Windows 10: Start button not working, certain applications need to be reinstalled, cannot windows+tab,...

Discus and support Start button not working, certain applications need to be reinstalled, cannot windows+tab,... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I suddenly encountered a plethora of problems, none of which I know how to fix. Please help me Problems: Task bar buttons do not work. (i.e... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tim Tolop, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Tim Tolop Win User

Start button not working, certain applications need to be reinstalled, cannot windows+tab,...

I suddenly encountered a plethora of problems, none of which I know how to fix. Please help me

Problems:

• Task bar buttons do not work. (i.e clicking on time, volume or wifi)
    • Windows buttons do not work.( Windows key, windows + tab, discovery)
    • Settings does not work. (Cannot open settings either through run, no other way to open it)
    • Cortana does not work
    • I needed to reinstall drivers for my graphics card, even though they were already installed, Discord stopped working, and does not let me reinstall it.

Things I've tried so far:

>Scanning and repairing the drive (it worked, now it says there are no errors)

> Trying to open powershell and reinstalling all microsoft apps (powershell opens for half a second and closes)

> Defragmenting drives

My ideas:

I have two drives, a 250gb ssd which I bought this year and an old 2TB mechanical hardrive. They are both listed as one drive through a caching application called AMD StoreMI. I believe that the problem might lie within the older drive, but I have yet to find any corrupted files.

:)

Tim Tolop, Dec 3, 2018

2. Start Menu, Start Bar, Notifications and Alt+Tab not working

Hi all,

I have had this problem for several weeks now. I think it may have been introduced during an Update in December.

The symptoms of the issue include:

• Start menu is broken
      • Button can be hovered over (animation), but cannot be clicked or right clicked.
    • Windows Explorer is very slow to open
    • Alt + Tab does not work
    • Certain applications break
      • Including Slack, Discord and Steam. Maybe others too but these ones just will not open or are totally frozen on whatever "Frame" they have last rendered.
    • The notifications panel (bottom right next to the clock) will not open
    • The calendar will not open
    • Any settings menu that follows the Windows 10 theme will not open
      • Example "Settings" opens but sits on the blue window with the cog in the middle, never loading fully.
    To try and resolve this I have taken many steps.

Steps taken:

• Opening the command line and typing sfc /scannow
    • Creating a new Windows user copying all of my files across, deleting the old user and signing into the new user with my microsoft account.
      • As executed by Support Agent 1.
    • Repaired windows downloading the Windows 10 iso as executed by Support agents 2 and 3.
    • Ensured Windows 10 is up-to-date with the latest version.
    • Ensured all other drivers are up to date.

The issue is still persisting and at this point it's looking like I may have to format the drive and reinstall everything - not something I want to do as my internet if fairly slow for downloading all my programs, and I also use this PC for work so would
    rather not have to potentially take time out of my work schedule.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might fix this, or will Windows be patching this issue?

Thanks

AgentMilkshake1, Dec 3, 2018
  3. twiggs462 Win User
    Start Button Not Working?

What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working?

twiggs462, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Start button not working, certain applications need to be reinstalled, cannot windows+tab,...

Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Start button not working, certain applications need to be reinstalled, cannot windows+tab,...

1. Start button not working, certain applications need to be reinstalled, cannot windows+tab,... - Similar Threads - Start button working

2. Microphone not working for certain applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not working for certain applications: Hi I am Joshua.I use an Windows 11 Laptop, and I had been experiencing some issues with the Bluetooth microphones At first, they were working well, but later, A Microsoft visual c++ library error, "Assertion Failed", popped up.From that point, microphone is not working in the...
  3. Windows Button not working for certain shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Button not working for certain shortcuts: I have a problem with my windows button. I usually use the windows button with the right or left arrow to split my screen but it does not work anymore and so does my the screenshot function Windows Button +print screen. So I thought that my Windows button was totally gone....
  4. Windows Button not working for certain shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Button not working for certain shortcuts: I have a problem with my windows button. I usually use the windows button with the right or left arrow to split my screen but it does not work anymore and so does my the screenshot function Windows Button +print screen. So I thought that my Windows button was totally gone....
  5. Certain buttons on keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Certain buttons on keyboard not working: Hello, I've just bought a new gaming laptop, and I noticed certain buttons are not working. From what I can see so far, its only the Tab, Caps Lock and the number 1 at the top of my keyboard that are not responding when pressed. Anyone know how to fix this? I have...
  6. this application cannot start as it cannot create needed files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    this application cannot start as it cannot create needed files: ES:tengo unos juegos que antes me funcionaban son burnin rubber 3 y 4.pero ahora cuando voy a ejecutarlos me sale "esta aplicación no puede iniciarse porque no puede crear los archivos necesarios" ¿como lo soluciono?como dato tengo que movi el juego de "archivos de programa"...
  7. Certain Windows applications not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain Windows applications not working.: After some of my applications started to have issues, i first tried reinstalling all of the Microsoft visual c++ Redistributable packages which did not work, i them used the DISM tool for repair, which did work, however after i got everything working I noticed that the start...
  8. Start button not working after Windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button not working after Windows reinstall: After a series of blue screen problems I have done a complete reinstall of Windows 10 on my Surface Pro. Cortana talked me through the installation, but when I finally got to the desktop the Start button is not working. Left click does nothing. Right click displays a list of...
  9. the windows 10 store APPLICATION CANNOT BE STARTED TRY REINSTALLING THE APPLICATION TO FIX...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the windows 10 store APPLICATION CANNOT BE STARTED TRY REINSTALLING THE APPLICATION TO FIX...: [IMG] Skype MyOffice Photo and Etc. can't use [ATTACH] Please help me to fix this problem. Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Microsoft Store...
  10. Cannot Click Certain Buttons On Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot Click Certain Buttons On Browser: I have a particular Web page where I fill in various check boxes/radio buttons and then click on "Enter". diy network blog cabin 2015 sweepstakes entry | DIY Network Blog Cabin Giveaway | DIY All of the actions work except the latter. I fill in the form and clicking...