Windows 10: Start button left click nothing happens

Discus and support Start button left click nothing happens in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a Dell XPS 11. Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options. Nothing happens. There's a hamburger on the top left which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfourkays, Sep 14, 2015.

1. cfourkays Win User

Start button left click nothing happens

Have a Dell XPS 11.
    Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options.
    Nothing happens.
    There's a hamburger on the top left which will bring up the start menu, Most Used, Recently Added and File Explorer, Settings, etc. At the bottom, Power Symbol and a half hamburger that brings up all Apps.
    It does not open the Cortana search.
    Don't know what the owner did but all was OK at setup.
    No Restore Points available.
    Pete

:)

cfourkays, Sep 14, 2015

2. Right click start button win 10 nothing happens

Hi Ken,

What you've observed normally happens when the tablet mode is being activated on your computer. For us to verify if this has caused the problem, let's check if the tablet mode is on and have it turned off. Follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and click System.
    • Click Table mode in the left pane.
    • Look for Make Windows more touch–friendly when using your device as a tablet and turn it off.

Once done, check if you can now right-click the Windows key. Let us know how it goes so we can help you further.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Right click start button win 10 nothing happens

When I right click windows button on windows 10 nothing happens

KenCanaway, Sep 14, 2015
  4. stigus Win User

stigus, Sep 14, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, there are various ways of disabling Cortana, which you can easily find on the internet and then investigate. A search for 'Cortana not working' yields many results; perhaps one will help you.

What happens when you hit Win S? (Should launch Cortana). It is also possible to adversely affect Cortana by changing various privacy settings. Some have found the 'reset to default' (or similar) in O&O shutup's freeware program has helped.

I'm not quite clear what you're saying- it sounds like you do have a start screen, and missing Cortana is your main issue- can you confirm/ post a screen shot?

Also check the Action Centre, and check if e.g. Location is shaded out.

(System Restore is not enabled by default in Win 10)

dalchina, Sep 14, 2015
  6. cfourkays Win User
    I didn't explain this right.
    Booting up comes to a screen that would normally be there when I clicked on the Start button.
    Left clicking the Start button does nothing.
    Right clicking in what little space does nothing.
    Can be used by clicking on bottom left symbol opens all Apps.
    Clicking on top left hamburger opens what would would be normal Desktop and tiles slide over.

Instead of the Desktop, the Life at a glance and Play and explore tiles are there.
    Its got to be a setting somewhere.

Pete

cfourkays, Sep 16, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, is it as simple as you being in tablet mode when you expect to be in desktop mode?
    Settings: System, Tablet Mode

dalchina, Sep 16, 2015
  8. cfourkays Win User

*Redface*Redface*Redface*Redface
    Is that enough said?

I've set up a few 2-in-1s but I guess I never looked at the Tablet mode.

Thanks. I probably won't make this mistake again.

Pete

cfourkays, Sep 16, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    It's ok, others have done the same. Too many new settings..

dalchina, Sep 16, 2015
  10. mikez22 Win User
    Uhhh.... how do you get to "settings" if you can't open the "Life at a glance"... that is where the settings button is.

mikez22, Nov 7, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    E.g. Rt click start button (or Win key + R) to open a Run box.
    Then type or cut and paste
    ms-settings:display
    Then navigate to 'Tablet'.

QED

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start button left click nothing happens - Similar Threads - Start button left

2. Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens: Was having problems with taskbar items and played around and fixed them but yesterday found that when I click on the start button nothing happens. Dont know how long its been like that as dont use it often so maybe not my playing caused it. Have tried to find a solution...
  3. Nothing happens when I click 'browse' button.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nothing happens when I click 'browse' button.: Whenever I click 'browse' button to open a file or to save one it does nothing. I tried SFC and DISM commands and nothing achieved. I'm sure there is a problem with a 'dll' file in the system32 directory, however, I cannot locate it as I don't know what its name is. Any help...
  4. Netflix after click install button nothing happens

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Netflix after click install button nothing happens: Netflix after click install button nothing happens Ukraine version of store Any other apps installs as expected. Win 10 updated and rebooted after. What i have already tried: 1 Reset app 2 Run Troubleshooting 3 Clear cache via WIN+R->wsreset.exe 4 Sign out / Sign in...
  5. windows 10 start button and taskbar buttons "no-show" nothing happens when clicked

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 start button and taskbar buttons "no-show" nothing happens when clicked: i am confused if virus or malware causes this problem, cause nothing happens if i clicked any taskbar buttons including start. windows is updated but still nothing happens. your opinions are highly appreciated...
  6. Right clicking on start button or Edge nothing happens.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right clicking on start button or Edge nothing happens.: About 2 weeks ago I noticed that all my bookmarks had dissappeared, then when I right click on the start menu nothing happens, now Edge won't open when I click on it on the taskbar, then today I went into my computer and my picture and documents files are gone. I have tried a...
  7. Left Click on Start Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Left Click on Start Does Nothing: Windows 10 was working, then I used CCleaner to delete temporary files. Now, when I left click on Start, there is a momentary blue circle over Start indicating that the machine is busy performing a task, but nothing else happens. Right clicking on start brings up a menu of...
  8. windows start button no left click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows start button no left click: Hello I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new browser will not start and internet explorer browser icon went away. Can I do another free upgrade by using system restore?...
  9. Left mouse click - nothing happens (3 of 7) W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Left mouse click - nothing happens (3 of 7) W10: Have weird behavior of left mouse click. Sometimes have to click one more time as used to, to achieve normal function. It's everywhere, on desktop etc. Have disabled from control panel power options some USB power saving functions but to no good. As said when left clicking...
  10. Clicking Start Button does nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Clicking Start Button does nothing: My Win10 Home 64 bit computer was working correctly yesterday. Today there was one notification which just showed 'windows.immersivecontrolpanel-cw5n1h2xyewy! microsoft.windows.it', although I am not sure if the last part was something like 'immersive' as the last character...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. left click windows button nothing happens

2. when i left click on start nothing happens