
    Still no solution to start menu or search cannot rollback and cannot download an ISO as Gateway/acer product key will not verify
    No Cortana because it is now not available for english english and no edge as I cannot find it and no other apps
    I have a broken system but I have managed to restore some functionality although it is very slow.
    Some one suggested a conflict with Avast so have removed Avast and Defender is running

Advice will be gratefully received
    Thanks
    Dave

:)

aislingean, Aug 19, 2015

2. Inoperative start button

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    also ask these questions.

- Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?
    - Are you facing this issue on a local account or the MSA?
    - Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

Ensure to login to the Microsoft account to check if that helps.

Also suggest you to install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

if the issue still persists then refer the below steps.

1.Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

2.Click File > Run New Task.

3.Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

4.Type CMD.

5.Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

6.Close the CMD window

Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

If the issue occurs with the MSA then you can also run the Microsoft account troubleshooter to check the status

Microsoft Account Troubleshooter:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Akheel Ahmed, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Inoperative start button

Every time I try to click the start button, I get a "critical error" message that says: "Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." It never gets fixed and I have no access to any of the start menu or apps. This is
    getting old. How do I fix it?

RossRagland, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

start button Inoperative search partially working no rollback help

1. start button Inoperative search partially working no rollback help - Similar Threads - start button Inoperative

2. start button, search button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start button, search button not working: I updated to the most recent version of windows a couple days back, once my system booted up again the whole task bar vanished it was there but completely blank i resolved the issue by going through command prompt and deleting some of the newest updates. But after that the...
  3. start button, search button not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button, search button not working: I updated to the most recent version of windows a couple days back, once my system booted up again the whole task bar vanished it was there but completely blank i resolved the issue by going through command prompt and deleting some of the newest updates. But after that the...
  4. Search inoperative

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search inoperative: Hi all, My PC contains a directory of directories named “Documents” where all the documents I created are stored. In particular I know because I can open it there is a Word file containing the word “Cardan”: located in directory “Documents”, subdirectory...
  5. Search inoperative

Search inoperative: Hi all, My PC contains a directory of directories named “Documents” where all the documents I created are stored. In particular I know because I can open it there is a Word file containing the word “Cardan”: located in directory “Documents”, subdirectory...
  6. Start button inoperative

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button inoperative: hello, the start button on my pc does not activate anything, and also, the search box adjacent to it does not accept any input. this has been an ongoing issue since September: i have attempted all the potential cures that have been offered in the thread including the CMD line...
  7. Start button inoperative

Start button inoperative: hello, the start button on my pc does not activate anything, and also, the search box adjacent to it does not accept any input. this has been an ongoing issue since September: i have attempted all the potential cures that have been offered in the thread including the CMD line...
  8. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  9. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  10. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working