Windows 10: Start button quit working - oh the agony!

Discus and support Start button quit working - oh the agony! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Driver update gone bad caused my start button to stop working. I have tried sfc /scannow but it didn't find any issues. I don't want to do a system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Azucho98, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Azucho98 Win User

Start button quit working - oh the agony!

Driver update gone bad caused my start button to stop working. I have tried sfc /scannow but it didn't find any issues. I don't want to do a system restore because the last time I did, that caused more problems! (edge vanished)

Any clever ways to fix this without creating a new user account?

Thanks!

:)

Azucho98, Dec 14, 2015

2. Windows 10 start menu button quit working

Hi,

I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Windows 10 start menu button quit working

My PC is an HP Envy 700

I'm not sure what you mean by build, but it is running Windows 10 with whatever updates they've provided.

My security app is Webroot Secure Anywhere. It's been on my computer since I bought it.

I've not made any system setting changes I'm aware of.

Thank you for your help with this issue.

biggdawg49, Dec 14, 2015
  4. Steve C Win User

System restore would be the best solution followed by a in place repair installation. Do you have a system backup. If not, I recommend the excellent free program Macrium Reflect.

You could install Classic Shell. I've configured it so that the mouse hovering over the start button open the Classic Shell menu and tapping on the start button opens the Windows start menu - so you can use both. However, I usually just use Classic Shell.

Steve C, Dec 15, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Have you tried this ? ............................
    Right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Dec 15, 2015
  6. Azucho98 Win User
    I did try your suggestion above but it didn't work. I re-ran my ISO DVD from the November update and that solved the problem.

The question is - why does this keep happening? So many users have this problem (happened to me twice now on two different machines). Is Microsoft ever going to fix this bug?

Azucho98, Dec 15, 2015
  7. Azucho98 Win User
    Windows 10 system restore has caused me headaches in the past - When I ran it previously, it fixed the start button problem but caused Microsoft Edge to disappear!

Azucho98, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start button quit working - oh the agony! - Similar Threads - Start button quit

2. Start Button Quits Working along with Search Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Button Quits Working along with Search Bar: I did a clean re-install of Win11 with no problems and Windows was re-activated as expected. I then started to re-install a few apps. Two days later I noticed the Start Button was black and non-operational, the Search Bar was non-functioning, and the Network Internet Access...
  3. Start Button Quits Working along with Search Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Button Quits Working along with Search Bar: I did a clean re-install of Win11 with no problems and Windows was re-activated as expected. I then started to re-install a few apps. Two days later I noticed the Start Button was black and non-operational, the Search Bar was non-functioning, and the Network Internet Access...
  4. Start Button Quit Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Button Quit Working: The start button on one of my profiles recently stopped working. The search functions as well, both the search bar in the taskbar and in File Explorer. The other profile is fine. I've tried everything I could find: Logging out/in to my account, Restarting Windows Explorer;...
  5. Start Button Quit Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Button Quit Working: The start button on one of my profiles recently stopped working. The search functions as well, both the search bar in the taskbar and in File Explorer. The other profile is fine. I've tried everything I could find: Logging out/in to my account, Restarting Windows Explorer;...
  6. Start Button Quit Working

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Start button is not working

Start button is not working: My laptop start button is not working correctly when IClick on it nothing happens, the windows key on the keyboard is not working aswell. If I move the pointer to the bottom left of the windowsbutton and click it opens up as if I have left clicked. I have tried restarting...
  8. Start Button not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start Button not working: Start Button not working after Windows 10 2004 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/3cfa7f07-9f20-4939-9365-2b4612d61a8a
  9. start button not working

start button not working: start button stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/8227ba9a-2479-489f-b5bb-9d7c5237bb7a
  10. Start Button Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working?: What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working? 48746