Windows 10: Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working

Discus and support Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working in Cortana to solve the problem; My start button, search bar, settings are all broke, I've tried to repair windows through a usb driveI've tried to download windows from setup.exeI... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by WyattTheBuell, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working

My start button, search bar, settings are all broke, I've tried to repair windows through a usb driveI've tried to download windows from setup.exeI have tried a system point restoreI have tried fixes from these threads:Can't open settings windows 10 - Microsoft CommunityCannot access Start Menu, Search, or Settings in Windows 10 - Microsoft CommunityNothing seems to work my error when trying to open settings is"ms-settings:File system error -2144927439"My Version and build is:"Version 21H2 OS Build 19044. 1586"My specs are:AMD Ryzen 3 3200gDDR4 2x8gbAMD Radeon Vega 8 GraphicsErica2 Motherb

:)

WyattTheBuell, Apr 11, 2022
  2. rezelute Win User

Settings search not working and start bar not clicking setting options

After testing, I have figured out that (In indexed locations) if I have everything indexed apart from this: "C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\I ndexed\Settings\en-GB"

Then setting search works however it is alittle slow (obviously because indexing is turned off), however after checking that option again and searching it just says "search results aren't quite ready yet". I have a laptop with a freshly installed WIn 10 on it (after a format) and the settings with indexing worked fine. So I have copied the folder contents of that laptop "C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\I ndexed\Settings\en-GB" but it still does not work. It does seem to me like something is broken with indexing the settings but I have no idea what....

Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working [​IMG]

Any suggestions?

rezelute, Apr 11, 2022
  3. dalchina Win User

That error message in your first post is typical of a mismatch in language configuration as has been discussed on a good many occasions here. I've experienced it. And of course indexing was complete.

Have you changed your display language to UK English?

If so, you must also download the UK speech pack. Then there are region and timezone settings.

Usually Cortana tends to offer somewhat helpful messages relating to this.
    Try Windows key + S.

One way to completely reset language settings is to do an in-place upgrade repair install, and on one occasion when I couldn't untangle this, that's what I did. Of course I was then back to US English, but I could try again.

Check these:

The repairs you have tried won't fix this.

What is downright stupid is
    a. MS's totally misleading message
    b. That MS has not provided a robust wizard-based way of changing language to guide users thru the steps to lead to a consistent state.

Feedback Feedback Feedback...!

dalchina, Apr 11, 2022
  4. rezelute Win User

Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working

This is really getting on my nerves now, I have been trying to fix both issues for hours now and no avail.
    Lets start with the first issue, if I try to search in settings, it just says "search results aren't quite ready yet". As soon as I type anything in fact, it doesn't even take the time to search in Settings, it just immediately says that.

I have tried the following solutions:

1- "sfc /scannow", "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" and "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth". Neither of these 3 commands gave any errors

2- Indexing: I have rebuilt indexing several times and made sure that the integral parts of the C drive are selected. Note that I have set indexing to go to another drive (H) however I have reset this back to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft" and this made no difference.

3- Some people have said that it is because my language should be set thoroughly to 'United Kingdom' and that you need to download the UK speech pack so I have set all my language/region/speech to 'United Kingdom'. This however brought up another issue - if I open up the start bar and search for anything related to the settings options such as "Cortana" or "Display settings" or "windows update settings" (basically anything under settings heading), I can't click on any of those options... If I switch my language back to "United States" then the setting options in the start bar are clickable again.

Now here is the really funny part, when everything is set back to "United States" and click on Cortana settings in the start bar, there is no "United States" option to set Cortana's language to be, only "United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, etc". If I select "United Kindgom" in Cortana settings, it states that the region is different to Cortana's language (Because the system is configured as United States and Cortana language is United Kingdom).

4- A Microsoft moderator mentioned to create a new Admin User Account and test if the search in settings works, I have done this and I can confirm that it does not work either, it still says "search results aren't quite ready yet". Creating a new account however does solve the start bar issues I have having in step 3. So when I create a new account, the language is set to "United Kingdom" and I can search in the start bar for any setting options and click on any of them.

I have had this issue for a while now, I think since I migrated from Windows 7.

Does anyone have any ideas at all!? Short of formatting (Not something I would like to do), I can't think of any other solutions.

Thank you for any help.

(Screenshot of Cortana language being different to system language)

rezelute, Apr 11, 2022
Thema:

Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working

1. Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working - Similar Threads - Start Button Search

2. Settings, Search and Start button are all not working,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings, Search and Start button are all not working,: I believe I have the windows 11 update, but honestly I cant tell as the Settings, Search and Start button are all not working,I can right click the Start button to get some options, but most of those options won't work either. The Search and Settings buttons are completely...
  3. Settings, Search and Start button are all not working,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings, Search and Start button are all not working,: I believe I have the windows 11 update, but honestly I cant tell as the Settings, Search and Start button are all not working,I can right click the Start button to get some options, but most of those options won't work either. The Search and Settings buttons are completely...
  4. Firewall, Search bar and Settings aren't working.

Firewall, Search bar and Settings aren't working.: Ever since I clean installed windows 10 from windows 11, ive been getting this problem where I cannot use the search bar or settings, it instantly closes itself after being opened, I searched around and found something about firewall not working properly and that's when I...
  5. Firewall, Search bar and Settings aren't working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall, Search bar and Settings aren't working.: Ever since I clean installed windows 10 from windows 11, ive been getting this problem where I cannot use the search bar or settings, it instantly closes itself after being opened, I searched around and found something about firewall not working properly and that's when I...
  6. Firewall, Search bar and Settings aren't working.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  8. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  9. Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working: My start button, search bar, settings are all broke, I've tried to repair windows through a usb driveI've tried to download windows from setup.exeI have tried a system point restoreI have tried fixes from these threads:Can't open settings windows 10 - Microsoft...
  10. Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working

Start Button, Search Bar, Network settings, Settings aren't working: My start button, search bar, settings are all broke, I've tried to repair windows through a usb driveI've tried to download windows from setup.exeI have tried a system point restoreI have tried fixes from these threads:Can't open settings windows 10 - Microsoft...